Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

signed up for a century, need to get my mileage up fast, need suggestions! 3 weeks!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

signed up for a century, need to get my mileage up fast, need suggestions! 3 weeks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 10:07 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 789 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by generalkdi
400feet isn't a big hill, just ride! (I can't go anywhere from home without a 400meters hill...)
I thought anything over 380 feet was considered "Mt. Doom".
Old 03-30-12, 01:56 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
haaa!

α
Old 03-30-12, 02:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ibjames
BTW: I've been training since the end of February.. The reason I started this thread is that the ride I posted kicks my ass, and it hasn't gotten a ton better, I'm going to be experiencing more climbs like this for the tour, so I'm trying to prepare myself. I don't get how I can ride this still.. and then the next day feel fatigued.
Ummm ... could it be because you've barely started training?

This made me feel like I'm doing something wrong, which is why I posted this thread.. so I'm not stupid and thought I could get myself into century shape by starting 3 weeks out, but I may have been stupid in the way I trained for it. I honestly thought this ride would become easy after a while, but I've been only able to do it 2-3 times a week, the hill on the left tires me out and I feel it the next day. Is it nutrition? Not enough sleep? Not enough repetition? I weigh 220 and usually have 15 pounds of clothes/lunch/etc. on my bike while I'm doing it also..
It will become easy after a while ... but not after 4 weeks. It will become easier after maybe 4 months.

Is it nutrition? Not enough sleep? Not enough repetition? No ....... How about not enough riding. 4 weeks of riding, and especially only 2-3 times a week, is hardly any riding at all. Sure, it's a good beginning, a good way to get into cycling, but it's hardly anything yet.

Well.. its riding 2 maybe 3 times.. not always 3 times.. most likely 2 though, I would have started the weekend rides sooner (I did a 25 mile group ride 3 weeks ago) but rain cancellation, then working the following leads me to this week, where I'll do the 35 mile bike ride this weekend. If I feel okay, maybe do 50, but I think it will most likely be 35.

I would like to do 3 times a week, but it would most likely be a mon,wed,fri but I am worried I would be too tired for a longer weekend ride. I guess I could do a Monday ride, go through a fatigued Tuesday ride, and then a Thursday ride, and a longer Saturday ride. I hope I could sustain that. That would be 75 miles during the week and increasing amounts until tour de cure weekend.
I'm hearing excuses.
Old 03-30-12, 02:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Do you have snow yet? It was in the 70's here a couple of times last week.
We had snow on the mountain tops last week, but none down here in the valley ... and all the snow is melted again now. It's been in the low to mid 20s C all week. Today reached 26C.
Old 03-30-12, 05:31 AM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride slower on your training route.
Old 03-30-12, 08:23 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I'm sorry, OP, but I just don't think it can be done. If I were you, I'd bail on the ride.

75 miles per week commuting is good, but two 12.5 mile rides a day x three days is not going to prepare you for 100 miles. Unless you have experience doing 75 to 80 mile rides, you're going to struggle horribly doing 100.

You said you've done 50 and can do 50, well that's great. Except that 100 is twice that - a 100 percent increase. Can you do your 50 mile ride twice?
Old 03-30-12, 08:38 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You are completely overthinking this. Ride more, take a day off when fatigued, eat right, sleep well.

Post when you have completed the ride.
Old 03-30-12, 08:49 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We had snow on the mountain tops last week, but none down here in the valley ... and all the snow is melted again now. It's been in the low to mid 20s C all week. Today reached 26C.
Old 03-30-12, 08:50 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm sorry, OP, but I just don't think it can be done. If I were you, I'd bail on the ride.

75 miles per week commuting is good, but two 12.5 mile rides a day x three days is not going to prepare you for 100 miles. Unless you have experience doing 75 to 80 mile rides, you're going to struggle horribly doing 100.

You said you've done 50 and can do 50, well that's great. Except that 100 is twice that - a 100 percent increase. Can you do your 50 mile ride twice?
That's silly. Anyone can sit on a bike for five or six hours and push the pedals. People who fail on centuries either don't eat or go too fast.

OP: You'll be fine. Go slow.
Old 03-30-12, 09:46 AM
Treker
Zebra

Bikes: '04 Trek 1000, '05 Devinci Millenium; 07 Spec. Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't over emphasize the importance of in-flight nutrition. Suggest you start finding the right combination of endurance drink/snacks that will propel you from start to finish.
Old 03-30-12, 10:06 AM
AlroyD

Bikes: Raleigh RC4500 Tiagra 9Spd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I should ride in my small ring in front and smallest cog at the rear then mine would rub also- that's I why I don't cross chain- big ring with 5/6 cogs from the bottom and small ring with 5/6 cogs from the top (I have 9)
Old 03-30-12, 10:36 AM
ibjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seanthebear
H...........T...............F...............U!

(someone had to say it)
what is that?
Old 03-30-12, 10:39 AM
Mayday328

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
I rode my first century last October and my longest ride prior to that was 65 miles. It can be done but take your time. My total riding time ended up being just under six hours.
Old 03-30-12, 10:49 AM
ibjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, I rode yesterday and was fine actually going home, it wasn't as painful as when I bonked, because I used to not eat anything before the ride, thinking it would help to lose weight.

