Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bosch Battery Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bosch Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 10:18 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Bosch Battery Question

Hopefully a Bosch trained mechanic is reading this.

I'm seriously looking at a Trek Allant+ 7 or Verve+ 3 bike. Each comes with the Bosch Power Tube 500WH battery. A question regarding charging the battery.

Does the charger stop charging when the battery reaches 100%?

​​​​​​​I'm thinking (perhaps overthinking) that I may have times where I don't have time to attend to the battery after the 3-5 hour charge time and will need to charge overnight.

I've asked two Trek dealers and one said yes and the other said no. I've written to Bosch customer service over a month ago and haven't received an answer.

I know that Bosch is a top quality product and is UL 2849 Certified so they are as safe as possible, but does anyone definitively know the answer?

Thank you.
Old 09-27-23, 10:30 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 536 Posts
i'd think emaling or calling trek would be your best course.

or call bosch customer service...

Trek... 1-800-585-8735

Bosch...

United States E-bike #
1-833-267-2432

Old 09-27-23, 10:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked 3,457 Times in 1,815 Posts
Yes, it turns off automagically.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-28-23, 09:41 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 697 Posts
No, it does not turn off... At 5 hours, 1 min & 74 seconds the bike hexplodes!

Barry
Old 09-28-23, 07:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK

I'm seriously looking at a Trek Allant+ 7 or Verve+ 3 bike. Each comes with the Bosch Power Tube 500WH battery. A question regarding charging the battery.

I'm thinking (perhaps overthinking) that I may have times where I don't have time to attend to the battery after the 3-5 hour charge time and will need to charge overnight.

I've asked two Trek dealers and one said yes and the other said no. I've written to Bosch customer service over a month ago and haven't received an answer.

I know that Bosch is a top quality product and is UL 2849 Certified so they are as safe as possible, but does anyone definitively know the answer?

Thank you.
I do not know the definitive answer, but REI sells this battery and says:
  • Bosch Battery Management System (BMS) protects the PowerTube from extreme temperatures, overcharging and excessive discharge
Bosch PowerTube 500 Vertical Frame Battery | REI Co-op

This is how all properly engineered lithium-ion batteries are designed, i.e., with internal circuitry that regulates the minimum and maximum state of charge.
Old 09-28-23, 08:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
The battery will stop charging at 100% and will not cause any issues. Bosch uses a very good Battery Management System (BMS) that prevents issues from charging and overcharging and bad cells that may create a fire in other batteries. They are UL listed and very reliable. In the many years selling lots of Bosch bikes I have had very few battery problems and most of them were covered under warranty and no fires or overcharges.

The only thing I will suggest is looking at other Bosch bikes. With Trek you do pay the Trek tax in which you pay extra for their logo and get less bike. They are still fine bikes if you have a Bosch system it is a good sign and there is good support behind Bosch all over but they are just overpriced for what you get compared to say an older more established brand like Royal Dutch Gazelle. There are also other great brands using Bosch like Bulls and Tern or if you are ready to spend some money Riese and Müller. However if you are stuck in an area with just a Trek store it is still a Bosch bike and they are a bit more expensive for what you get but they are decent bikes.
Old 09-28-23, 09:00 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK

​​​​​​​I'm thinking (perhaps overthinking) that I may have times where I don't have time to attend to the battery after the 3-5 hour charge time and will need to charge overnight.

Thank you.
My wife has the 2022 Trek Allant+ 7 and the charging definitely stops charging when full. Honestly, any half-decent battery/charger is going to do that.

FYI, the bike is a fine bike but it is a heavy MOFO. My wife's is a small and with the battery it weighs 69 lbs. Yes, 69 lbs. Though I just checked the Trek specs and they say 55 lbs. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Though we do have the Tannus tire inserts and possibly a few accessories we have on it. It rides well and the weight is only an issue when I'm lifting it on and off our bike rack. Of course, I take the battery out for that.

The Allant+ 7 checked all the boxes we had. Electric, step-through frame, and wide tires. I'm a bit of a Trek fan-boy. I don't mind paying more because I get excellent service from our local store. Only issue with the bike is the kickstand comes loose. I have to keep tightening the mounting bolts. It's on my list to use the super strong Loctite on those. Now that I think about it, I'm sure the Trek spec doesn't include that kickstand and looking at that, I bet that thing weighs at least 2 lbs.
Old 09-29-23, 11:49 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

The only thing I will suggest is looking at other Bosch bikes. With Trek you do pay the Trek tax in which you pay extra for their logo and get less bike. They are still fine bikes if you have a Bosch system it is a good sign and there is good support behind Bosch all over but they are just overpriced for what you get compared to say an older more established brand like Royal Dutch Gazelle. There are also other great brands using Bosch like Bulls and Tern or if you are ready to spend some money Riese and Müller. However if you are stuck in an area with just a Trek store it is still a Bosch bike and they are a bit more expensive for what you get but they are decent bikes.
You are not kidding. After getting my BMC ebike I looked at reviews of other bikes using the same TQ system and saw the Trek Domane+ is a whopping $5k more while only providing a few component upgrades.

The TQ system BTW is splendid, so I'd look at bikes with it along with Bosch bikes. Battery+motor total 8 pounds.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 09-30-23, 06:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
You are not kidding. After getting my BMC ebike I looked at reviews of other bikes using the same TQ system and saw the Trek Domane+ is a whopping $5k more while only providing a few component upgrades.

The TQ system BTW is splendid, so I'd look at bikes with it along with Bosch bikes. Battery+motor total 8 pounds.
It is a sad fact but they have so rested on their laurels and people ask for them by name instead of looking for bikes, they are looking for Treks so they can command ridiculous prices for their logo. They make some decent stuff here and there and I get that everyone is charging more these days but there has got to be something you get with it and with Trek there isn't.
Old 09-30-23, 10:35 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. Particularly those that actually addressed my question.