Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Japanese Hattori Bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 12:21 PM
Pinot_Pournot

Bikes: Hattori

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Japanese Hattori Bicycle

I have an old vintage Hattori bicycle from Japan, I brought it home from Japan in the 90's. I have no idea the value or history, but would like to know more about both. I saw this exact bicycle in a museum in Tokyo, along with similar styles from the 30s-50s if I recall, it's been a long time. The main thing about these bicycles seemed to be the rack on the rear of the bike. They are very well engineered and made to last a long time. Any help on the history of Hattori or the value would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 12-16-22, 09:59 PM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 208 Posts
It's a company in Osaka.
A wholesaler, importer, and builder.
They build utility bikes like yours.
They don't build sports bikes but import Wilier.

HP:Hattori-cycle

As a cyclist living in Japan, I haven't heard Hattori.

Your bike's value?
Depending on how many people want it.
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 12-17-22, 05:42 AM
Lotussiddharta

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hello there, my name is Levi, I'm from the philippines, I just bought a 2nd hand mixte which I am currently getting repainted, when the paint was stripped off, we saw a 4 digit serial number with and upside down PDS letters that is located a half inch off from the numbers.. I am on a journey in finding out what the brand of the frame is through small clues, at first I looked at mixte bikes with the same detail design which I found similar on a Maruishi and Lotus challenger xs, on my research, Lotus was a brand that hired maruishi or should I say collaborated to be one of their producers..although none of the patterns of serial numbers of Maruishi and Lotus' match a PDS (3 letter) and 4 digit numbers..1 more clue is that the frame has BOCAMA Lugs which from other articles or forums were made in france and used for classic italian frames from the late 70's and early 80's.. the japanese (maruishi) design and origin of the lugs does not match at all.. I found this one thread on a forum where someone mentioned a Holdsworth mixte with a serial number PDS 7272, I went on to check for holdsworth serial numbers and I found a forum where some Holdsworth owners are recording data of Holdsworth bikes that are still out there by submitting the serial number.. it is stated there that a 4 digit number refers to frames that were customized built in the 70's but non of the serial numbers have letters on them.. and I sent them a photo of my serial number to verify if the frame that I have could actually be a Holdsworth, some one aswered the day after and confirmed that it was not.. I also posted the photo of the serial number of my frame in a classic japanese bike group, one commented that accourding to the threading of the frame, he believes it to be of french made.. So far my only clues are: 1. PDS 16542. Bocama lugs3. French threading4. Maruishi/Lotus challenger xs mixte design
Old 12-17-22, 07:34 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotussiddharta
Hello there, my name is Levi, I'm from the philippines, I just bought a 2nd hand mixte which I am currently getting repainted, when the paint was stripped off, we saw a 4 digit serial number with and upside down PDS letters that is located a half inch off from the numbers.. I am on a journey in finding out what the brand of the frame is through small clues, at first I looked at mixte bikes with the same detail design which I found similar on a Maruishi and Lotus challenger xs, on my research, Lotus was a brand that hired maruishi or should I say collaborated to be one of their producers..although none of the patterns of serial numbers of Maruishi and Lotus' match a PDS (3 letter) and 4 digit numbers..1 more clue is that the frame has BOCAMA Lugs which from other articles or forums were made in france and used for classic italian frames from the late 70's and early 80's.. the japanese (maruishi) design and origin of the lugs does not match at all.. I found this one thread on a forum where someone mentioned a Holdsworth mixte with a serial number PDS 7272, I went on to check for holdsworth serial numbers and I found a forum where some Holdsworth owners are recording data of Holdsworth bikes that are still out there by submitting the serial number.. it is stated there that a 4 digit number refers to frames that were customized built in the 70's but non of the serial numbers have letters on them.. and I sent them a photo of my serial number to verify if the frame that I have could actually be a Holdsworth, some one aswered the day after and confirmed that it was not.. I also posted the photo of the serial number of my frame in a classic japanese bike group, one commented that accourding to the threading of the frame, he believes it to be of french made.. So far my only clues are: 1. PDS 16542. Bocama lugs3. French threading4. Maruishi/Lotus challenger xs mixte design

Welcome to the forum. Your question might be better answered if you started a new thread, as your bike is clearly unrelated in any way to the Hattori that is the subject of this thread. If you do post a new thread with your question, post some photos in your gallery and then others can share them (once you have 10 posts you can directly post photos in threads yourself). Photos REALLY help in identification. Without them it is highly unlikely you'll get an answer. Good luck!
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 12-17-22, 07:36 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
To the OP -- that Hattori is a neat old utility bike -- if it fits you and you live in a flattish place use it as intended -- go shopping, coffee runs, etc. The value will be fairly minimal, unless you find that special person who has an odd sentimental attachment for some reason.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 12-18-22, 03:13 PM
Pinot_Pournot

Bikes: Hattori

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, it's a very nice old bike and easy to ride. I unfortunately now live on a hill. I was surprised to see this exact bike in a museum in Tokyo. There are utility bikes like this with more historic value and this style is a later style.
Old 12-29-22, 07:23 PM
pedalmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, after the advice you received here, including, "The value will be fairly minimal", you decided to go big: I see that you posted it on CL for $1,000. I guess you focused on the second part of the sentence, and hope to find "that special person who has an odd sentimental attachment for some reason." Good luck; I'll be curious to hear if you find that special buyer.
Old 12-30-22, 07:25 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.