Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Decoding of Eddy Merckx frames

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 03:29 PM
dynomatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that album assist. They must have uploaded but I just couldn’t share.

thanks
matt
Old 12-09-22, 03:51 PM
dynomatt

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that album assist. They must have uploaded but I just couldn’t share.

thanks
matt
Old 12-09-22, 07:10 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuovo Record
Hi Jacek,

Am looking at frame no.
P 0
Z 7300

The size should be 50 cm. The seller calls it a Corsa Extra but that would mean an "X" in the frame number, wouldn´t it?
What is it, really...?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,
Nuovo
My guess is a 1985 Professional, SL tubing.
Old 12-09-22, 11:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by dynomatt

thanks
matt
Gotta have 10 recent posts, 5 x 2 days to post them in threads.
Old 12-11-22, 08:56 AM
jsf_bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Merziac, I am looking at a Merckx frame with a Y 5 on left --- A6382 on the right. I can't find any real clues as yet to any other info...Any ideas?
Old 12-12-22, 01:41 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by jsf_bikes
Merziac, I am looking at a Merckx frame with a Y 5 on left --- A6382 on the right. I can't find any real clues as yet to any other info...Any ideas?
So I'm not your guy, paging @CyclesMakaron

Check my avatar, Merz is my main deal and I do have a couple of Merckx's.

Merz's

10th Anniversary tribute

Last edited by merziac; 12-12-22 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-12-22, 01:56 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Very interesting frame !
Built in December 1993 for the 1994 season, probably for a profi team ( not sure which one ).
U.Scanini is a Belgian brand (frames imported from Italy), Eric Vanderaerden (prominent cyclist) used their frames and as a result his name was next to the name of the "manufacturer".
Since U.Scanini "rebranded" the frames, EMC's Mx Leaders may also have gone to him.
In 1998 Team Collstrop used E.Vanderaerden there (in 1996,1999 and 2000 he used EMC frames).
To check is who used U.Scanini/E.Vanderaerden frames between 1994 and 2000 and a piece of paper (if it survived) on the fork steering tube.
Old 12-12-22, 01:59 AM
CyclesMakaron

Z7300 - is most likely Professional (late) Columbus SL. Lack of X and Gipiemme brake bridge do not give optimism. Only a photo of the inside of the tubes visible through the BB cover would explain it fully.
Old 12-12-22, 02:07 AM
CyclesMakaron

A6382 Y5 - 1987, but without photos it is impossible to write more.
Around the marking of Y5 maybe missing X, CX, C, M , also check a piece of paper placed on the fork steering tube - maybe something can be read.
Old 12-12-22, 05:29 AM
Nuovo Record

Bikes: Colnago Super (panto) - Gios Professional (1st Generation C-Record) - Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Team USA) - Barellia Reynolds 531 - Fully chromed Columbus steel bike (Patelli?) Super Record Titanium

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
Z7300 - is most likely Professional (late) Columbus SL. Lack of X and Gipiemme brake bridge do not give optimism. Only a photo of the inside of the tubes visible through the BB cover would explain it fully.
Yep, thought so. Thanks anyway - much appreciated!
Old 12-12-22, 05:33 AM
Nuovo Record

Bikes: Colnago Super (panto) - Gios Professional (1st Generation C-Record) - Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra (Team USA) - Barellia Reynolds 531 - Fully chromed Columbus steel bike (Patelli?) Super Record Titanium

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
My guess is a 1985 Professional, SL tubing.
Thank you - I don´t think it is a Corsa Extra either.
Old 12-12-22, 02:50 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,005 Times in 1,783 Posts
Guess I can add mine to the mix.

Best I can tell there's a 55 and a C on the left side,

On the right side it looks like a G and a serial # 453889

Then there's this...

