Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Channeling your inner Fred

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Channeling your inner Fred

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 07:53 PM
300# Gorilla

Bikes: Cross-Check, 73 Super Sport single speed, World Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
For years, I've thought of making "ear fairings" to hang from my helmet straps and protect my ears from wind noise. I notice when I turn my head to the side, all the noise goes away, so it might be possible. I'm surprised no one has done this to my knowledge.
It was on Kickstarter
Block wind noise and enjoy the ride!
Old 11-04-14, 04:17 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 300# Gorilla
All ready linked it....

- Andy
Old 11-04-14, 10:39 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love building things for my bikes. Admittedly, I haven't built anything from scratch, but I've modified a few things on my bikes to make them work better for me. I originally had bought SKS raceblades for my commuter, however they did not cover the front of the rear wheel and were not low enough on the back of the front wheel. I was "lucky" enough to have them break (and since they have a lifetime warranty) I got a new set. I took the old broken set, bolted and epoxied it onto the new set to make longer, more full length fenders that work a heck of a lot better. (The first set did actually break, with no prodding of my own. By the time I contacted the company my rear fender was in 3 pieces (held together with duct tape.))

I wish I had a mill. Currently I only have a drill press, vice, and a ton of hand tools. A metal brake would be nice as well. I can't do a lot of fabrication because I never learned to weld unfortunately. My brother is a really good welder though, so maybe he'll teach me one day!

EDIT: OH! I totally forgot I built myself an entire trailer for my bike. Don't know how I forgot that...

Last edited by corrado33; 11-04-14 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 11:19 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah I love tinkering, also.

I mounted Topeak racks to both of my bikes using insulated P clamps, Problem Solvers seatpost clamps, and some stainless hardware from the hardware store.

I have some tail light mounts where the clamping screw won't tighten enough, or tightens too much, to also hold the tail light mount at the correct angle. I have solved that by using some washers as spacers on the screw. That gives a solid filler for the screw to tighten against.

Other than those, the biggest home-brew solution I've done is my cargo trailer I use for groceries and other stuff, using my kid's trailer folded flat (he still uses it sometimes), with plywood and storage boxes. The boxes are attached with carriage bolts, washers, and wing nuts so they can be removed or installed with no tools needed.

Old 11-04-14, 11:21 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Oh almost forgot, I use a $2 telescoping engine inspection mirror from AutoZone, strapped to my helmet, as a rear view mirror. I keep saying I'm going to get a proper helmet mirror, but this one works so well I haven't been able to justify spending $20-$30 on a "real" bike mirror.
Old 11-04-14, 11:33 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Paramount1973
This thread is useless without pictures.
Made a Light Bar for my trike.

Old 11-04-14, 12:13 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Made a Light Bar for my trike.

Whoa. That's some lumens you are throwing out there.
Old 11-04-14, 12:25 PM
PatrickGSR94

That light bar is just sick!
Old 11-05-14, 06:08 PM
bluegoatwoods

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like to think of myself as a Fred. No doubt I qualify. I couldn't even begin to list all of the weird things I've done to bikes (and cars, motorcycles, etc.,) over the years.

But here's a few recent bicycle innovations of mine.

The first is a pretty successful attempt at lowering my loads. Both front and rear. I took a standard rear bike rack and turned it around ('facing' backwards). Then I rotated it rearwards so that it sits further back and lower than the typical rack. I made a clamp for the seatpost, attached to strip steel running over the rear wheel and back to the rack. Plus a couple of struts running forward to the upper chainstays for added strength and stiffness.

On the front I added a small framework that's about a foot long, running lengthwise to the bike, mounted on the left fork just above the axle. I have a lashing strap attached to this. The book bag hangs by a carabiner hook off the top of the basket. The lashing strap on the low framework wraps around the book bag and helps support it and keeps it from flopping around.

Here's a half-decent view of both front and rear cargo setups.

Note also the Cloud 9 saddle with springs added by me. As long as I'm showing off my Fred.

If I really load the rear rack down heavily, then if feels something like driving a pickup with a trailer that's overloaded. Or like the tail wagging the dog. But the load has to be heavy for that to happen. Mostly getting my loads lower has been helpful.

Here's another mod. Homemade bar mitts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0305 02.jpg (100.6 KB, 17 views)
Rear rack closeup 02.jpg (103.9 KB, 17 views)
Bar mitts.jpg (56.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-05-14, 09:35 PM
300# Gorilla

Bikes: Cross-Check, 73 Super Sport single speed, World Tourist

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It started as adjusting, then cleaning, then rebuilding the brakes on my old Schwinn World Tourer, as I was putting them back together I picked up some nylon washers leftover from another project. They fit perfectly and make a night and day difference! Of course then I had to swap out the old steel rims for aluminum ones. and on it goes ...
Old 11-06-14, 08:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Oh almost forgot, I use a $2 telescoping engine inspection mirror from AutoZone, strapped to my helmet, as a rear view mirror. I keep saying I'm going to get a proper helmet mirror, but this one works so well I haven't been able to justify spending $20-$30 on a "real" bike mirror.
Excellent fred work! I put one of those on my fairing, about 3 inches from my eye since my position was pretty stable. It seemed weird but it worked pretty well and never felt dangerous.