Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why cut the outer cable housing to expose the wire strands?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 03:26 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

This has always baffled me.
many of the many bikes I have owned or worked.on have had the last 2mm of cable housing plastic removed to expose the wire strands.
I Find this so often that it seems to be a Beat Practice (though Leonard.Zinn is silent on the question)
On Bike Friday folding bikes in particular (where the cable goes slack when the bike is packed) this drives me NUTS.
The trimmed housing invariably falls out if the ferrule and then is often impossible to reinsert.

My various ferrules seem to fit my cable housings just fine without the trim back.

So what's the point? What I missing?

​​​​​​
Old 08-04-23, 03:36 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 749 Posts
The housing shrinks over time. Although, I have seen some cut it back to fit in a ferrule but shouldn't have to do that.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-04-23, 03:45 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 669 Posts
I suspect that somebody could not fit the jacketed housing into the ferrule.

with properly matched small parts this should not be a problem.

I have several little "goodie bags" filled stuff like this. The Weinmann 161 levers are VERY picky. Only the proper parts will fit.

/markp
Old 08-04-23, 03:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3258 Post(s)
Liked 2,099 Times in 1,189 Posts
Never done or heard of this. The housing and cable sets I buy come with end caps that fit over the housing, so no need to trim.
Old 08-04-23, 04:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,228 Times in 2,372 Posts
Originally Posted by pstock
many of the many bikes I have owned or worked.on have had the last 2mm of cable housing plastic removed to expose the wire strands.
I Find this so often that it seems to be a Beat Practice (though Leonard.Zinn is silent on the question)
On Bike Friday folding bikes in particular (where the cable goes slack when the bike is packed) this drives me NUTS.
The trimmed housing invariably falls out if the ferrule and then is often impossible to reinsert.

My various ferrules seem to fit my cable housings just fine without the trim back.

They aren’t cut. The plastic sheath shrinks. I cut the cable housing myself in the picture below. The cable was cut blunt so that the sheathing ran all the way to the end. After a few months, the sheath had shrunk to what you see in the picture. The culprit is probably heat and the polyethylene of the plastic used. “Shrink” tubing is thinner polyethylene.

IMG_1362 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-04-23, 04:20 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 235 Posts

​​​​​​
What type of housing is this? Compressionless (linear) brake housing (seems that there is concentric rings showing in plastic)?

With linear strand housing, the outer plastic for shift or 'burstproof' layer for brake provides the support of the strands. Combined with the ferrules, it provides the structure that the linear strands need.

With standard coiled brake housing, it is sometimes necessary to cut back the plastic to fit in the frame/adjusters, Coiled housing is strong enough to handle this. Older brake tension adjusters was too small to fit some of the housing with the internal slick liners. Think Dia-compe.
Old 08-04-23, 04:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5807 Post(s)
Liked 2,630 Times in 1,459 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
They aren’t cut. The plastic sheath shrinks. I cut the cable housing myself in the picture below. The cable was cut blunt so that the sheathing ran all the way to the end. After a few months, the sheath had shrunk to what you see in the picture. The culprit is probably heat and the polyethylene..

+1

It would be an extra step to cut housing this way, and I doubt anyone would bother.

In most production applications housing is cut with a spray cooled abrasive disc, producing a perfectly square end that you can't duplicate with a cable cutter.

So, I also chalk it up to shrinkage, though I suspect is purely a result of aging.

One way you might confirm is by looking at the fit to the ferrule. These are carefully chosen for a snug, supportive fit. So, the ferrule would match the housing in either the stripped or covered diameter.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-04-23, 05:14 PM
pstock

Bikes: (shortlist) Cyclops, Marinoni, Mariposa, Air Firday, Pocket Rocket Pro, NWT, SLX Fuso, Claude Pottie (France) x3, Masi Team 3v, Lemond Zurich, Bianchi OS

Originally Posted by KCT1986
What type of housing is this? Compressionless (linear) brake housing (seems that there is concentric rings showing in plastic)?

With linear strand housing, the outer plastic for shift or 'burstproof' layer for brake provides the support of the strands. Combined with the ferrules, it provides the structure that the linear strands need.

With standard coiled brake housing, it is sometimes necessary to cut back the plastic to fit in the frame/adjusters, Coiled housing is strong enough to handle this. Older brake tension adjusters was too small to fit some of the housing with the internal slick liners. Think Dia-compe.
compressionless.
shifter housing.
and someone had to work hard to remove just the plastic outer shell and not cut the wire strands. It's not just an accident.
I've encountered this dozens of times. (and I remember each instance because unless/until I can stuff those 12 strands of wire back into the ferrule the bike is unusable).

I cannot figure it out.
but unless someone can tell me I am really missing something, I am ready to move on and just chop off the loose wire strands and reinstall.
Old 08-04-23, 05:57 PM
pstock

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Over time, shift cable does this when using poorly fitting ferrules.
Wait!
do you think the plastic housing shrank leaving the wire strands exposed? and it wasn't cut back deliberately?
No Way! that seems incredible

(though yes, the busted up ferrule is a classic of mashed up housing/ferrule / seat fittings.

Peter
Old 08-04-23, 08:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5807 Post(s)
Liked 2,630 Times in 1,459 Posts
Wait!
do you think the plastic housing shrank leaving the wire strands exposed? and it wasn't cut back deliberately?
No Way! that seems incredible....
Yes, that's what I suspect. I know that the cover material is prone to shrinkage, and I can't see a reason for anyone to make the effort to strip the housing.

So, the "incredible" is more credible than the alternatives.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-04-23 at 08:18 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-04-23, 08:08 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 616 Posts
Merged duplicate threads

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 08-04-23, 08:20 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
If you recable ten bikes that have extensive usage since the last time new cables were installed, I'd estimate at least six or seven of them will have shift cable housing that looks like this to some degree as you remove it. Very, very common. As others have mentioned, heat, the makeup of the housing are likely causes, and I also think the cable housing being put under some stress from usage all play a part.
Old 08-04-23, 09:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6225 Post(s)
Liked 4,228 Times in 2,372 Posts
Wait!
No Way! that seems incredible

(though yes, the busted up ferrule is a classic of mashed up housing/ferrule / seat fittings.

Peter
It has nothing to do with the ferrule. I’ve seen it with plastic ferrules and with metal ferrules. It’s strictly a function of the polymer used for the plastic sheathing. You can trim back the exposed wires without issue if you don’t shorten cable housing too much. It won’t shrink further.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-05-23, 12:02 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
cut a housing with a high speed disc cutoff wheel some time.. the plastic melts back away from the heat, then must be trimmed to fit an end cap over it.

when cutting HUNDREDS of cable housings at once, a stop is set to the correct length, then a Cutoff/Chop Saw with a Thin grinder disc is used to quickly sever the housings at that pre-set length... a wire stripper is then used to strip away the melted plastic..........

and i totally agree that the stranded housings done this way are a problem.
Old 08-05-23, 07:56 AM
pstock

Mystery solved. Who knew!?
I can sleep again.
thanks all.
Old 08-05-23, 12:24 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 235 Posts
Mystery solved. Who knew!?
I can sleep again.
thanks all.
Interesting that the casing retracted that much. Maybe lower quality housing? Or the extreme heat/cold cycles in the area?

Are all the housing ends on this bike the same?
Old 08-05-23, 12:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6233 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 3,335 Posts
On one bike I didn't have a metal ferrule the proper size to fit the cable. So I had to trim back the coating. So maybe you got that bike I'd gotten rid of that I'd done that to. But it was a red bike, not yellow. As others say, that coating does shrink a lot more than you'd expect over time.