Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding with women

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-22, 11:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10975 Post(s)
Liked 7,503 Times in 4,198 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Great episode!
His character is the worst person on TV...and I love watching as a result.
Old 04-07-22, 07:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10975 Post(s)
Liked 7,503 Times in 4,198 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Besides most everyone on reality tv, you mean.
Ha, I bet he would win some contest reality shows where he needs to outlast others. He would just drive them all away with his quirks and be the last one standing.
Old 04-07-22, 08:16 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked 1,367 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Ive only came across a handful of women that have been riding the same pace as me, and from my small sample size they seem a little less eager than men to team up and work together, possibly because of creepy guys?
why do you think I freak women out?
It might be an exaggeration. But you point to the issue of making them uncomfortable.

From the way you describe the way you dress and the wobbly "due to fail" bicycle you ride, you may be giving off "creepy guy" vibes.
Old 04-07-22, 09:26 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
What about shirtless on one of those naked rides? Do you ride behind, or up front? It's ok to talk to the opposite sex.
I have a deep fear of doing the world naked bike ride on a saddle with an open relief channel.
Old 04-07-22, 09:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Basic Guidelines
The following seven categories of online conduct are unacceptable at BikeForums and constitute a violation of our Community Standards which may result in warning, suspension or loss of membership:

Harassment - Harassment occurs when a member insults, attacks, and denigrates another member at any time.
Referencing that someone talked about riding shirtless in a group ride when discussing perceived interactions with others does not seem like harassment, but it isnt complimentary so is this one of the violated guidelines?

Disruption - Posts which intend to disrupt the topic of conversation or steer the topic away from the focus of the forum and related news.
Referencing shirtless riding doesnt disrupt the topic of conversation and could provide context for the OP's initial comments.

Vulgarity - Vulgarity not only includes vulgar language and pictures but also sexist, racist, anti-religious, images of graphic violence, political statements and homophobic language which may offend other members.
Doesnt apply here.

Solicitation - Please refrain from using Bike Forums to promote your "crowdfunding campaign" (kickstarter/indiegogo), commercial services/website, or to advertise items for sale.
Doesnt apply here.

Spamming - Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums.
Doesnt apply here.

Copyrighted Material - You may post links to appropriate articles but posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Forum Guidelines. If you must repost quotes or sentences, please credit the source.
Doesnt apply here. Though having now actually looked at these rules, this is violated constantly.

High Maintenance Clause - Any member who occupies a majority of admin or moderator time unnecessarily will be shown the door.
Doesnt apply here.

Your post prompted me to actually look at the forum's rules. I would guess many dont look at or remember them. I see a couple possible violations based on the shirtless comment, but maybe I am missing something? Regardless, I decided to post the 7 rules in the thread so others can see them if they dont already know em by heart.
Oh, and to stay in compliance since some of the above is quoted work, here is me citing where I found the rules- https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

I like the questions and don't see them as a challenge to the mod staff, but rather a good opportunity to shed some light on how moderators make their decisions. There is obviously, and inescapably, some subjectivity in the rules.
Old 04-07-22, 10:03 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
When you go to the grocery store for a few items and are pushing the cart or carrying a little basket, do you chat up someone at the meat counter then hope to follow them around the store while you all shop? Then challenge them to a mental game of wits on prices, deals, or nutrition?

That's how it reads when I hear about expecting casual bike/run encounters anymore than simply seeing another citizen outdoors. You can be kind or friendly and wave, say hi, nod, whatever.

Your perspective is interesting. It's also very different from mine. I will strike up a conversation in the grocery store aisle on occasion. I don't follow anyone around the store. Comparing that to a chance opportunity to draft is kind of an apples to pistachios comparison. There is no functional benefit to following someone around the grocery and it's not something that's routinely (if ever) done. It is not out of the ordinary at all for cyclists who don't know each other to engage cooperatively in drafting.

I often don't view seeing another rider as "simply seeing another citizen outdoors." People with shared passions and interests tend to group. That's what we do on this forum. There is an often an unspoken bond between people with mutual interests. I see it in kayaking, boating, hunting and many other circles. If I encounter another person in a busy park, I treat that situation very differently from encountering a hiker in a remote place in the Rockies. It would seem odd not greet the hiker in the remote area where there are few other hikers. When I encounter a cyclist in an area where there are a lot of other riders, it's not uncommon to pass without so much as a word or nod. It would seem odd not to do so in certain environments where there are few cyclists. I say all of that to say that there's a place (which varies from person to person and situation to situation) when an encounter is more than "simply seeing another person outdoors)

I have met some really interesting people in the chance encounters that life delivers.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-07-22, 05:02 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 416 Posts
I met a young woman while riding (I was young then myself), I was an amateur racer in those days, and she turned out to be a university-level state champion. We hit it off, and had a pretty good relationship. Fair company makes riding much more fun.
Old 04-07-22, 05:08 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have a deep fear of doing the world naked bike ride on a saddle with an open relief channel.
may help hold you on the saddle like a button snap. Lol
Old 04-07-22, 05:41 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Your perspective is interesting. It's also very different from mine. I will strike up a conversation in the grocery store aisle on occasion. I don't follow anyone around the store. Comparing that to a chance opportunity to draft is kind of an apples to pistachios comparison. There is no functional benefit to following someone around the grocery and it's not something that's routinely (if ever) done. It is not out of the ordinary at all for cyclists who don't know each other to engage cooperatively in drafting.

