Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Roadie genuinely interested in pros/cons of recumbents

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Roadie genuinely interested in pros/cons of recumbents

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 02:42 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero and a Giro dual 26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slo Joe Recumbo
1. Bad Back and thought I'd have to give up cycling when a fellow club rider said:" Try a recumbent" My response: "Okay, what's a recumbent?" That was in the fall of '98. Bought a V-REX in the spring of '99. Now that I know the feeling of "no pain" if anyone asks why they should go recumbent I'd say that there are two major reasons: "The fun factor and virtually no pain."

2. Speed loss on steep or long hills. Some disagree, but I'm willing to bet it all you'd be slower overall on a very hilly course. I'm as fast or faster on rollers and flats. Tremendous efficiency into a headwind. I've often remarked to my huffing roadie friends: "What headwind?". The other "efficiency" area is that you're anywhere from 15% to 30% more efficient because of your aerodynamics. You simply do not feel as tired after a long ride such as a metric, century, or double century. After my first century I felt like asking: "Can we do another right now?" Never would have said that after a century on a DF. CLWB's or LWB's are not as maneuverable in city cycling conditions.

3. That's a myth. Recumbents are so different they get "noticed" and to this day (5 years later) cars still give me a wider berth, look, smile and wave.

4. Yup. Track stands. Bunny hopping. "Dancing" the bike when tunes are playing in my head. Ability to look over my shoulder. However, I now realize the added safety benefit of a mirror and won't leave home without one. Riding no hands for the fun of it. With a V-REX (20/26) I missed doing pacelines with my DF friends; all I could do was hang on the back as there's almost no draft off a 20/26. I now have a Bacchetta Strada and can do pace lines and DFer's can get a draft off me. I'm not fast but was able to pull a group of about 6 DFer's I hooked up with on a tour into a headwind doing 19 to 21 mph and got a bunch of thank you's because of the length of pull I was able to take. Couldn't have done that on the V-REX OR a DF.

As an afternote, I kept my DF saying to myself "I'll ride this now and then." Decided one day to ride it on a very hilly century. Took it for a test ride. Put it up for sale as soon as I got home from the test ride.
Hi Joe,

Sorry to have to disagree with you on your hill assesment. Your points are well taken but on a bike like the dual 26 Bacchetta Aero which weighs in at under 22 lbs with weight weinie parts climbs very well except until you get to the gastly steep over 10% plus grades. The DF has a deffinate advantage in this kind of climbing. But how many course's have only this kind of terriane? Most course are mixed and when this is the case two equaly fit riders one on an Aero and one on a DF bike the Aero rider will be much faster overall on said course. On some hilly sections the DF will be faster. But overall the speed thing goes to the bent. So maybe ride the DF in those really steep hilly roads Joe. All I have to say is that my Aero is just to fast of a bicycle. I have a slower one ordered so that I can ride slower and have more fun and do a little touring.

Mr. Gorilla
Old 03-20-05, 05:14 AM
Slo Joe Recumbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Magilla Gorilla
Hi Joe,

Sorry to have to disagree with you on your hill assesment. Your points are well taken but on a bike like the dual 26 Bacchetta Aero which weighs in at under 22 lbs with weight weinie parts climbs very well except until you get to the gastly steep over 10% plus grades. The DF has a deffinate advantage in this kind of climbing. But how many course's have only this kind of terriane? Most course are mixed and when this is the case two equaly fit riders one on an Aero and one on a DF bike the Aero rider will be much faster overall on said course. On some hilly sections the DF will be faster. But overall the speed thing goes to the bent. So maybe ride the DF in those really steep hilly roads Joe. All I have to say is that my Aero is just to fast of a bicycle. I have a slower one ordered so that I can ride slower and have more fun and do a little touring.

Mr. Gorilla
Dear Mr. Gorilla Sir...

Can't disagree with the AERO as a super hill climber. Me comments were more about all the other bents like my 30 lb V-REX. I've noticed a BIG difference on my hill cllimbing since I switched to the Strada to where I'd say I'm better on rollers and short hills than I was on a DF.

There's only one thing I ask: Can I have your engine?

