Old 05-02-10, 03:17 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Seattle Bike Shops

Since I'm coming to Seattle in a few weeks on a cycling vacation, I was wondering which bike shops I should visit. I know I won't be spending the entire time actually on the bike. There's Elliott Bay where I can drool over Davidsons, and maybe pick up a Davidson Jersey for me to wear when I ride mine back here in NYC. But where else? There was R&E on University many years ago, also Greggs Greenlake & Aurora (neither of which I liked) a place on Pike and one on Pine. And Wright Bros in "The center of the Universe". This is what I remember from 1987.

I know that Performance opened, and there's the big REI store too. I've never been in a Performance store, but I never hear anything good about them either.

I'll have plenty of time on my hands so whatever you recommend I'll check out. I'm beginning to wonder how I'll be spending my non-riding time. I have no particular plan.

Edit: There is one cycling item I specifically need, new road shoes. Which store has a good selection? That's an item that is hard to find here in NYC as no one store has a big selection.

Last edited by zacster; 05-02-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 07:01 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Elliot Bay
R&E and Gregg's are still there. (Not a Rodriguez fan? I like R&E; to each their own)
There's also:
Recycled Cycles and
Counterbalance

Too bad Il Vecchio closed down his storefront.

Performance isn't a bad shop for things like helmets and shoes and accessories. The only thing "bad" I'll say about them is that they don't have the most well-versed floor staff. I wouldn't expect a quality fitting from them, but they usually have a wide selection of shoes so you might look there.
Old 05-02-10, 08:46 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
hey Zacster, don't forget about the Islands. Take ferry over, enjoy some of the best riding around and take time check out the bike shops on both of these Islands:

Bainbridge has https://www.classiccycleus.com/ which has an amazing collection of track bikes, assorted vintage bike parts

Vashon's waay more offbeat. Huge assortment of used bikes. I get the impression the owner is too attached to many of them to actually sell them. https://www.vashonislandbicycles.com/
Old 05-02-10, 08:57 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend

Bainbridge has https://www.classiccycleus.com/ which has an amazing collection of track bikes, assorted vintage bike parts
Definitely visit Classic Cycles on Bainbridge.

I would also agree you should see Elliott Bay Cycles (the one store I'd visit if I couldn't visit any others in town).

If you're riding the Burke-Gilman trail, all of the following are convenient and just off the trail:

- Recycled Cycles (near the University)
- Wright Bros (Fremont)
- FreeRange Cycles (a very small but nice shop in Fremont, catering to commuters -- Surly, Salsa, Jamis)
- Counterbalance Cycles - a nice store on the Burke Gilman trail near Unviersity Village -- Co-Motion, Jamis, Salsa, Surly, Independent Fabrication

For something different, there is 2020 Cycles (on Union, in the Central District) and our local co-op, BikeWorks, Columbia City, in the Rainier Valley.

If you get over the East Side, it's worth visiting Sammamish Valley Cycles (Redmond) and Ubrdo and Montlake Cycles (downtown Kirkland).

If you're looking for *shoes*, my guess is the most styles instock are at Gregg's (the Greenlake store); Sammamish Valley (Redmond) and REI (downtown). Elliott Bay has a nice, small selection.
Old 05-02-10, 08:58 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
In the Northwest, our window for cycling is narrower..and with it selection. Bike shops here are busiest before the Seattle to Portland ride in July.
So...the selection of clothing and shoes starts to peter out in June since most shops don't want to be staring at this stuff come September.

The biggest stores have the biggest selection..so Gregg's is a good prospect from that point of view. However, they and other bike shops get verryy busy this time of year, so avoid going in on the weekends & Fridays if you want the extra time decent shoe fitting requires...better to stop in Mon-Thurs before 3 or so in the afternoon.
Old 05-02-10, 09:36 PM
Cyclist00976

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At Veloce Velo,we try very hard to have one of the largest selection of shoes in the area and also the knowledgable staff to fit them properly. Gregg's and Performance may be bigger, but we still try to offer the same or better selection.

If you're coming to the East Side, please check us out as well.
Old 05-03-10, 08:06 AM
buck mulligan
I'm shovel-ready!