I often don't view seeing another rider as "simply seeing another citizen outdoors." People with shared passions and interests tend to group. That's what we do on this forum. There is an often an unspoken bond between people with mutual interests. I see it in kayaking, boating, hunting and many other circles. If I encounter another person in a busy park, I treat that situation very differently from encountering a hiker in a remote place in the Rockies. It would seem odd not greet the hiker in the remote area where there are few other hikers. When I encounter a cyclist in an area where there are a lot of other riders, it's not uncommon to pass without so much as a word or nod. It would seem odd not to do so in certain environments where there are few cyclists. I say all of that to say that there's a place (which varies from person to person and situation to situation) when an encounter is more than "simply seeing another person outdoors)

I have met some really interesting people in the chance encounters that life delivers.
Are you drinking buds with the local homeless? If not, you ain't got nothing on ole Larry.
Old 04-07-22, 09:16 PM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I was on my BMC my Third 100 on the track
wait, you can ride a bike on the Indy speedway? Why do I suddenly want to do this?
Likes For returnoftheyeti:
Old 04-07-22, 09:31 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
It was Fun. I completed 552 miles on The Track.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-07-22, 09:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
wait, you can ride a bike on the Indy speedway? Why do I suddenly want to do this?
A number of race tracks allow cyclists for special events often as charity events.

​​​​​​https://www.roadamerica.com/runs-walks-cycling
Old 04-07-22, 09:45 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Indy Track is Now Closed to Bikes as One death of a bike rider happened durning one of the TDC events.

Old 04-07-22, 09:47 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Mary was able to get a TDC Jersey for riding for her dibetic Dad.

Old 04-07-22, 09:57 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

2014 0nThe Track with bikes

Old 04-07-22, 10:20 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Yes, I treat them the same. I don't say anything! I also don't jump on their wheel.
Old 04-22-22, 08:00 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Last summer I ran into one lady who veered out in front of me as I was going pretty fast, hooked my handlebar and I went down hard and had some damage to my knee and elbow. Later in the season I came up behind another lady who was a bit wider than I and I told her how drafting behind her made it much less effort to ride before I passed and moved on. Another lady gave me a bunch of guff about my not wearing a helmet, if she or another person of any sex does that again I will probably tell them to mind their own business.
Old 04-22-22, 08:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 5,669 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Last summer I ran into one lady who veered out in front of me as I was going pretty fast, hooked my handlebar and I went down hard and had some damage to my knee and elbow. Later in the season I came up behind another lady who was a bit wider than I and I told her how drafting behind her made it much less effort to ride before I passed and moved on. Another lady gave me a bunch of guff about my not wearing a helmet, if she or another person of any sex does that again I will probably tell them to mind their own business.
You’re absolutely right. They should have had known you had nothing to protect and left you alone.

(Only had one friend and coworker suffer irreversible catastrophic brain damage while riding without a helmet. But what did they know?). People should be free to injure themselves as much as they want as long as my health care premiums are jacked up to pay for them.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-23-22, 03:36 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
A number of race tracks allow cyclists for special events often as charity events.

​​​​​​https://www.roadamerica.com/runs-walks-cycling
Also most grassroots tracks that allow for camping let ppl muck about on the track after operations have ceased for the day.
Old 04-23-22, 11:11 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
A friend who rides with our group on vacation asked why I carried a frame pump. As she had one on her bike, I answered 'for the same reason you do'. She said she used CO2, and said "The pump was in case of unknown or unwelcome guys. You know just like in the scene in Breaking Away."

It made the week.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 04-23-22, 11:49 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
A friend who rides with our group on vacation asked why I carried a frame pump. As she had one on her bike, I answered 'for the same reason you do'. She said she used CO2, and said "The pump was in case of unknown or unwelcome guys. You know just like in the scene in Breaking Away."

It made the week.
Why would she pump the wheels of unknown or unwelcome guys??

Old 04-24-22, 12:11 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge

Most of the previous posts cover the UNWELCOME aspect.

Because she is tired of getting quickly overtaken by a male rider who then sits on her wheel even when she slows to let them pass, while trying to chat or just stare is not her idea of relaxation. Too many guys think it is charming to often get into pickup mode or 'helpful instructor' mode uninvited. She has been fortunate enough to not need the pump.
Old 04-24-22, 01:41 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
Most of the previous posts cover the UNWELCOME aspect.

Because she is tired of getting quickly overtaken by a male rider who then sits on her wheel even when she slows to let them pass, while trying to chat or just stare is not her idea of relaxation. Too many guys think it is charming to often get into pickup mode or 'helpful instructor' mode uninvited. She has been fortunate enough to not need the pump.
Oh I see now. Perhaps, she bring mace instead, it's lighter and makes intentions a lot more obvious if it's visibly worn. If she still needs a pump, to backup the CO2. A mini pump would do.
Old 04-24-22, 04:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge

Google before you post:
Old 04-24-22, 04:53 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Google before you post:
https://youtu.be/VTZ0N7VTDtY
His black helmet looks uncomfortably hot and dangerous.

If I see that John C Reilly GIF one more time, I'm going to stop posting in this thread!

Last edited by qwaalodge; 04-24-22 at 05:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.