<g>

Cheers
Old 03-21-05, 02:15 AM
bentrox!
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And are'nt you going to threaten me before you leave dude?
I like internet threats. You know when your sitting in a bar you watch what you say but on the net? all bets are off. I would say that you are a childish little baby that can not have his little way here.

Mr. Gorilla to you
Oh yeah, Mr. Gorilla, you're so helpful! Who couldn't like you, you big ape, you?

Back to the subject:
1. Why did you guys (or gals) make the move to recumbents? I like the way I feel when riding this way - no pain, tremendous fun, great speeds, I ride more often now.

2. Is there any speed/efficiency gain/loss? Did I mention great speed?

3. How do you deal with the reduced visibility to motorists? They notice me more now than when I rode my anonymous bike. I don't have have a reduced visibility to motorists - I have an increased one.

4. Do you miss anything about your traditional style rides? Yes, curb-hopping and just hopping on the bike. The trade-off is worth it. Oh, yeah, really.
Old 03-21-05, 02:40 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentrox!
Oh yeah, Mr. Gorilla, you're so helpful! Who couldn't like you, you big ape, you?

Back to the subject:
1. Why did you guys (or gals) make the move to recumbents? I like the way I feel when riding this way - no pain, tremendous fun, great speeds, I ride more often now.

2. Is there any speed/efficiency gain/loss? Did I mention great speed?

3. How do you deal with the reduced visibility to motorists? They notice me more now than when I rode my anonymous bike. I don't have have a reduced visibility to motorists - I have an increased one.

4. Do you miss anything about your traditional style rides? Yes, curb-hopping and just hopping on the bike. The trade-off is worth it. Oh, yeah, really.
Ahh, Now some good disscussion of what bents are really about.
I moved into them because in our club we had an older guy that built them in his garage and beat up on us on group rides even though he was 20 years older. We beat him but with great effort. Got the gears to turning. That old guy is none other than bent guru Ralph Koser of Ihpva race fame on his many contraptions.
I still ride traditional bikes and still am quite fond of them but I enjoy road rides most on a fast recumbent. There is just no comparison for the speed and comfort that these bikes especially the new highracers offer.
And yes there are visibility issues with bents but the Highracers mimimize this and of course DF bikes are probably best in this area but one has to weigh the pros and cons of the designs. It is a non issue for me.
I am against riding lowracers on busy public roads. Others will disagree here. So take what you want and buy whatever bike you want.
I am moving more into the utilitarian uses for the recumbent bicycle and away from the pure speed aspects of these designs. I feel that Bacchetta makes about the best all around 'bent in there new Giro dual 26 model. I have one coming. I will set this bike up to carry touring loads and will ride around on this for awhile to see what that is all about.

MG
Old 03-21-05, 03:58 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Mr. Gorilla Sir...

Can't disagree with the AERO as a super hill climber. Me comments were more about all the other bents like my 30 lb V-REX. I've noticed a BIG difference on my hill cllimbing since I switched to the Strada to where I'd say I'm better on rollers and short hills than I was on a DF.

There's only one thing I ask: Can I have your engine?

<g>

Cheers
Now Joe my engine is not much better than yours at this point in time. I have little time for riding.
I would ask that you lend your support to "B" since they make a nice fast light recumbent.
I have a Giro dual 26 coming soon. I will post a report on the "B" site. It is the whole touring deal for me Joe. Slow Magillago I guess. Go slow and carry them tents and junk but I think the giro will handle it fine Joe.
The Aero is for riders like Jim Kern and not me so I will ride a Giro. Just what I need.....

MG
Old 03-21-05, 12:16 PM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow joe Recumbo! You rock man. You are a legend and a hero to recumbent riders like me who ride for fun with nothing to prove.

You are a #1 cool guy.

Spuds
Old 03-22-05, 04:02 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone interested in bents for speed should stick with there DF bike. Most of them are slow and heavey and expensive. A few of them are speedy but are really expensive. One can get a top quality DF bike for around 2000 bucks or even less that will out perform most recumbent bicycles.
But of course over time the price of these fast recumbents will drop. But for now the price of these is really high. And you will have to suffer the embaresment of ridding one until they are accepted more. So the truth for one who is truly interested in bents stick with the DF for now....

