Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sketchy AF what have you seen

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 10:08 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 236 Posts

I just found this bike for sale $75cad listed as a motorized bicycle made me wonder what other death trap home built tragedies exist out there. Let’s see em

Old 04-30-21, 11:48 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
This is not classic, nor vintage.
Old 05-01-21, 01:40 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
This is not classic, nor vintage.

Perhaps not, but it is just as interesting, just the same, in my opinion. Also, I cannot help but wonder how old that Protour is? Perhaps it is vintage, by some people's standards. For me, to be vintage, a bike has to be 25 years old or older. If that Protour is of mid nineties vintage, then it would qualify.

I too have run across a tragedy or two in my hobby. This old (seventies something) Raleigh being the most noteworthy example...

Old 05-01-21, 04:04 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I should be appalled but these touch a soft spot. Reminds me of the mini bike my brother and I created way back. T frame fab'd by the kid up the street with a HT and fork welded on. I salvaged an old lawn mower engine, horizontal shaft, seized and rusty. Probably my first rehab and surely my first engine tear down. Got that running and bolted it to a plate bolted to the frame. Roller skate wheel for an idler with a rope that pulled it into the belt. Rope ran up thru a pulley under the seat then down to the NDS foot peg. Start the engine with the pull rope (no recoil starters) climb on and aim the front wheel. Throttle up, tension the idler rope with my left heel and away we go. Freedom and speed and no license.

It was probably my first realization that things that "would not work" and "could not be done" actually could work and could be done. That helped me develop a healthy disdain for experts and for authority. My father smiled.

No photos. This was before cameras were invented.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 05-01-21, 04:17 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,289 Times in 1,279 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Perhaps not, but it is just as interesting, just the same, in my opinion. Also, I cannot help but wonder how old that Protour is? Perhaps it is vintage, by some people's standards. For me, to be vintage, a bike has to be 25 years old or older. If that Protour is of mid nineties vintage, then it would qualify.

I too have run across a tragedy or two in my hobby. This old (seventies something) Raleigh being the most noteworthy example...

wow , that’s really something. Somebody didn’t realize you could get bikes in different size frames! The bent back fork actually looks at home, along with the ultra custom bar position.
Old 05-01-21, 06:00 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Maybe the initial post should have ben placed in the Wacky thread, where other perplexing gas bike projects have appeared.

I think my favorite part of the kludge the OP posted is that saw blade-looking top tube shifter right by the rider's nads. With this bike you should wear a helmet and a cup.
Old 05-01-21, 06:56 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
With this bike you should wear a helmet and a cup.
Maybe body armor, too. Yikes!