Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting 2010 Roubaix 3x to 1x

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 12:31 PM
ddriver001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,
I have a 2010 Roubaix Elite triple that I have replaced with a 2021 version, so I just don't ride the old girl anymore. I was thinking of swapping the 3x chainring with a 1x, adding a larger rear cassette (maybe up to 10-50t), adding the widest tires I can fit to the frame (at least 28s), and maybe even converting to bar end shifters (just because I like them). Not sure if I'd also need to swap the original Shimano 105 rear derailleur with a newer clutch model? I'm thinking that would make it a city bike/gravel that is more nimble than my Salsa Marrakesh steel monster.
I'm reasonably handy but I am definitely not a bike mechanic (I already know I'd have to invest in some tools I don't currently own, but it's a good incentive to finally learn how to do some of this stuff myself), but my question is really whether I'm getting in over my head here? I've watched a few videos and it seems doable, but I also worry that I'm going to end up bringing a half-done project and a box of parts to my LBS and ask them to bail me out.
Any recommendations or advice?
Thanks a bunch!
David
Old 07-22-21, 12:58 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
With all the youtube videos on bike maintenance, the kind of modifications you're talking about are very feasible. The trickiest part is determining what components will work on your bike.

For a 10-50 cassette, you'll need a mountain bike RD and a shifter that will work with it. That's somewhat tricky on a drop bar bike. Much easier to get a 11-46 1x system on a drop bar bike.
Old 07-22-21, 04:42 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
10t cassettes will only fit on XD drive or microspline freehub bodies, so I'd recommend getting an 11-50 cassette for the hyperglide driver already on your wheel. You can buy either Sram NX Eagle or possibly a Microshift or Sunrace cassette for this. If you're into bar end shifters, I'd probably recommend you match Microshift Sram compatible 1x12 shifter with Sram Eagle rear derailleur--I'd recommend GX over NX, it really is a better quality part, and a matching 12 speed Sram chain. Also you're going to need a 130BCD narrow wide chainring (38t max) and new brake levers. Thankfully you can probably get an OK price for your used drivetrain on eBay right now.

Tools needed aren't actually that bad. Chain whip, cassette lockring tool, chain tool, metric hex keys, a screwdriver, a Shimano crankset preload cap tool (to remove the crank to swap rings), cable cutters. I might suggest buying a derailleur hanger alignment tool because wide range 1x setups tend to be pretty sensitive to hanger alignment, or get this done at a shop (it should be quick and easy for them). All the service documents for setting up the drivetrain are available from manufacturers websites. Park tool also has some pretty good instructional pages with video.

This actually isn't an awful way to learn--setting up new, compatible parts should be mostly a matter of following instructions, and is a gentler introduction than problem solving and fixing a malfunctioning bike.

As a pro mechanic, I would not be annoyed if you tried, failed, and brought me the bike at all. Please, however, don't just slap parts on and ask the mechanic to do the actual setup. It takes very little time to remove parts from packaging and physically attach them to the bike, you won't save them any time or yourself any money doing this.
Old 07-26-21, 01:07 PM
ddriver001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, thanks so much to you both for the input! My biggest worry is indeed buying parts that turn out to be incompatible for some reason (eg, would not have thought about the freewheel hub model being compatible with the cassette!). So that's all super helpful and I'll follow your recomendations. Time to do some shopping and get to dissassembling!
Old 07-28-21, 11:44 AM
ddriver001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey cpach - thanks again so much for the helpful advice. If you don't mind, I have one more question. I think I've got everything spec'd out and am ready to order some parts:
Eagle GX RD (has not been easy to find in stock!) and 12 spd chain
Eagle NX PG-1230 cassette

I was also going to replace the crankset rather than just the chainring (since the old Shimano 150 cranks are sliver and all the new components will be black). Is there any reason not to put in the GX Eagle DUB crankset? From what I've read, it sounds like the DUB BB should be compatible with my Roubaix frame. You specifically mentioned a 130 BCD chainring, but I assume that was because you were fitting it to my existing Shimano 150 triple cranks, But the smaller GX Eagle (I think a 94 BCD) would work fine.

Thanks again!
David
Old 07-28-21, 01:49 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I'd verify the chainline - possible that the seatstay or chainstay will interfere on these older road frames.