Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reflector

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-21, 05:56 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Yeah! And sadly, I can't count the amount of cars I see out on the road at night driving with lights out. In my car and on my bike.
Indeed! Makes me wonder if new cars don't come with headlights on them any more!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-14-21, 09:33 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Indeed! Makes me wonder if new cars don't come with headlights on them any more!
I have the AUTO headlights that react to ambient light. They are mostly on some level of light and I don't think about them. The problem I occasionally have is after the car is brought in for service, they turn the headlights OFF. So that the lights are off till someone flashes me to turn them back on.

As we use to remind the wise-acre 15-16 year old bike rider who would say: "I can see fine with the street lights!" But can DRIVERS see you???
Old 05-14-21, 02:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Mine are always on when I drive.

I see it a lot in the winter, when the sun sets earlier. People start driving when it’s still light out, but then it gets dark quickly. With all the street lights in the big city they probably don’t realize their lights are not on.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-14-21, 02:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts

Speaking of that, I see the new generation is programmed to turn off the headlight while making a turn using the turn signal. No thanks, I'd rather see to the side where I am turning.
My Forester has what I would call a minor design flaw. If you flip your hand down the right way to activate the left turn signal you can inadvertently turn off the headlights. Ask me how I know.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-14-21, 04:15 PM
ted_major

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Aside from the safety considerations, there are legal issues that vary from state to state. Where I live, cyclists riding at dusk or in the dark are required to have a white light on the front and a red reflector on the back.

We’re also one of a handful of US states that still apply contributory negligence, which means that if an accident victim is at all careless they get nothing. For example, if a motorist is 99% at fault in a crash the injures a cyclist who is 1% at fault, the cyclist recovers nothing from the motorist (or their insurance).

I have reflectors on my bike mostly to keep from being hit, but also so that if I am hit the driver (and their insurance company) can’t easily avoid paying for my injuries by arguing that I was partially at fault for not having a reflector.
Likes For ted_major:
Old 05-15-21, 03:24 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I have the AUTO headlights that react to ambient light. They are mostly on some level of light and I don't think about them. The problem I occasionally have is after the car is brought in for service, they turn the headlights OFF. So that the lights are off till someone flashes me to turn them back on.

As we use to remind the wise-acre 15-16 year old bike rider who would say: "I can see fine with the street lights!" But can DRIVERS see you???

I have them also, BUT, they turn on way after I would normally turn them on in the evening. For a garage they work, but not for dusk. As a result I never use the auto feature. Now my wife's old Mercedes coupe lights were perfect, along with the auto wipers, they came on early at dusk and the wipers came on when the rain started sprinkling, but not just for a few drops or the if the car ahead's window washers were used.

From the quote, THIS!!! is my trigger, and I prefer to err on the side of caution... "But can DRIVERS see you???"
Why? Because, between a car and cyclist encounter, the car always wins.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-15-21, 03:30 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts

Speaking of that, I see the new generation is programmed to turn off the headlight while making a turn using the turn signal. No thanks, I'd rather see to the side where I am turning.
I have not seen them turn a HEADLIGHT off at night. I have seen them turn off the DRL or Daytime Running LIght, especially if the DRL is LED powered and shines a yellow blinking LED for turns and reverts back to solid white for DRL after the turn completes..
Old 05-15-21, 03:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
I remember the days when we did not have reflective tape or LEDs; yet we still tried very hard to make sure we were seen. Come to think of it, in those days few of us even wore a helmet. In Austin Texas it is common to see flashing lights, reflectors and reflective vest used in a broad daylight ride.

As to the OP: Yes reflectors will help in addition to a rear light. Considering the broad range of reflective tape you have many, many, options.

Personally, I don't ride when its dark or even when the shadows are long. I do not see divers getting any more skilled at driving or having less distractions. To be sure, the few times I have ridden in traffic lately it has been dam scary. But that's just me...