Old 12-13-22, 12:21 AM
CyclesMakaron

G3886 - serial number, frame built in late 1996.
45 - different font size, non-standard marking.
55C - frame size 55 cm, C - marking used at the time only on the Corsa 01 model.
Paint pattern introduced in 2000 for the 2001 season used on Team Domo Farm Frites, frame painted in EMC.
Information posted on a piece of paper attached to the fork steering tube would be very helpful.
Old 12-13-22, 08:05 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
G3886 - serial number, frame built in late 1996.
45 - different font size, non-standard marking.
55C - frame size 55 cm, C - marking used at the time only on the Corsa 01 model.
Paint pattern introduced in 2000 for the 2001 season used on Team Domo Farm Frites, frame painted in EMC.
Information posted on a piece of paper attached to the fork steering tube would be very helpful.
Ah...So a Corsa 01 model not just a Corsa. Now I have more research to do. Seller said it was EL-OS but I really don't know what tubing it is. It weighs 18 lbs 12 ozs in the picture without pedals so It's got to be a fairly light tubeset.

The bike was supposedly ridden by Wendy De Vos on the Domo Farm Frites women's team. I've found one reference to there actually being a women's team with only one rider associated with it. I have found Wendy via Strava but have no way to reach out and ask her.

There was no paper on the fork steerer nor did I even notice any stampings or such.

Thanks for the info!

Back to googling....
Old 12-16-22, 10:23 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Ah...So a Corsa 01 model not just a Corsa. Now I have more research to do. Seller said it was EL-OS but I really don't know what tubing it is. It weighs 18 lbs 12 ozs in the picture without pedals so It's got to be a fairly light tubeset.

The bike was supposedly ridden by Wendy De Vos on the Domo Farm Frites women's team. I've found one reference to there actually being a women's team with only one rider associated with it. I have found Wendy via Strava but have no way to reach out and ask her.

There was no paper on the fork steerer nor did I even notice any stampings or such.

Thanks for the info!

Back to googling....
Welcome to team fries James, a fine team indeed . The paint on yours looks in fantastic condition, great score!

I was out on my MX Leader version today...a mind blowingly good ride

I know nothing about the pro race circuit and am not disputing that Wendy was/is a pro racer, but maybe it could be possible she's just a regular cyclist who had the frame repainted with her name on.

My frame above was dated by Jacek as from 1993, the Domo Farm Frites paint scheme was from much later in 2000/2001. The non drive side of mine also has a name on it that google does not give any inkling about a pro cyclist, so I just assumed it was a keen amateur Belgian cyclist who bought an older Merckx, and in or around or after 2000/2001 got repainted with his name on the top tube.

I'm not on Strava but can't you reach out to people on there to maybe ask her direct? Is she are you on Twitter or Facebook maybe an option too? Its not stalker-ey to try and track someone down to ask their bike history is it? If it was me I'd super pleased to see an old friend again and know that it was still on the road. Just some thoughts for my 2 pence/cents worth.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 12-16-22, 10:48 AM
botty kayer

And these are not mine, and are not in my size so I'm not in the market for them, but I'm sure our eagle eyed Jacek has seen them, and I was just curious and had some paint scheme questions. These are both currently on UK ebay now.

First up is a labelled Corsa Extra in the Team Panasonic paint scheme.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175505088643?hash=item28dceb2083:grcAAOSwC5FjgSyr&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoE%2F5lNHEFXNu8SqMBLb%2BsCV K1WvKAe0GqUBMh283cwkGdhoB%2B0BRkOaRUp8AYM4zAIgZdSUhRx%2FOI1O2b9csKjUU9XuS0JPXamlvdN2Md%2F%2FSQIPrXDq gAgsCFYg2nRkgjaLMHYZRJJG2zEUr4PTt6l8WIU5J%2Fwi9RYdnJyY4vQjqLwRuI%2FJiPIMUK4%2BZknOpYugTOyWBvIJdKQKa% 2BOQmgrc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4jQr7ijYQ
Cube rear brake bridge and flat crowned fork. However the colors on the camo fade from dark blue to lighter blue does not look the same as the one on my 1985 Pro. The one above has two color apart from the dark blue and white, one of which looks more grey. Is this original or a repaint?
For reference here's the camo fade on mine.

My one also has the full chrome rear triangle, right up to the seat pin....