MG
Old 03-22-05, 08:03 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Embarrassment? Heck, every time I ride my bent out in public, people are always running up to me saying how cool it is and begging me to let them try it. I can't tell you how many hot chicks I've met in the last 2 weeks just because of my bent. Bents are like peace on two wheels, dude. Bring smiles of joy wherever they roam.
Old 03-22-05, 09:10 AM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg
Embarrassment? ...Bents are like peace on two wheels, dude. Bring smiles of joy wherever they roam.
Recumbenting is a smelling the roses thing to do. I am never embarrassed to ride with duct tap, zip ties, plastic coroplast and a big pot belly like most all other bent fellows. Benters are a unique breed of folk.

Spuds
Old 03-22-05, 11:22 AM
toybox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spuds McDoogle
big pot belly like most all other bent fellows

Spuds
Speak for yourself, Spuds. All the PBJ's and going slow are adding to your "big pot belly"
Old 03-22-05, 12:20 PM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbenting is a smelling the roses thing to do. I am never embarrassed to ride with duct tap, zip ties, plastic coroplast and a big pot belly like most all other bent fellows. Benters are a unique breed of folk.

Spuds
Hey Spuds you forgot the beard thing. I have a pot belly and a beard. That is SOP over on sites like BROL.
And Bacchetta has a goodly number of pot bellied bearded bicycle riders.
But the king of bellies and beards has to be trikes followed by Easyracers customers.

MG
Old 03-22-05, 03:58 PM
bentrox!
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Spuds you forgot the beard thing. I have a pot belly and a beard. That is SOP...
MG
FOG is SOP in the world of bents - how many of you out there fit this profile?
If beard 'n bellies are de rigueur, should I start growing one of each?
How is this addressing Sawtooth's inquiry? Maybe MG chose a bent because of his beard and belly?
Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 03-22-05, 05:50 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spuds shouldn't bother you guys too much over here for a while. I've got him over at bicycling.coms forum annoying me now. have fun guys
Old 03-22-05, 06:27 PM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
Spuds shouldn't bother you guys too much over here for a while. I've got him over at bicycling.coms forum annoying me now. have fun guys
I am still here with my heavy homebuilt velomobile and PBJs. I walked up 5 hills today.

Spuds
Old 03-22-05, 08:13 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by bentrox!
Maybe MG chose a bent because of his beard and belly?
Inquiring minds want to know...
The only pic I ever saw of MG was beardless and thin...

Old 03-23-05, 12:18 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
Now that you have spuds attention are'nt you going to threaten him in person with great bodily harm chris?
A pot belly and a PBJ and you want to beat up on the guy?

MG
Old 03-23-05, 12:22 AM
Magilla Gorilla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The only pic I ever saw of MG was beardless and thin...
Why do you recumbent people publish what kind of recumbent you ride at the bottom of each post?
I never did figure that one out.
A bicycle is a bicycle. Its like some kind of religious cult or something. Bent or to the gallows for you!
Like I said a bike is a bike.

MG
Old 03-23-05, 07:43 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
A bicycle is a bicycle. Its like some kind of religious cult or something. Bent or to the gallows for you! Like I said a bike is a bike.

MG
Can't we just all get along and sing folk songs? C'mon Kev, you start! Let's hear you!

Old 03-23-05, 08:31 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Spuds a couple of PBJ sandwiches short of a picnic?
Old 03-23-05, 09:44 PM
norton
EmperorNorton II

Bikes: Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Is Spuds a couple of PBJ sandwiches short of a picnic?

No....He has 2 too many & wants to share with you 1/2 way up the hill....
Old 03-28-05, 01:34 AM
erik forsgren

Bikes: Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Alright, I am all ears....
1. Why did you guys (or gals) make the move to recumbents?
2. Is there any speed/efficiency gain/loss?
3. How do you deal with the reduced visibility to motorists?
4. Do you miss anything about your traditional style rides?

