Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which SRAM groupset to get for my new commuting bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 01:19 AM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm putting together a bike from an Specialized Allez e5 frame, and, as the frame is all black, I'd like to put in a groupset that's also black, so I'm thinking to go with an SRAM; specifically, an Apex (lowest in the line), however, now I'm having second thoughts as to whether I should pony up for a more expensive one in terms of functional quality (eg. the quality of the brakes).

I've seen builds on this 2013 frame are typically being done with the SRAM Red (top of the line), but since the main purpose of the bike will be daily commuting and all those components will be uninsured, I'm not sure if the expense (for a more expensive group) would be justifiable in terms of me getting more reliable-efficient braking/much nicer gear shifting etc.
Practical issues mostly is what I'm concerned with (not thinking of weight shelving as main priority).

I had some Tektro (stock) brakes in a mtb last year and almost ended up under the wheels a Ford truck with them once (changed them MINUTES later for some Shimano ones, and it was night/day difference), so I want good and reliable mechanics this time. Still it'd be good not to break the bank, specially if it's just for saving a small amount of grams.

Thanks much for your opinions and any suggestion
Old 06-02-13, 04:51 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Braking, SRAM Force is the best bang-O-buck out there, their brakes are on same level as Dura-Ace (7800/7900) which I find the best in the world.
SRAM Rival for a commuter, bit below Force but very durable and high quality.
I have 1 bike with DuraAce brakes and three with SRAM Force, it gets no better. Tektro are a fill in brand to meet price points of complete bikes.

You often see complete bikes in the $2700-$3400 range spec-in Tektro brakes and a FSA Gossamer crank to meet price points. The difference can be substantial to the manufacturer.
Old 06-02-13, 06:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
To my understanding, the main difference between Apex and Rival is Apex has plastic brake levers while Rival has carbon. Seriously. They cost almost exactly the same. Go Rival.
Old 06-02-13, 07:48 AM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Dunno if this is still the case, but in past years the Rival brakes lacked the micro adjustment that was included on all other SRAM brakes, including Apex. But not everyone uses it so you may not care.

With SRAM, unti you get to the Red, the differences are mainly in lighter materials as you go up the line. For a commuter I don't see that as a concern as all SRAM groups are light.

I'd go with all Apex. Well, Apex with a KMC chain and shimano FD because they work better.