Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Horror: Junk Build, High-End-Hatchet job, Frankenbike Challenge Extravaganza

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Horror: Junk Build, High-End-Hatchet job, Frankenbike Challenge Extravaganza

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 10:20 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Do you remember the brief time when companies were selling mountain bikes with one 29" wheel and on 26" wheel? I think by the terminology of that time this would be a ninety-seven-and-a-halfer.
Or a seven-aught-six-and-a-half-er.....
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-12-23, 10:25 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
It looks like all the cable ties on Smella are the same color. At work I used to have a tube of assorted and high visibility colors that may suit this “better”.
The bar is low, but the Limbo is strong in this thread.
Old 10-12-23, 10:29 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by Swampthing
It looks like all the cable ties on Smella are the same color. At work I used to have a tube of assorted and high visibility colors that may suit this “better”.
The bar is low, but the Limbo is strong in this thread.
absolutely! I have to get my game moving.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-12-23, 10:29 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Or a seven-aught-six-and-a-half-er.....
Yes, bringing in the road bike convention for tire size naming does seem appropriate in this case, and I like the way your suggestion just completely fails to roll off the tongue. Or perhaps, using the German notion of 28" wheels combined with the current mountain bike 27.5 thing, a 7.58er. I was never clear about which order the numbers were supposed to be in.
Old 10-12-23, 10:32 AM
Andy_K 

Oh, you're right. What was I thinking! Well, I still have a brake cable to attach, and I have a few more colors of zip ties I can use.
Old 10-12-23, 10:50 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Is that a 650b front wheel? Digging the Hetre - have them on my Gugificazione Competition.
this just gave me a horrible idea.
Old 10-12-23, 10:54 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Narhay
Very close indeed. Yours has wraparound stays whereas mine didn't.
It's very good to hear from you, Narahy! I hadn't seen any posts from you in a while.

The Eagle rear derailleur on my Smella is the same model I used on my first entry in a Clunker 100 Challenge, so I was thinking about you even before the Google Lens match came up.
Old 10-12-23, 11:03 AM
Andy_K 

You know, I also have dreams of making a horrifically ugly bike, but what I'm finding is that no matter how ridiculous and ugly the things I put on it are, I look at it and realize that I've seen people unironically riding much worse on the streets of Portland.
Having now posted the Smella, I feel like I need to document this claim. I was looking through my photo archive for a picture I thought I had of a bike entirely wrapped in fur. I couldn't find it, but I did find these.

(from one of the bike shows we did at Velo Cult!)

(seen on the bike rack where I work)

(what was this guy thinking with that stem?)

(some people have no sense of aesthetics!)

I have to confess, those last two are mine. These still aren't as bad as some of what I've seen. While looking for instances of a 69er, I came across this truly horrific thing, which was apparently shown at the 2010 NAHBS.

When I see a thing like that, I'm reminded of a quote from Isaac Newton, "I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
Old 10-12-23, 11:20 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Not so great weather this morning cold in the low 30's windy with a bit of snow and some snow on the ground in places. So I was able to take the Jeunet Zombie bike out for a quick ride and get some more bad weather fall pics.

Some snow on the ground and fall leaves for some color.

Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-12-23, 02:19 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by zukahn1
There's a Facebook page called "my bike leaning against stuff" or something like that. This picture would be perfect for that.

For the purposes of this thread, bonus points for the NDS photo.
Old 10-12-23, 02:25 PM
Andy_K 

So, I get to work today and see this.

The Fred culture is strong here.

I intend to ride the Smella to work on Halloween, but I hope the owner of this bike doesn't confront me with the whole "my culture is not a costume" thing.

Speaking of which, do you think the Paramount welder was serious about that? I thought I understood him, but the "Pretty Fly" post has me questioning everything.
Old 10-12-23, 02:45 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Heck Andy,
If I had a lowrider I could be Pretty Fly, but I am not sure, because I grew up in the Ghetto and folks might still recognize me. And I can't dance cause I'm a white guy with no sense of rhythm, so not even close to break dancing unless it means breaking a bone.
Smiles, Brother Dave
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-12-23, 02:48 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
It's very good to hear from you, Narahy! I hadn't seen any posts from you in a while.

The Eagle rear derailleur on my Smella is the same model I used on my first entry in a Clunker 100 Challenge, so I was thinking about you even before the Google Lens match came up.
Nice to be remembered. I've stopped in a few times but I've been working through a backlog of parts to be cleaned and catalogued instead of buying new projects and a backyard renovation that has consumed my spare mechanical time.

I've been riding a fair bit although I'll admit it is mostly on a 1993 Rockhopper and 2003 Norco Monterey hybrid to and from work these days with a dash of the occasional C&V road bike I'll likely rekindle the flame in the workshop once the months get colder and more time is spent indoors.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 10-12-23, 02:52 PM
Mad Honk 

Dave # 2 is gonna get some competition for his Huffente likely next week. I have put MS. Guerciotti in a box for him. Here is how she got dressed for the trip:

Sporting her best Halloween outfit of Prison jump suit orange with black jewelry on all of her body parts.
I think she is gonna be festive enough for the trip. ( it is not covered in fur but just pool noodles) Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-12-23, 04:21 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Weather got worse this afternoon 30 degrees with a nice wind 30 mile or so at times and snow so 15 or so with the chill factor. Got some proper bad weather riding in on the Fuji coaster.

