Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 11:36 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Here is the OP's Trek from 1984:

Notice you can't put the butt of your palm on the handlebar, because that part of the bar is sloping down. You are more or less resting on the web of your thumb and your carpal tunnel.

Now the same bike, with modern brifters and handlebars:

Notice the top of the handlebar and the hood of the brifter, form a continuous horizontal surface. Much more comfortable to put your whole palm on the bar now.
So instead of adjusting the handlebars and/or lever placement one should replace the entire drivetrain. Sounds legit.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-15-21, 01:18 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
So instead of adjusting the handlebars and/or lever placement one should replace the entire drivetrain. Sounds legit.
No matter how much adjusting you do you’ll never get the modern flat transition. If you like to old way it’s fine, if you like the new way it’s fine it’s a personal thing.

I don’t love pre-2005 Ergos so I wouldn’t build like he did but I do like the range and ratio steps of modern drive lines.
Old 05-15-21, 03:21 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
In order to make them horizontal, you would have to rotate the bar and brake lever up so much that the levers would be pointing forward. Very goofy looking.

Also- as I said earlier, the old single pivot brakes don't work very well, especially deficient when braking from the hoods. When you upgrade to a newer groupset you get the much improved dual pivot brakes.
Old 05-15-21, 04:29 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Don't be intimidated by tales of wildly overpriced vintage stuff you'll have to score from ebay and blah blah whatever. Vintage bicycles are very wallet-friendly unless you are going for a full restoration on a truly special bike. Get the one that fits you better. Expect some outlays for tires, cables, etc., but I've found most old components clean up to solid functionality unless the previous owner has truly beat them to hell.

And as suggested above, spend some time in the Classic & Vintage forum.
This is very good advice. My addition would be (even though I love them and have one) to avoid French bikes WITH French threads if parts need replacing. Those parts can be hard to find, (especially french thread pedals) except for new French spec sealed bottom brackets that are available.

I would also recommend getting a bike with a cassette rear wheel versus a freewheel, as the removers for some older freewheels are hard to find. However there are good rear freewheels still available in English threading. With a good English threaded vintage bike you have lots of flexibility. Vintage bike does not mean you have to restore it to original specs or even period specs. A lot of the more recent technology upgrades can be retrofitted and will work.

One advantage to certain ages of vintage bikes is you can run fatter tires, but with some bikes you absolutely can not go larger. If you are considering going larger, than shop carefully as going to a fatter tire is one area that cannot be modified, while you can always go narrower.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-21, 05:04 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
To the OP... if you want real answers to vintage bike questions you should follow the suggestions to post in Classic & Vintage.

My opinion is that the older Trek needs to be in very good working order.

The one area of concern will be the rear wheel and freewheel because 120mm hubs and 5 speed freewheels are not easily available.

Yes, more modern drops are more comfortable, but it is not like older style drops were not used by generations.

Single pivot brakes don’t stop as well, but just get better pads and get used to it. I’m using Kool Stops on mine.

Good luck and have fun.

John
Old 05-16-21, 06:44 AM
Buell77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up not going with either, I found a Trek 400 Elance that had been sitting in a garage for 20 years, paid the owner $50 for it. Brought it to my local bike shop where the owner gave it a look over for me, told me I stole it. After changing both tires, cleaning, degreasing and oiling everything up she seems to ride and shift very well for this novice rider. Thanks all for the advice, you guys are a mountain of knowledge.