Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Pressure is on.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Pressure is on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 05:40 PM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
That pump is gorgeous!!

it’s a champ!
Old 10-15-18, 05:46 PM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Old 10-15-18, 05:51 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
I use what's on the pump or my compressor. As stated it does not make a whole lot of difference. Since bike tires are thin and small the pressure will change with temps and time more than a cars will.

Most gauges I've tried have been fairly accurate. I carry a fairly large foot pump in my rack bag because I have larger tires, and a bad track record with flats. Once I was on my only spare tube of a ride and had to stop 6 times to air up. The patch wouldn't seal on the first tube, a failure around the valve stem. My wife is not very good at navigating so I carry a bunch of stuff, tools, pump, tube, etc. to help make sure I can return home. A hand pump just takes too long so I got the smallest foot pump I could find. And as long as the gauge is fairly accurate it's close enough for me.
I like to carry a pump on my bike because it is cheaper that co2 cartridges (in the long run) and can used multiple times on a single trip as other riders commented. I have also heard c02 gas leak faster than regular air.
Old 10-16-18, 12:14 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I have no idea what pressures i run. I pump my tyres to how the bike feels and performs best on them.
Old 10-16-18, 06:01 AM
Pulsify

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blow joe
Old 10-16-18, 06:24 AM
abramj

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have many ways to get the pressure I need/want.

1. The awe crap finger pinch. This is when I forgot to throw my pump in my car and loaded up the day before for a ride, pinch and it feels good.

2. The borrow a friends pump. This is when the finger pinch says I need some air and my friend has a pump.

3. Use a CO2 cartridge and hope I don;'t blow the tire. This is when I use the finger pinch, need air, and my friend forgot his pump too.

4. Use my Park tire pump with guage.

5. Use my Canondale Airport pump with guage.

6 Use my Blackburn pump with guage.

The only thing I try, is to use the same pump for a little consistency. I usually adjust the pressure based on the tires and roads I'm riding. As long as I'm using the same pump, it works good. If I use a different pump, it is not always the same as the other pump.

I'm not a fan of external pressure guages. I think they lose a little air, and thus change the pressure. Or maybe i just can't seem to use them correctly??? I say get a good pump with a guage and it will be fine.
Old 10-16-18, 07:08 AM
jasnooks

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
after confirming the gauge on my pump matches my patented pencil style gauge, I no longer use the hand held gauge at home. but I do carry it on the road but rarely use it even when fixing a flat
I do the same.
Old 10-16-18, 09:12 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
After 40+ years of squeezing the tire after inflating, I can say with certainty that I can't tell a tire's pressure by squeezing between my thumb and forefinger. I just can't. I am able to tell if it's firm enough to ride home on, but I couldn't tell you within 10 psi what the pressure is. Not that any of this matters. Most folks overinflate their tires anyway...