Yes actual snow on the ground.

Last edited by zukahn1; 10-12-23 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-12-23, 05:58 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

It seems like that Fuji is more fun than horrible.
Old 10-13-23, 09:26 AM
zukahn1 

It seems like that Fuji is more fun than horrible.
The Fuji looks a bit fun in some pics but is actually kinda horrible to ride especially on hills mountains. Don't really like the coaster for hills and the front safety brake screaches when applied hard but the bike really wouldn't be safe to ride without one IMHO. Also the handling while fine on flat land but is a bit sketchy on hills both going up and down. Then the 42/18 SS gearing with no freewheel back pedaling just kinda sucks in the mountains. I guess this is one bike that is much worse close up in person and ridden than in pics. So a bit of fail on the horror factor for this thread should look totally horrible insane and ride nice this one looks pretty nice fun but rides kinda horrible may just be I'm too used to riding bikes that are great riders.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-13-23, 12:43 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Good explanation.
I can understand the cool on the outside horrible on the inside experience.
I’m having a heck of a time getting used the coaster brake on my horrible chrome KHS build.
the two speed kickback sounded like a good idea, but if one is used to either a freewheel or fixed gear the coaster brake is awkward.
your pictures really do seem to indicate some pleasant rides.
that marketing effect ads another level of horror.
Old 10-13-23, 02:49 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by zukahn1
So a bit of fail on the horror factor for this thread should look totally horrible insane and ride nice
That's kind of what I was hoping for with the Snella, but right now I don't know. I haven't put it on the road yet, but in the the stand it feels like the brakes will be good but the drivetrain will be atrocious. My big chainring is a 1/8" track ring, so I intended for that to just serve as a decorative chain guard. I've got an 8-speed cassette in the back, but the derailleur only has enough range to hit the six smallest cogs. I'm ok with that too. What I didn't expect is that I can't seem to find any position where the chain isn't try to jump out of gear in both the front and rear. Maybe I need a different chain. I don't know.
Old 10-13-23, 04:44 PM
Mad Honk 

I am hoping that Kurt will have an entry soon. He claims a need for a special fork but why should that hold him back? Har! Dave # 2
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-13-23, 06:45 PM
zukahn1 

That's kind of what I was hoping for with the Snella, but right now I don't know. I haven't put it on the road yet, but in the the stand it feels like the brakes will be good but the drivetrain will be atrocious. My big chainring is a 1/8" track ring, so I intended for that to just serve as a decorative chain guard. I've got an 8-speed cassette in the back, but the derailleur only has enough range to hit the six smallest cogs. I'm ok with that too. What I didn't expect is that I can't seem to find any position where the chain isn't try to jump out of gear in both the front and rear. Maybe I need a different chain. I don't know.
Looks like you have medium shorter RD from pics good chance a long cage with a bit of extra play and an extra axel washer on the drive side should help clear things up bit. I have faith you can find a really ugly long cage something like a modern mega range off a wally level bike might as well get the mega range crappy freewheel easy to paint the big cog.
Old 10-13-23, 06:49 PM
zukahn1 

There's a Facebook page called "my bike leaning against stuff" or something like that. This picture would be perfect for that.

For the purposes of this thread, bonus points for the NDS photo.
Yes the wrong side wrong way photo with some clutter in the background was intentional to up the subtle horror factor.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-18-23, 04:54 PM
zukahn1 

Got a bit more work done on the Jeunet zombie bike some stickers and a mismatched dust cap to to ad to the clutter and horror factor and a bit of wrenching to get it riding silky smooth for a now close to 50lb bike that should be about 25. Got a bit of riding and some nice fall pics with my camera sorted out. I have pretty much written the Fuji off as a fail at this point as horror bike will likely get a few more pic's and a couple rides in clean it up touch up the paint and donate back to the thrift store were I got the bike and most of the parts they should be able to get $150 or so for it surprisingly a lot of the teens here in Fairplay like this style retro rebuild SS style and several ride stuff that is worse.

Old 10-20-23, 11:39 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Finally holding up my end for the Three Daves

Interesting process that splatter paint. Wear a lot of the splatter.

As part of hideous-a-fying of the Toilet Bowlnago, I decided to start with John Deer paint (it was going over powder coat so it is not permanent by any means).

Then I thought I’d try my hand at splatter. Actually it was a blast but I dislocated twenty bones in my right arm whilst partaking of the dab and throw method.

i started on the chainstay but then it spread like mono in a college dorm...

Thinking about some other surprises but would like to get it mostly built first for when I take my trip up to Charlottesville this week.

Baking in the sun. Hopefully get in 2 hours before it rains.

“What the fork did you do to that thing?”
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 10-20-23, 12:38 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
There are medications for that, but it may be contagious on contact...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.