Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 06:58 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why yes, I do understand that reference, Popeye, even though it was feet, not toes.
Old 09-21-17, 07:20 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
(While the young'uns wonder WTF the, ah, "cyclists of a certain age" are talking about...)

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-06-17, 01:01 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
My front wheel is wobbly. Why? When I track stand the brakes rub. Even if the brakes are waay open. I can wiggle the rim from pad to pad by hand quite easily. The spokes feel tight. The wheel is clamped into the fork tight. Do I need a new wheel? Is something broken? Do I need to take it to a bike shop?
Old 10-06-17, 02:15 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
My front wheel is wobbly. Why? When I track stand the brakes rub. Even if the brakes are waay open. I can wiggle the rim from pad to pad by hand quite easily. The spokes feel tight. The wheel is clamped into the fork tight. Do I need a new wheel? Is something broken? Do I need to take it to a bike shop?
How are the bearings that let the wheel spin on the axle? If you take the wheel out, can the axle rattle relative to the hub?
Old 10-06-17, 08:17 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I fully expect to get derided for this, but so far I like this set up more than my Kurt Kinetic. Less set up time, better feel, about the same resistance. Eventually I'll use it for its intended purpose but for now its my recovery tool (and some training when winter arrives).

Old 10-06-17, 08:32 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I think you just discovered why you crash so much!
Old 10-06-17, 09:23 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Sounds like your bearings are shot. Hie thee to thine LBS!

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-06-17, 09:43 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chuck, I had to laugh but this is probably what it deserved as a followup to the crashing comment.

furiousferret, put a towel down behind the rear wheel and a rug or something under the rollers. There are poor choices, such as you expected to be pointed out, and there are dumb decisions that might not readily appear to be so at first.

Last edited by miyata man; 10-06-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-06-17, 10:59 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
that looks like magnetic resistance on there?

anyway, who would deride you for using rollers? I used mine like that with a fork stand for the TT bike all the time.
Old 10-06-17, 11:26 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
that looks like magnetic resistance on there?

anyway, who would deride you for using rollers? I used mine like that with a fork stand for the TT bike all the time.
Phew, I thought someone would make a rollers training wheels reference.

Last edited by furiousferret; 10-06-17 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-06-17, 11:41 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
You either have really bad luck with equipment, or don't take care of it... how old is this wheel?

my race videos
Old 10-06-17, 12:11 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by mattm
You either have really bad luck with equipment, or don't take care of it... how old is this wheel?
One season. But really - it's a freaking front wheel! What should I be doing, rocking it to sleep every night?

A while back I had Mavic Ksyrium wheels that were already many years old and I rode them for years until the rim was too worn out on one, and I ran straight into a curb in the dark and dented the other. Never touched the bearings. So yeah, if I have to service bearings every year I'm definitely not on the right wheelset. I'm too lazy for that s***!

I just want a bike that I can replace the chain and tires every 2 or 3 months, and replace gears, cables, and derailleur once a year. And infinity bearings made of pure diamond lol.
Old 10-06-17, 12:38 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
buy some racerims. I'm heavy and have like 35k miles on the cheaper hub option w/o problem.
Old 10-06-17, 01:32 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One season. But really - it's a freaking front wheel! What should I be doing, rocking it to sleep every night?

A while back I had Mavic Ksyrium wheels that were already many years old and I rode them for years until the rim was too worn out on one, and I ran straight into a curb in the dark and dented the other. Never touched the bearings. So yeah, if I have to service bearings every year I'm definitely not on the right wheelset. I'm too lazy for that s***!

I just want a bike that I can replace the chain and tires every 2 or 3 months, and replace gears, cables, and derailleur once a year. And infinity bearings made of pure diamond lol.
You replace your derailleurs yearly?
Old 10-06-17, 01:57 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sealed bearing wheels require more maintenance than good quality sealed will under normal conditions.

Fork stands with rollers are pretty lame excepting TT bike use. I will admit to maybe one time in many years I would have liked to read a book or do anything but hold the bike upright for a few hours.
Old 10-06-17, 03:12 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by rankin116
You replace your derailleurs yearly?
Rear only. The pivot points get loose and won't keep it aligned over time. Or it'll just get slightly bent from some unknown fall. Really all I know is after a while it just won't shift well. Half the time it's the cables and half the time it's the derailleur, and half the time it's both. Don't bother with the math.

Front seems to last forever.
Old 10-06-17, 03:27 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What wheel is the front wheel now?

And I'll second racerim. My first set lasted 3 years only to die by having someone fall on the rear wheel during a crash. That set had White Industry hubs. My aluminum set has the base hub and are also close to 3 years old ... problem free.
Old 10-06-17, 04:02 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear only. The pivot points get loose and won't keep it aligned over time. Or it'll just get slightly bent from some unknown fall. Really all I know is after a while it just won't shift well. Half the time it's the cables and half the time it's the derailleur, and half the time it's both. Don't bother with the math.
Odds are it's the derailleur hanger that gets bent, not the derailleur itself. I've never had to replace a derailleur.
Old 10-06-17, 05:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Front seems to last forever.
On a previous race bike I had a SRAM Red FD fall apart after a year or two. I replaced it with a DA 7800 that I had lying around until I could order a replacement but it worked so well I just left it on. Repurposed it again on my CX bike. It will probably last forever unless it gets damaged in a crash somehow.
Old 10-06-17, 05:34 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by hack
What wheel is the front wheel now?

And I'll second racerim. My first set lasted 3 years only to die by having someone fall on the rear wheel during a crash. That set had White Industry hubs. My aluminum set has the base hub and are also close to 3 years old ... problem free.
Flo 30s. Also the rear rim seems to have a ding it it that causes noise while braking. Its annoying but still stops just fine. Damn I was hoping these things would last longer.

Originally Posted by jsk
Odds are it's the derailleur hanger that gets bent, not the derailleur itself. I've never had to replace a derailleur.
That happens also sometimes. But usually the new derailleur solves all shifting issues.
Old 10-06-17, 06:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Surprised about the Flo, I've had no issues with the hubs on my front 30.
Old 10-07-17, 09:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I think you are just hard on equipment and don't really take good care of it.

If you're denting rims, it means you're hitting something - pot holes, rocks, curbs - which you admit to hitting. Stop riding into that crap and things won't break.

And you shouldn't need to replace RDs that frequently. I've seen RDs break, but it's not a common thing. I would guess most of us get 100k miles on our RDs.

Also, from previous posts, I think you tend to ride through a lot of bad weather/conditions and don't always clean things off. That can lead to chains, cables, chainrings, and cassettes wearing out prematurely.

Lastly, I still don't think you've found a qualified mechanic to fix your bike.

Of the guys I know who post tons of miles every year, none of them go through equipment like you.
Old 10-07-17, 12:26 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I've had a jockey wheel crack after only 18,000km or so but didn't have to replace the whole RD.

I had great luck with my equipment this year. It's been over 4000km since I've even had a flat (GP4000s II).
Old 10-07-17, 12:34 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I think you are just hard on equipment and don't really take good care of it.
this.
Old 10-07-17, 03:10 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I've had a couple of RDs stress crack on me and need replacement. Sometimes **** happens!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.