I've seen versions that have a painted rear triangle in the white and blue, and ones with chrome chainstay/s. I have never seen the paint and chrome variant on the chainstays and seatstays of the bike advertised, it just didn't look right to me, no camo fade on the seat stays in particular looked odd, but wondered if Jacek has seen it and what he thought?

And secondly is this MX Leader, it looks to be one of the earlier full Columbus Max versions, before the introduction of the MXL tubeset. But what wowed me about this one was the cool orange to yellow paint drip effect fade on the paint job, and also the starry rear triangle. I don't recall ever having seen that before. Jacek does that paint scheme have a name, was it associated with a team? I was just curious. Tell me more about this please
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334667869...-0&toolid=1001
Old 12-16-22, 12:12 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by botty kayer
Welcome to team fries James, a fine team indeed . The paint on yours looks in fantastic condition, great score!

I was out on my MX Leader version today...a mind blowingly good ride

I know nothing about the pro race circuit and am not disputing that Wendy was/is a pro racer, but maybe it could be possible she's just a regular cyclist who had the frame repainted with her name on.

My frame above was dated by Jacek as from 1993, the Domo Farm Frites paint scheme was from much later in 2000/2001. The non drive side of mine also has a name on it that google does not give any inkling about a pro cyclist, so I just assumed it was a keen amateur Belgian cyclist who bought an older Merckx, and in or around or after 2000/2001 got repainted with his name on the top tube.
I'm not on Strava but can't you reach out to people on there to maybe ask her direct? Is she are you on Twitter or Facebook maybe an option too? Its not stalker-ey to try and track someone down to ask their bike history is it? If it was me I'd super pleased to see an old friend again and know that it was still on the road. Just some thoughts for my 2 pence/cents worth.
Nice!
Yep, I have reached out a couple of ways. I was told she was married to Sven Vanthourenhout who was a Domo-Farm Frites rider and a coach of the Belgium cycling team. I found old google hits about them having some kids. Those same kids did a ride together with the Wendy I found on Strava back in 2021. No recent entries for her though. I did make a comment on that ride hoping she'd get an email alert or something but no response. Love to find out but without seeming too much like a crazed cycling stalker, LOL!

The bike is nice. Some pretty good chips at a few spots on the paint and some chain wear on the one stay. What's curious is the non-treaded fork. It didn't have any label attached nor did I see any stampings or other marks on it. It is a 1" steerer though.

I was able to source the Silva branded blue Merckx tape like I've seen in some of the men's team photo's and have a set heading my way. Last night I got in the 90mm stem I needed for my fit and put that on. I also swapped the white flite saddle for a black Avocet Ti Air I had. So this will at least look like the old men's team bikes. We are getting hammered with snow though so this won't get a test ride for months, augh!!

So right now I guess I'm actively "stalking" to riders for confirmation. Wendy on this one and Oscar Freire on the Olmo. It'd be cool to actually hear back from at least one of them.
Old 12-16-22, 12:24 PM
botty kayer

jamesdak I love a good detective story. Fingers crossed you get a reply with some more info, and post back here with any news. Good luck!
Old 12-17-22, 09:42 AM
CyclesMakaron

Originally Posted by botty kayer
And these are not mine, and are not in my size so I'm not in the market for them, but I'm sure our eagle eyed Jacek has seen them, and I was just curious and had some paint scheme questions. These are both currently on UK ebay now.

First up is a labelled Corsa Extra in the Team Panasonic paint scheme.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175505088643?hash=item28dceb2083:grcAAOSwC5FjgSyr&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoE%2F5lNHEFXNu8SqMBLb%2BsCV K1WvKAe0GqUBMh283cwkGdhoB%2B0BRkOaRUp8AYM4zAIgZdSUhRx%2FOI1O2b9csKjUU9XuS0JPXamlvdN2Md%2F%2FSQIPrXDq gAgsCFYg2nRkgjaLMHYZRJJG2zEUr4PTt6l8WIU5J%2Fwi9RYdnJyY4vQjqLwRuI%2FJiPIMUK4%2BZknOpYugTOyWBvIJdKQKa% 2BOQmgrc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4jQr7ijYQ
Cube rear brake bridge and flat crowned fork. However the colors on the camo fade from dark blue to lighter blue does not look the same as the one on my 1985 Pro. The one above has two color apart from the dark blue and white, one of which looks more grey. Is this original or a repaint?
For reference here's the camo fade on mine.

