Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is a gumwall tire?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is a gumwall tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 10:04 AM
sportridertex

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is a gumwall tire?

When I bought my Dawes Galaxy new in 1969, it had gumwall tires, what is gumwall exactly?

I have my 1986/7 Schwinn Traveler, and now I have black Specialized Tri-Sport tires it
Old 01-10-10, 10:06 AM
arctangent

Bikes: '06 DBR podium 1, '12 Windsor Oxford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yellow tire walls.
Old 01-10-10, 01:40 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't matter... you are going to sell me the Galaxy...YOU ARE GOING TO SELL ME THE GALAXY...YOU ARE GOING TO SELL ME...
Old 01-10-10, 02:05 PM
bernardmarx
Hair Club Member

Bikes: '86 Miyata 310 '78 Raleigh Sports 3-Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon black is added to harden rubber - the normal color of rubber is pale to tan. The softer sidewall compound is supposed to decrease rolling resistance. It is, however, more vulnerable to damage from ozone pollution.
Old 01-10-10, 02:07 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bernardmarx
Carbon black is added to harden rubber - the normal color of rubber is pale to tan. The softer sidewall compound is supposed to decrease rolling resistance. It is, however, more vulnerable to damage from ozone pollution.

That is true. So leaving your bike for years in the basement with the furnace and water heaters can make them break down and look terrible. This is internet hearsay. I don't know the science.
Old 01-10-10, 02:21 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Per Frank Berto in his 1988 book on upgrading road bikes, he differentiated gumwall from skinwall tires by the amount of rubber on the sidewalls. Skinwalls were high end road tires with minimal rubber on the sidewall and usually you could see the casing fibers through the rubber. Gumwalls were cheaper and heavier tires.

Gumwalls used thicker rubber on the sidewalls and were lower performance, and less expensive, tires. This was regardless of sidewall color. From what I have seen probably still true today. Most of the high puncture resistance tires and cheap tires would be considered gumwall construction while light weight performance oriented tures would be considered skinwall tires.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 01-10-10, 03:39 PM
sportridertex

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale SR500,TREK Mendota 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
It doesn't matter... you are going to sell me the Galaxy...YOU ARE GOING TO SELL ME THE GALAXY...YOU ARE GOING TO SELL ME...
I wish I still had it,,,,,,,
Old 01-10-10, 05:24 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sportridertex
I wish I still had it,,,,,,,

Doh!

Last edited by Ivandarken; 01-10-10 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 12:23 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
That is true. So leaving your bike for years in the basement with the furnace and water heaters can make them break down and look terrible. This is internet hearsay. I don't know the science.
My juinor college engineering instructor worked on PT boats during WW2. He told us of a rather difficult problem he had to resolve of why the rubber based wire insulation in one of the compartments would rapicly break down causing all kinds of erratic problems. After much research it was determined to be ozone (0sub3) which was formed from oxygen in the air passng over an electric arc. The cure was to ventilate. FWIW he told me he worked on JFKs boat.

Much later I worked at a facility that produced ozone for disenfection. They first distilled oxygen from the air and then passed it through an electric arc to produce ozone. O3 is short lived and rapidly decomposes to O2.

Is this what is happening in a basement with gumwalls - I don't know. However I would not put an ozone generator in my basement. They sale these things for the home for odor control.
Old 01-11-10, 12:35 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Exactly correct. At a distance, gumwall and skinwalls look pretty much alike. There's a world of difference in weight, ride quality, and road feel between the two.

Originally Posted by tatfiend
Per Frank Berto in his 1988 book on upgrading road bikes, he differentiated gumwall from skinwall tires by the amount of rubber on the sidewalls. Skinwalls were high end road tires with minimal rubber on the sidewall and usually you could see the casing fibers through the rubber. Gumwalls were cheaper and heavier tires.

Gumwalls used thicker rubber on the sidewalls and were lower performance, and less expensive, tires. This was regardless of sidewall color. From what I have seen probably still true today. Most of the high puncture resistance tires and cheap tires would be considered gumwall construction while light weight performance oriented tures would be considered skinwall tires.
Old 01-11-10, 12:56 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
My juinor college engineering instructor worked on PT boats during WW2. He told us of a rather difficult problem he had to resolve of why the rubber based wire insulation in one of the compartments would rapicly break down causing all kinds of erratic problems. After much research it was determined to be ozone (0sub3) which was formed from oxygen in the air passng over an electric arc. The cure was to ventilate. FWIW he told me he worked on JFKs boat.

Much later I worked at a facility that produced ozone for disenfection. They first distilled oxygen from the air and then passed it through an electric arc to produce ozone. O3 is short lived and rapidly decomposes to O2.

Is this what is happening in a basement with gumwalls - I don't know. However I would not put an ozone generator in my basement. They sale these things for the home for odor control.
+1 on the harmful effects of ozone damage on tires.
Some years ago, my Honda Hawk GT mororcyle's tires suffered from accelerated dry rot after just a little bit over a year parked next to our apartment building's mechanical room that had all sorts of big electric motors running in it all day long with their brushes producing lots of ozone. I knew that the damage was from the mechanical room ozone because only the side of the motorcycle that was always faced towards the door louvers to the room had ost of the rot damage. Bad thing was, the damage ususally creeps up on you and you susually notice things like this when it's too late. Had to replace both perished tires (but still with a lot of good tread left) on the bike to keep it safe.

Chombi
Old 01-11-10, 01:34 PM
velo-orange

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Does it bother anyone else that 'skinwall' is used to describe not only the amount of gum rubber on tire sidewalls, but also refers to the color of the tire? 'Blackwall' is black, 'skinwall' is- non black.
Last time I checked, skin color has a range of hues.

Old 01-11-10, 01:38 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Yeah, I would avoid using "skinwall".

Older readers like me might not question the use of the term, but younger people could find the term to be incorrect or meaningless.
Old 01-11-10, 07:28 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I dont think skinwall is a confusing term... to me it just means less rubber on the sides. If I saw skinwall tires that were red, I would probably say red skinwall.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)