Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bar end shifter question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bar end shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 04:03 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
bar end shifter question

I have a set of Shimano 105 bar end shifters on my touring bike.

I noticed the front shifter was loose so I removed the lever and tightened the shifter wedge and when I reassembled the unit it sounds like it is indexed now, it wasn't when I took it apart.

I may have just tightened the swivel bolt but there seems to be an overly complicated washer/spacer in there..can it be repostioned to go either index or friction?

Mike
Old 07-12-11, 04:18 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As far as I know, the front shifter is always friction; then again, I don't know what might happen to a bar end shifter that might make it feel indexed though.
Old 07-12-11, 05:37 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
bykemike, My 8S bar ends came out the same way, but it suits me fine. As I understand it, I caused the 'problem' by not installing the washer properly and could get rid of the detent by rotating it 90 degrees.

Brad
Old 07-12-11, 06:03 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
I'm going to rotate the washer tomorrow, I just noticed on an eBay ad for the shifters.."friction or indexed"

Thx

Mike
Old 07-12-11, 06:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Liked 773 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
I have a set of Shimano 105 bar end shifters on my touring bike.

I noticed the front shifter was loose so I removed the lever and tightened the shifter wedge and when I reassembled the unit it sounds like it is indexed now, it wasn't when I took it apart.

I may have just tightened the swivel bolt but there seems to be an overly complicated washer/spacer in there..can it be repositioned to go either index or friction?

Mike
On the left-side (front derailleur) shifter? There's usually a detent at the center of its travel, but it's not "indexed" per se. It's really friction shifting all of the time.

If you want to check, that "washer" (what Shimano calls a "lever boss cover") should be positioned with the fat tab pointing down, at right angles to the lever body. Take a look at this PDF for a hint:
https://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830628723.pdf

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-12-11, 09:22 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Mike, I left mine with the detent because I discovered that shifting from the 44T to the 32T only required hitting the detent, so almost like indexed, but not quite. Going from the 22T to the 32T I shift to just beyond the detent. Something you may like if it works out for you.

Brad