I'll be doing 35 tomorrow, 50 if things feel ok

Just because I do analyze things.. what would be better. Doing a 50 mile ride twice a week, or doing 25 miles 5 days a week? Is more repetition better? Or is the time in the saddle at longer duration better?

I think I might try the different cassette to make things a little easier on myself.
Old 03-30-12, 10:50 AM
ibjames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayday328
I rode my first century last October and my longest ride prior to that was 65 miles. It can be done but take your time. My total riding time ended up being just under six hours.
6 hours? Wow, not bad, I think most here think it will take me 8-12 hours, or maybe not finish at all!
Old 03-30-12, 11:01 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
What is it with people thinking they can jump on a bike one day, on a whim, ride it a few times, and sign up for a century?
I met a guy while doing my first planned event METRIC century (after riding for 8 months) who did one after riding his bike 7 times, including the test ride. I guess there is some effect where slapping on some spandex and an expensive bike gives you that "feeling more fit" feeling (think prepaid commercial).
Old 03-30-12, 11:22 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 1,480 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
That's silly. Anyone can sit on a bike for five or six hours and push the pedals. People who fail on centuries either don't eat or go too fast.

OP: You'll be fine. Go slow.
5 or 6 hours? Anyone can average 20 mph by just eating and not go too fast? So the OP should slow down from his normal 27 mph average, eat, and go slow to finish in 5 hours?
Old 03-30-12, 11:27 AM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
5 or 6 hours? Anyone can average 20 mph by just eating and not go too fast? So the OP should slow down from his normal 27 mph average, eat, and go slow to finish in 5 hours?
wut.
Old 03-30-12, 11:30 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by laserfj
wut.
wut with the wut?
Old 03-30-12, 11:44 AM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because I do analyze things.. what would be better. Doing a 50 mile ride twice a week, or doing 25 miles 5 days a week? Is more repetition better? Or is the time in the saddle at longer duration better?
Longer duration, definitely.
You need to see what kind of tricks your body will play on you when you get really tired/exhausted. Your mind will be coming up with all sorts of reasons why you should stop, and that's just another thing you will have to deal with. Plus, you'll get a little experience with having to eat/drink for 3-4 hours of riding.

So I say you should try 2 50s this week.

This Century is possible, but most of it will not be super-fun. It's going to be pretty miserable after a while.....especially since you're not used to the long distance/time. But nothing says that you can't still ride while you're hurting a little.
Old 03-30-12, 12:20 PM
jordo_99

Bikes: KHS John Howard (6500 Ultegra) - Quattro Assi XXX (6510 Ultegra/Neuvation wheels) - Gary Fisher Tasajara (Deore/LX)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Do not use thirst as a gauge to drink fluids. Hydrate properly according to effort/intensity/duration/condition. If you are thirsty, it's already too late.
I'm going to try and elaborate a bit here...

Thirst is not always your body telling you it's dehydrated. There are a lot of different things that can cause thirst so saying that it's too late if you're thirsty isn't what I would go with.
I think it's important to drink when you're not thirsty leading up to activity but if you're already hydrated going into it then your body will start making you thirsty pretty quickly...it's just that most people don't pay attention to it and by the time they notice it's too late...slightly different twist.

My brother is nearly graduated with a degree in sports science and currently works with the Salt Lake professional soccer team (meaning, he's a great resource on this sort of thing). He offered the advice of finishing a sports drink 45 minutes before activity when I told him I had the same symptoms of feeling weak and sometimes having a headache. I've added a bit more structure to his advice and came up with the following plan and it's never failed me...drink a glass of water early (first thing for me) in morning. Drink when thirsty throughout the day and then drink a 24oz of (sports drink...I mix powerade) an 1:15 before activity, finishing it in 20-30 minutes. It takes some work getting into the habit of checking if you're thirsty throughout the day because you really only notice it, if you're not consciously thinking about it about it, once you're dehydrated.

FWIW, I asked my brother about the "8 glasses a day" and he just laughed and said it is pure BS and every coach I've ever had has dismissed it outright. Our ancestors (which is where we get our bodily adaptations and needs) wouldn't have been drinking that much water.
Old 03-30-12, 12:27 PM
bandit1990

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are screwed. Enough said.
Old 03-30-12, 12:38 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Why are you ignoring the 6?

Does 5-7 suit you better? Does it matter?

Why do people think centuries are hard? A bicycle is a very efficient machine. If you go slow, you can go far.
Old 03-30-12, 12:45 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 52 Posts
Best advice to ride your first century successfully: Wear a Borat swimsuit only and a huge fake moustache.

You'll be the hit of the ride.
Old 03-30-12, 12:48 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Originally Posted by Commodus
Why are you ignoring the 6?

Does 5-7 suit you better? Does it matter?

Why do people think centuries are hard? A bicycle is a very efficient machine. If you go slow, you can go far.
You are either an incredible cyclists or blow things way out of proportion. 6 hours is almost a 17 mph average and 7 hours is a 14 mile per hour average. To average 17 mph, you have to really go close to 20 mph with all the starts and stops, slowing down for intersections, etc.

I would say a very, very small part of people starting out with cycling can even come close to that. But you said almost anyone can do that by eating and going slow. You must be something then if 20 mph is slow (or even 15/16 for a 7 hour century)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.