Thanks
1. After having flown - at the risk of dying - over the handlebars on my DF and landed more or less wounded I decided to get myself a real bike - a recumbent. 2. I consider myself to be much faster on a recumbent. 3. The visibility is not reduced. It is increased. 4. The possibility to defeat DF riders in competitions
Old 03-28-05, 08:34 AM
todd6559
iTod

Bikes: RANS Rocket, RANS Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
Alright, I am all ears....
1. Why did you guys (or gals) make the move to recumbents?
2. Is there any speed/efficiency gain/loss?
3. How do you deal with the reduced visibility to motorists?
4. Do you miss anything about your traditional style rides?

1. Comfort, fun, increased distance potential for touring, recommendation of older brother, age (45), being able to look up and around while riding, I tried my brother's and got hooked!
2. Slower uphill, faster downhill
3. I seem to get more notice from motorists than before
4. PAIN (but I don't really miss it); silence I use to enjoy when I didn't have to hear kids say "nice bike! can I ride it" every ride (I don't really miss that either! ; ease of transporting, standing on pedals uphill
Old 03-28-05, 08:42 AM
todd6559
iTod

Bikes: RANS Rocket, RANS Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kept my DF saying to myself "I'll ride this now and then." Decided one day to ride it . . . Took it for a test ride. Put it up for sale as soon as I got home from the test ride.
Hey SloJoe -- I cracked up when I read this, because I DID THE EXACT SAME THING! (not the hilly century though -- didn't have to go that far to know I was never going back to the DF. And I ended up giving my DF to the son of a friend, which was cool).
Old 03-28-05, 10:43 AM
Spuds McDoogle
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erik forsgren
The possibility to defeat DF riders in competitions
Comments or goals from recumbent riders like getting a recumbent "to defeat roadies" are laughable considering that race design recumbents have an advantage to a USCF frame design. In order to compete on a level playing field participants of a race ride the same bike design or bike specific class.

Anyone who rides a low race style recumbent can go faster than a DF rider if they train to do so. There is nothing difficult about doing so and it becomes rather easy. It is not fair play when recumbent riders intentionally pursue DF riders with the limited goals such as:
- passing DF roadies
- proving something to the DF community
- defeating DF riders in competitions.

These are the FACTS.
• There are zero races between DF riders and recumbents.
• There are zero races in the US that compare DF riders and recumbent riders speeds with chip timing.
• Recumbents and USCF design bicycles are 2 completely different platforms with no direct or equal speed comparisons value.
• There are no recumbent races in the Olympics that match recumbents against DFs.

Recumbent riders who are competitive should race fellow recumbent racers. Accurate recumbent speed data will be posted following any HPV race. "Toasting" roadie BS is boring and has ZERO value to the recumbent or recumbent racing community. The USCF can care less about recumbent vs. DF speeds.

If you want to prove something about recumbent speed show up at an HPV race this season. There are plenty of worth while legitimate recumbent goals to pursue at HPV sanctioned races

Spuds
Old 03-28-05, 11:17 AM
norton
EmperorNorton II

Bikes: Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comments or goals from recumbent riders like getting a recumbent "to defeat roadies" are laughable considering that race design recumbents have an advantage to a USCF frame design. In order to compete on a level playing field participants of a race ride the same bike design or bike specific class.

Anyone who rides a low race style recumbent can go faster than a DF rider if they train to do so. There is nothing difficult about doing so and it becomes rather easy. It is not fair play when recumbent riders intentionally pursue DF riders with the limited goals such as:
- passing DF roadies
- proving something to the DF community
- defeating DF riders in competitions.

These are the FACTS.
• There are zero races between DF riders and recumbents.
• There are zero races in the US that compare DF riders and recumbent riders speeds with chip timing.
• Recumbents and USCF design bicycles are 2 completely different platforms with no direct or equal speed comparisons value.
• There are no recumbent races in the Olympics that match recumbents against DFs.

Recumbent riders who are competitive should race fellow recumbent racers. Accurate recumbent speed data will be posted following any HPV race. "Toasting" roadie BS is boring and has ZERO value to the recumbent or recumbent racing community. The USCF can care less about recumbent vs. DF speeds.

If you want to prove something about recumbent speed show up at an HPV race this season. There are plenty of worth while legitimate recumbent goals to pursue at HPV sanctioned races

Spuds

......You can't be the REAL Spuds McDoogle!......What have you done with Spuds!.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.