Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub Offsets - Critical?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub Offsets - Critical?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 09:52 AM
richas

Bikes: Giant Defy Disc 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hub Offsets - Critical?

Hi,
In another thread I talk about replacing a damaged hub on my rear rim brake Zipp 404 wheel. I am having a hard time finding a suitable 20h hub. I have found a Taiwanese hub but the flange offsets are different. Other than affecting spoke length how critical are the flange offsets to wheel performance or safety? This is on a Giant Propel that will be raced.

Thank you

Rich
Old 05-23-23, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Critical for safety? Probably not going to make the bike so unsafe that you'll come to a terrible demise.

I'd think they'd have more to do with what number of speeds you could have on the bike for any particular desired OLD.

Certainly a wheel builder will be along soon to answer.
Old 05-23-23, 11:23 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Since you want to keep the numbers a secret, run them through SpoCalc.
Old 05-23-23, 11:34 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Since you want to keep the numbers a secret, run them through SpoCalc.
No secrets! But I will do that when I have time. More background:

Original hub Zipp 188 V8

From a quick measure of the old hub it looks like the White Industries T11 has the same offsets. (Can't find one though)

Center to left flange 35mm Center to right flange 18mm
Then there is this:
https://www.cycletaiwan.com/circus-m...-rear-hub.html

Not a confidence inspiring name. But it is cheap, 20H, rim brake, and light. I can't seem to figure out the offsets from this drawing.

Also, I am 6'+ and 155 lbs. Not a sprinter.

Thanks all!
Old 05-23-23, 02:23 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
In general a rim does not care about the hub's flange offset.
The rare exceptions would be like HED, Mavic Cosmic carbon, Aeolus, or Flo wheels with soft carbon fairings, where the spoke must go through the hole in the carbon fairing at a particular angle. In that case you need to find a hub that has similar flange diameter and offset as the original.
Old 05-23-23, 02:37 PM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
In general a rim does not care about the hub's flange offset.
The rare exceptions would be like HED, Mavic Cosmic carbon, Aeolus, or Flo wheels with soft carbon fairings, where the spoke must go through the hole in the carbon fairing at a particular angle. In that case you need to find a hub that has similar flange diameter and offset as the original.
interesting! Do these count as “soft fairings”

Old 05-23-23, 03:02 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
No- the ZIPP wheels all use hard, structural carbon fairings. The nipples are anchored in the carbon.
In the soft fairing wheels the nipples anchor in the aluminum rim. The carbon is purely non-structural. There are holes in the carbon for the spoke to go through.
Old 05-23-23, 03:27 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
posted to your previous thread... rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 416 Posts

https://www.bikehubstore.com/RAR12-p/rar12.htm

20h in Black, competitive weight, competitive price. I’ve used a few other Bitex hubs and I’ve always been pleased with the quality.
Old 05-23-23, 06:58 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by richas
No secrets! But I will do that when I have time. More background:

Original hub Zipp 188 V8

From a quick measure of the old hub it looks like the White Industries T11 has the same offsets. (Can't find one though)

Then there is this:

Not a confidence inspiring name. But it is cheap, 20H, rim brake, and light. I can't seem to figure out the offsets from this drawing.

Also, I am 6'+ and 155 lbs. Not a sprinter.

Thanks all!
Based on the drawing the hub is 48.22mm between the flanges (inside to inside) and the offset is 9.3mm (sometimes referred to as dish). Seems that the drawings uses a " , " in place of a decimal point, see this in some number listings in non-USA applications.

Based on the 48.22mm & 9.3mm figures, center to flange distance is: DS 14.81mm (48.22mm divided by 2 minus 9.3mm) and NDS 33.41mm (48.22mm / 2 +9.3mm), inside of flange to center point between the OLD.

Adding half of the flange thickness (3mm / 2), we get: DS 16.31mm and NDS 34.91mm, center of flange to center point between the OLD. This should result in a relative tension of 46.72 NDS to DS (16.31mm/34.91mm).

For comparison to Shimano's method of measuring, (outside of flange to outside of flange), we add full flange thickness of 3mm to each side: DS 17.81mm & NDS 36.41mm. This should result in a relative tension of 48.92 NDS to DS. Shimano 11 speed road hubs are about the same with regards to relative tension. Shimano's hubs are slightly wider between the flanges, (about 3mm), so the bracing angle is slightly better.

Don't know how the measurement of the various other hubs mentioned were taken (inside/inside, center/center, outside/outside).

Not sure about where the NDS/DS relative tension reaches a point where it becomes a problem with regards to wheel strength or stability. Believe that 'hoop strength' and maximum tension that the components can withstand would play a part.
Old 05-24-23, 07:34 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
No- the ZIPP wheels all use hard, structural carbon fairings. The nipples are anchored in the carbon.
In the soft fairing wheels the nipples anchor in the aluminum rim. The carbon is purely non-structural. There are holes in the carbon for the spoke to go through.
Thank you, that makes sense. The original Giant wheels were as you describe, composite fairings but the spokes seated in the aluminum rim.

Rich
Old 05-24-23, 07:35 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
posted to your previous thread... rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 416 Posts

https://www.bikehubstore.com/RAR12-p/rar12.htm

20h in Black, competitive weight, competitive price. I’ve used a few other Bitex hubs and I’ve always been pleased with the quality.

Ordered! I am still looking for other options like the T11 but at least this is on the way.

Thank you
Old 05-24-23, 07:43 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Based on the drawing the hub is 48.22mm between the flanges (inside to inside) and the offset is 9.3mm (sometimes referred to as dish). Seems that the drawings uses a " , " in place of a decimal point, see this in some number listings in non-USA applications.