Bikes: Raleigh Sports All-Gold

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Perhaps not the place to buy shoes, but certainly one of Seattle's more off-the-beaten-path shops:

https://mobiuscycle.com/

By the way, I mean "off-the-beaten-path" quite literally - the shop entrance is tucked away in a downtown alley. And, full disclosure: the place is owned and operated by a friend of a friend.
Old 05-03-10, 08:19 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Pedale
In the Northwest, our window for cycling is narrower..and with it selection.
Selection may wane as the summer fades, but it certainly doesn't narrow the opportunities to go out and ride! With good winter gear the riding season here is year-round.
Old 05-03-10, 03:31 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by buck mulligan
Perhaps not the place to buy shoes, but certainly one of Seattle's more off-the-beaten-path shops:

https://mobiuscycle.com/

By the way, I mean "off-the-beaten-path" quite literally - the shop entrance is tucked away in a downtown alley. And, full disclosure: the place is owned and operated by a friend of a friend.
+1

"Off the beaten path" is a good description -- I was last there a couple of years ago; a very interesting space with some very interesting bikes when I was there. Caters, I think, to the SSFG crowd.
Old 05-03-10, 03:41 PM
zacster

Thanks all. I'll check at least a few out.

And how about restaurants? Any bike-friendly restaurants come to mind? I remember one place along Lk Wash Blvd in Leschi that had an outdoor area that I stopped at a few times. I'd have stopped more, but I never thought it was a good idea to have beer in me when climbing back up Capitol Hill. Lk Wash to Seward Park was always my favorite evening ride. It still looked pretty popular when I was in Seattle a few years ago, to say the least. I was driving and found it difficult with all the cyclists, and I'm sympathetic to the cause so I turned off.
Old 05-03-10, 07:36 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
In the Northwest, our window for cycling is narrower..and with it selection. Bike shops here are busiest before the Seattle to Portland ride in July.
So...the selection of clothing and shoes starts to peter out in June since most shops don't want to be staring at this stuff come September.

The biggest stores have the biggest selection..so Gregg's is a good prospect from that point of view. However, they and other bike shops get verryy busy this time of year, so avoid going in on the weekends & Fridays if you want the extra time decent shoe fitting requires...better to stop in Mon-Thurs before 3 or so in the afternoon.
Originally Posted by ghunter
At Veloce Velo,we try very hard to have one of the largest selection of shoes in the area and also the knowledgable staff to fit them properly. Gregg's and Performance may be bigger, but we still try to offer the same or better selection.

If you're coming to the East Side, please check us out as well.
Oops +1 for Veloce Velo..I've never shopped for shoes there but I have been very satisfied with the service and items I've bought there.
Friendly staff
Old 05-03-10, 07:38 PM
Tom Pedale

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Selection may wane as the summer fades, but it certainly doesn't narrow the opportunities to go out and ride! With good winter gear the riding season here is year-round.
Perhaps for some...call me chicken if you will...but if it's under 45 degrees, I'll be jogging or at the gym!
Old 05-03-10, 07:45 PM
zacster

As I recall, the riding season was extended by fenders and a poncho. I had both, but never ventured out in the rain once I bought my Davidson. That left about 3 weeks in which to ride, maybe that's why it still looks brand new 30 years later ;~)
Old 05-05-10, 10:08 AM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster

And how about restaurants? Any bike-friendly restaurants come to mind?
Cafe Presse in Cap. Hill is an excellent place. French Bistro-ish food, I've only been there for breakfast, so I can't tell you much about the rest of the menu. Huge bike rack right out front.
Old 05-05-10, 01:06 PM
Kamala
Clyde - Grinder

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite - 2007 Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And how about restaurants? Any bike-friendly restaurants come to mind?
Redhook Brewery is a nice flat spin from Seattle with plenty of bike racks and huge summer bike crowds. Maltby Cafe makes for a nice long breakfast ride. mmmmm cinnamon roll.

Also +1 on Counterbalance. Great shop.
Old 05-06-10, 04:15 PM
Tom Pedale

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
As I recall, the riding season was extended by fenders and a poncho. I had both, but never ventured out in the rain once I bought my Davidson. That left about 3 weeks in which to ride, maybe that's why it still looks brand new 30 years later ;~)
Hope you have good weather and great riding during your Seattle stay!
Old 05-06-10, 07:15 PM
zacster

Hope you have good weather and great riding during your Seattle stay!
It's getting close enough that I can start checking weather.com's 10 day forecast. We all know that it must be right!

They're saying sunny, mid 60s through next week. That's perfect riding weather. I hope it really does stay that way.
Old 05-06-10, 07:22 PM
BengeBoy 

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Zacster, in case we have not already provided it -- here is a good set of local rides:

https://www.seattlebicycleclub.org/members/library.html
Old 05-07-10, 10:43 PM
Tom Pedale

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's getting close enough that I can start checking weather.com's 10 day forecast. We all know that it must be right!

They're saying sunny, mid 60s through next week. That's perfect riding weather. I hope it really does stay that way.
It's definitely improving...been out both Thurs & Fri..and the weekend weather looks good!