Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Chump

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Chump

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 03:59 PM
Mayonnaise
Arschgaudi

Bikes: Merckx Team SC, Masi (fixed), Merckx Cyclo-Cross

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Carbon Chump

Last summer, just before I went down hard on a training ride and effectively being off the bike for months, I was on the bell lap of a local crit when someone hit my rear derailleur with their front wheel sending it into my rear wheel, spinning it around and slamming into my rear triangle, breaking the frame.

Of all the bikes I've had/have, that Storck was my favorite. I love the way it rode, I love the way it looked. Immediately I started making the moves to get a replacement.

Then I crashed and slowly recovered. By the time I was ready to ride again, I found my mind had shifted. I'd had plenty of talks with 2 of my bike gurus, lifelong racers that aren't young anymore and have seen it all.

All these damn magazines and fancy websites sell you these sexy carbon frames. You line up at races and always someone's got something new and fantastic and you want it so bad that you wouldn't be satisfied with anything else.

You gonna race your campy equipped Storck with Zip wheels in some business park for pizza money? It doesn't make any sense. But people do it all the time.

I did it all the time. The Storck was the second carbon bike that was broken during a race (both times some idiot did something stupid).

My basement has a carbon fiber graveyard; stuff I just can't bear throwing in the garbage even though it's worthless.

When I get cynical I think the bicycle industry sits around and laughs at us for spending $8K on a new bike that is damn near meant to be disposable. You old farts will remember when you bought a campy gruppo in the 70s you had it for life.

Seems to me now that your best race bike should only be ridden on Sunday morning club rides not at the local races. A decent aluminum frame for racing makes more sense. (don't bring up those no-brand mail order bikes from China or wherever, I don't trust em)

Every carbon bike I've ever owned has broken. Every other bike I've raced on is still in perfectly good working order (couple of dings here and there) and waiting for me in the basement now.

I fully intend to race this Spring and I need a new frame but I'm tired of being a Carbon Chump. Sooner or later something's going to break in a way that wouldn't have happened before, with replacement costs that have skyrocketed.

You gotta have a stiff carbon aero bike? Why not just sit on someone's wheel instead. You'll find it more beneficial and certainly cheaper.

I'm gonna devour the advertisements just like I have for nearly 40 years, but I'm far more skeptical.
Old 01-03-13, 04:05 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
So, you've smartened up that an $8k bike does not make you a winner . I'm very happy with my $1200 Cannondale that I built up from a used frame, some slightly NOS parts, and budget 50mm carbon tubulars. It's not the reason I didn't win & got 2nd in some races last year.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-03-13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 04:12 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd find a Litespeed vortex or ultimate and race that. In fact that's what I might try to do this summer. I don't want to race my carbon or S&S Ti bikes. And I didn't bring my two aluminum bikes with me to Germany.
Old 01-03-13, 04:16 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
No way I would race my best bike in a crit. In a road race, no problem.
Old 01-03-13, 04:20 PM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
You know carbon frames can be repaired.
Old 01-03-13, 04:21 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, have you even looked at getting the broken frames repaired?
Old 01-03-13, 04:27 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHVjs4aobqs
Old 01-03-13, 04:34 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No idea how old are you but is cool you figure it out. If you are your own sponsor then you can't risk spending a lot of dough just for bling bling, no idea how good are you or in what category are you racing but pretty much if the rider is good can win races all the way to cat 2 with a simple steel bike and not much bling bling. If you are already in your mid 20's, going to school and stuck in cat 3 then pretty much is already too late to make a life out of racing so just finish school and be a happy sunday rider with the most expensive stuff you could find, after all is for showing off hehe

At the end, is your call but eventhought have good components is good and somehow help to win 1 second in 100 miles in a race or to save the stupidly big amount of 1 watt of energy for 200 miles of race, at the end it is the racer not the bike. Is at simple as that, happy you saw the light man.

Ps; for got to add... depeding on how many broken stuff you have you always can fix them, if you want to give me (asking straight forward) one of those broken carbon frames i would be happy to take one, send it to get it fix and ride it maybe forever
Old 01-03-13, 04:38 PM
eriku16

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's no way I would want to race on a repaired carbon frame!
Old 01-03-13, 04:43 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well if your team is giving you the bike, sure you wont... but if you have accidents each f.. week (seen those guys) there is no way your pockets will be able to stand getting new frames each 2 weeks, even if you get them to a special price from the sponsor. And when you question yourself.. or to race in a old busted steel bike and a carbon one... sure the carbon repaired one will win just because you dont want to give advantage to the other guys.

Nothing wrong with repaired carbon, never seen a repaired carbon frrame to crack or break in the same place twice, next accident will crack somewhere else for sure.
Old 01-03-13, 04:45 PM
Mayonnaise
Arschgaudi

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, I've been down the repair road. It's not worth it. I sent in the Storck (the shipping was pricey). They called and said it couldn't be repaired. I could pay to have them give me an estimate or let them keep the frame. They kept the frame to butcher in case another Storck came in. I have a Colnago and it was broken in about 4 places. The cost of the repair was about the same as a new frame.