My one also has the full chrome rear triangle, right up to the seat pin....

I've seen versions that have a painted rear triangle in the white and blue, and ones with chrome chainstay/s. I have never seen the paint and chrome variant on the chainstays and seatstays of the bike advertised, it just didn't look right to me, no camo fade on the seat stays in particular looked odd, but wondered if Jacek has seen it and what he thought?

And secondly is this MX Leader, it looks to be one of the earlier full Columbus Max versions, before the introduction of the MXL tubeset. But what wowed me about this one was the cool orange to yellow paint drip effect fade on the paint job, and also the starry rear triangle. I don't recall ever having seen that before. Jacek does that paint scheme have a name, was it associated with a team? I was just curious. Tell me more about this please
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334667869...-0&toolid=1001
This is a Professional (modified after 1991) and a Corsa Extra Max, both frames repainted "very not in Meise", these are not factory paint schemes.
Old 12-17-22, 12:44 PM
zbillster

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I just picked this one up from Steel Vintage Bikes in Berlin during their Black Friday sale (20% off + free shipping to Texas ... arrived in 2 days!). My calculations are Strada Cromor 62cm c-c, probably 1988 based on the high A serial number and catalog photos with color scheme and logos. The fork, unfortunately, is not original. Has the straight seat stay brake bridge vs. the pointed arched one. Any other insights appreciated! And if anyone runs across an Eddy Merckx steel fork for this 62cm, lemme know!

Last edited by zbillster; 12-17-22 at 05:55 PM. Reason: correction
Likes For zbillster:
Old 12-17-22, 12:58 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
no cable guide on the bottom bracket?
Old 12-17-22, 01:51 PM
zbillster

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
no cable guide on the bottom bracket?
Didn't come with one. I don't have one on my 1994 Colnago SL either. My 1986 Colnago are steel brazed onto the bottom bracket at the factory. I noticed some people build up bikes with and without them.

Last edited by zbillster; 12-17-22 at 05:57 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-18-22, 05:43 PM
zbillster

And here's a photo I captured of her out in the wild ...

Likes For zbillster:
Old 12-23-22, 07:05 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Nice!
Yep, I have reached out a couple of ways. I was told she was married to Sven Vanthourenhout who was a Domo-Farm Frites rider and a coach of the Belgium cycling team. I found old google hits about them having some kids. Those same kids did a ride together with the Wendy I found on Strava back in 2021. No recent entries for her though. I did make a comment on that ride hoping she'd get an email alert or something but no response. Love to find out but without seeming too much like a crazed cycling stalker, LOL!

The bike is nice. Some pretty good chips at a few spots on the paint and some chain wear on the one stay. What's curious is the non-treaded fork. It didn't have any label attached nor did I see any stampings or other marks on it. It is a 1" steerer though.

I was able to source the Silva branded blue Merckx tape like I've seen in some of the men's team photo's and have a set heading my way. Last night I got in the 90mm stem I needed for my fit and put that on. I also swapped the white flite saddle for a black Avocet Ti Air I had. So this will at least look like the old men's team bikes. We are getting hammered with snow though so this won't get a test ride for months, augh!!

So right now I guess I'm actively "stalking" two riders for confirmation. Wendy on this one and Oscar Freire on the Olmo. It'd be cool to actually hear back from at least one of them.
Well, one "mystery" solved. I finally got through to Wendy. She did not ride for the team but also asked Sven if they had one made with her name and he said no. So in the end we have a very nice Corsa 01 with good parts and paint but no "history". No real surprise there. Can't wait for spring so I can get this puppy out on the road!

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-25-23 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-31-22, 06:37 AM
Yurik

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice foto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.