Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brakes - Avid Single Digit 7 vs Avid Single Digit 5

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 02:47 PM
Donnie Johnson
Donnie Jonhson

Bikes: Many, mostly old, steel, heavy and beautiful + one titanium bike; pretty much the complete opposite of my other bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Morning,

I have an old set of XT parallelogram V-Brakes that squeal to no end so have decided to replace them. I am looking at replacing them with a set of Avid V-Brakes, or any other quality V-Brake that is recommended.

Does anyone know the difference between Avid Single Digit 7 and Avid Single Digit 5. Aside from a slight increase in weight and a different brake pad, is the much difference between the two brakes? The Avid Single Digit 7 are almost double the price of the Avid Single Digit 5.

Kind Regards

Donnie
Old 05-07-14, 04:25 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 7 has replaceable pad inserts, slightly better centering mechanism and a stronger noodle hanger. Take a look at the exploded parts list on pages 6 and 7 https://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/VZ..._spc_rev_a.pdf
Old 05-08-14, 10:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
One data point: A rider on another forum reported he had all sorts of problems with SD5's including high lever effort and poor modulation. He solved this by fitting Avid SD "Ultimate" brakes but at over $120 a pair, that's a bit overkill.

I had SD7's on a Surly Cross Check and they were very strong and easy to modulate so take those contrasting experiences for what they are worth. The SD7's use commonly available Shimano-style slip in replacement pads so once you set the holders, they don't have to be realigned when you replace worn pads.
Old 05-08-14, 04:24 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
far as I know sd5 vs sd7 are the same except for finish and pads. I'd just get whichever one matches the bike color then transfer your XT pad holders over
Old 05-08-14, 06:57 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
If you like Shimano, they still make XT v-brakes.

https://www.wiggle.com.au/shimano-xt-...brake-br-t780/
Old 05-21-14, 04:06 AM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SD7 has slightly different cable clamp bolt angle, and hex screws for centre screws instead of screws on the SD5 which flog out pretty quick if you are not care full.
SD7's are a bit nicer but I have been pretty happy with the SD5's too.
Old 05-21-14, 04:37 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Any old cheap stuff works fine for V-brakes IMO, as long as the return springs are properly designed instead of putting a bit of crappy plastic in the force chain.

Modulation is more about the condition and quality of pads and housing, I'd say... levers only need to be half-decent too. I can usually get good results with all sorts of nasty crap; it's mostly just a matter of cable craft.

As for your funky parallelogram jobs, they were a nice idea, but undercooked. Perhaps they were designed to fare well enough with precisely-adjusted pads, but in the real world...

BTW, here's a random pic cause I'm just trying to see if I can embed one hosted here; they usually only come up as clickable thumbnails.

Dammit. BTW, that fancy housing in the pic (Alligator i-Link) is one way to slightly improve the modulation; $40 a set. Dude in Taiwan called gobike88tony sells it cheapest, free postage. Ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140308_181945.jpg (99.7 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by Kimmo; 05-23-14 at 04:39 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 10:31 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I run the SD7's on my hybrid, with Kool-Stop pads. And I use Paul levers as well. Had this going for almost 6 years without a single whimper from them. In fact - if I were to squeeze down with much force at all, I'd fly over the bars.