Repairing your carbon frame is not cheap. You've got to be lucky that you've got only one or two breaks and they're in the right spots. Certainly repair is an option but in my cases, it made no sense at all.
Old 01-03-13, 04:47 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eriku16
There's no way I would want to race on a repaired carbon frame!
The repairs, if done right, are stronger than the thing was originally.
Old 01-03-13, 04:48 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just buy a good aluminum frame and get back to racing.
Old 01-03-13, 04:50 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayonnaise
Oh, I've been down the repair road. It's not worth it. I sent in the Storck (the shipping was pricey). They called and said it couldn't be repaired. I could pay to have them give me an estimate or let them keep the frame. They kept the frame to butcher in case another Storck came in. I have a Colnago and it was broken in about 4 places. The cost of the repair was about the same as a new frame.

Repairing your carbon frame is not cheap. You've got to be lucky that you've got only one or two breaks and they're in the right spots. Certainly repair is an option but in my cases, it made no sense at all.

All of these broken bikes.... I don't think it's the carbon that's your problem.
Old 01-03-13, 04:56 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you ride a size 56-ish, I am selling an almost brand new custom aluminum Tsunami cheap ($500) that would love to be raced. Then you won't feel so bad for crashing and thrashing a frame (but hopefully you won't)

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...set-(56cm-ish)
Old 01-03-13, 05:04 PM
Mayonnaise
Arschgaudi

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Will probably build up a black CAAD 10. Nice and simple
Old 01-03-13, 05:04 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayonnaise
Last summer, just before I went down hard on a training ride and effectively being off the bike for months, I was on the bell lap of a local crit when someone hit my rear derailleur with their front wheel sending it into my rear wheel, spinning it around and slamming into my rear triangle, breaking the frame.
You need to find a better group of comptitors...
Old 01-03-13, 05:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sounds like the problem is racing, and not bike materials. Or at least racing with people who crash into you.

I have a nice bike. Carbon fiber, even. I stay the hell away from other cyclists with it! You'll find me riding mostly on back roads in the Cascade Range, staying happy and sane.
Old 01-03-13, 05:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Just buy a good aluminum frame and get back to racing.
This is what I did after breaking my last CF bike.
Old 01-03-13, 05:31 PM
Mayonnaise
Arschgaudi

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Of course the problem is racing. That's the problem: What to race on. Not including cyclocross, I race 40-50 times a year. Sooner or later, something is going to happen. That's bike racing. I don't crash more or less than anyone else I race with but crashes do happen.

My point is, we've rushed out to buy these great carbon products that are more fragile than we believe. I don't think it makes sense for a weekend enthusiast to race on it.

Imagine you've ridden a friends Di2 and fallen in love (rightly so, it's great). You buy it and take it to a race (I see a ton of guys racing on Di2). The rear derailleur gets sent into your back wheel, spun around and smashed on the frame, broken. $700 please. Your heart just breaks. Cavendish doesn't care, but you and I do.
Old 01-03-13, 05:50 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I bet in any given year, there are about 2-3 carbon frames destroyed in the entire Tour de France in 3000 miles with over a hundred riders. It happens but it is rare. I would also guess that 75% of carbon frames that are damaged can be repaired and be as good as new.

I have had one carbon frame crack in 40,000 miles and it cost me $300 to repair. I also dented an aluminum frame that was unrepairable.

Given your history, you probably do need a steel frame but you will be at some competitive disadvantage.
Old 01-03-13, 05:56 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, I crashed at 40kmh this October on my no name chinese carbon frame. The frame bounced along the road a bit, bent RD hanger and that was about it. The worst damage was to my helmet, my clothing and me.

Your example of a busted RD getting slammed into the chain stay and snapping the stay would demo any aluminum framed bike.

BTW, those no name chinese frames are just fine as long as you know where to buy them from....Buy 2-3 and you are set for the season
Old 01-03-13, 05:58 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what the answer is.

CAAD10
Old 01-03-13, 06:02 PM
Mayonnaise
Arschgaudi

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
2-3 destroyed frames in the Tour? Did you watch the Tour last year? Did you see all the crashes? Like you, I have no idea how many frames were destroyed in the Tour, but it's a lot more than "2-3" You have no idea what percentage of carbon frames can be repaired. I know plenty of racers with carbon graveyards. I have enough experience to know 75% seems very high. You gonna spend $1K to repair it or just buy a new one for $1.6K? Most guys I know buy the new one.

I suspect you have little race experience, your "staying out of trouble" suggests little actual knowledge of bike racing.
Old 01-03-13, 06:06 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
It's cool the way yo have decided to stop drinking marketing Kool Aid in favor of retrogrouch Kool Aid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.