Based on the 48.22mm & 9.3mm figures, center to flange distance is: DS 14.81mm (48.22mm divided by 2 minus 9.3mm) and NDS 33.41mm (48.22mm / 2 +9.3mm), inside of flange to center point between the OLD.

Adding half of the flange thickness (3mm / 2), we get: DS 16.31mm and NDS 34.91mm, center of flange to center point between the OLD. This should result in a relative tension of 46.72 NDS to DS (16.31mm/34.91mm).

For comparison to Shimano's method of measuring, (outside of flange to outside of flange), we add full flange thickness of 3mm to each side: DS 17.81mm & NDS 36.41mm. This should result in a relative tension of 48.92 NDS to DS. Shimano 11 speed road hubs are about the same with regards to relative tension. Shimano's hubs are slightly wider between the flanges, (about 3mm), so the bracing angle is slightly better.

Don't know how the measurement of the various other hubs mentioned were taken (inside/inside, center/center, outside/outside).

Not sure about where the NDS/DS relative tension reaches a point where it becomes a problem with regards to wheel strength or stability. Believe that 'hoop strength' and maximum tension that the components can withstand would play a part.
Thank you for working through this. It seems like they didn't make much effort in making that drawing clear. I don't understand relative tension, that is new to me. I have ordered a hub with the same offsets as the original to avoid deviating from the original.

Thanks

Rich
Old 05-24-23, 09:20 AM
KCT1986

Thank you for working through this. It seems like they didn't make much effort in making that drawing clear. I don't understand relative tension, that is new to me. I have ordered a hub with the same offsets as the original to avoid deviating from the original.

Thanks

Rich
The relative tension (also known as tension ratio) is an estimate of the left side tension in relation to the right side.
For example, if the hub has flange spacing that gives a relative tension of 50%, the left side will have half the tension of the right side. So, if the wheel is tensioned to 120 Kgf on the right side, the left will be about 60 Kgf,
Old 05-24-23, 10:00 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
The relative tension (also known as tension ratio) is an estimate of the left side tension in relation to the right side.
For example, if the hub has flange spacing that gives a relative tension of 50%, the left side will have half the tension of the right side. So, if the wheel is tensioned to 120 Kgf on the right side, the left will be about 60 Kgf,
That makes sense, thank you for the explanation.

Rich
Old 05-24-23, 10:04 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have ordered the hub mentioned above. It has 2.3mm spoke holes, can I use 2mm diameter spokes with that hole diameter? The current plan is to buy CX-RAY spokes and reuse the existing nipples. The original spokes are 2mm diameter.

Also I am using SpokeCalc, it asks for "width between holes" and "offset spoke bed" for rim parameters. I am assuming these are both zero for these Zipp wheels, is that correct?

Rich
Old 05-24-23, 12:29 PM
KCT1986

I have ordered the hub mentioned above. It has 2.3mm spoke holes, can I use 2mm diameter spokes with that hole diameter? The current plan is to buy CX-RAY spokes and reuse the existing nipples. The original spokes are 2mm diameter.

Also I am using SpokeCalc, it asks for "width between holes" and "offset spoke bed" for rim parameters. I am assuming these are both zero for these Zipp wheels, is that correct?

Rich
This rim seems to have spoke holes in the center and possible just aligned for L/R spoke path. So no adjustment needed for spoke hole.
Old 05-24-23, 01:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts

Rich
Yes, 2.0mm spokes fit into 2.3mm holes nicely. I would not reuse the nipples myself, and I would get brass ones too. Andy
Old 05-24-23, 01:28 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 333 Posts
Then there is this:
Offset simply dictates the wheel's dish - a single speed wheel has equal dishing, all spokes have the same tension, but when we add multiple sprockets the drive side flange gets moved inboard; that means the drive side spokes need higher tension than the non drive side to balance the structure laterally, as the rim isn't equidistant between the flanges. As the tension in the non drive side is determined by the tension in the drive side a wheel with more dish has to be built with slacker NDS spokes. Spokes are subject to cyclic stress as the wheel rotates with vertical load, wind-up from transmission and hub brakes, and lateral lean - if the stress cycles too deeply, so the spokes become unloaded, then they will suffer early fatigue failure. On the other hand if you tighten the drive side just a little too much to allow increased NDS tension you risk exceeding the limit for pulling a spoke through the rim, or the wheel's ability to stay radially flat so a pothole or crash can cause it to try to collapse in on itself.

Old 05-25-23, 08:34 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Yes, 2.0mm spokes fit into 2.3mm holes nicely. I would not reuse the nipples myself, and I would get brass ones too. Andy
Thanks Andy, I will get new nipples.

Rich
Old 05-27-23, 09:53 AM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I was wrong, the flange holes are 2.6mm in diameter. Still ok for 2mm spokes?

I disassembled the wheel (Older Zipp Speed Weaponry 404) and there are no spoke washers. Is it normal to not use them on these older Zipps?

Last edited by richas; 05-27-23 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-27-23, 04:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
Spoke washers, for the elbow/flange fit, are about elbow length WRT flange thickness far more than hole diameter. One wants the spoke "body" (the main shaft) to be snug against the flange if at all possible. Spoke washers are placed between the spoke head and the flange as needed. 2.6mm holes will work fine with 2mm spokes assuming the elbow length and flange thickness are also good.

Or are you asking about nipple/rim washers? These are rim driven, not hub dependent. Andy
Old 06-06-23, 04:10 PM
richas

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All back together and ready to Rip!

Thanks all for the help.

If I wanted to make a living as a wheel builder I would have to charge by the hour.

Rich

Last edited by richas; 06-07-23 at 07:21 AM.