Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Removal Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 08:32 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts

I have a question...Which direction will loosen this bottom bracket? First time I have ever serviced one and this is a new learning experience for me. Thanks in advance for the help! I am thinking that they loosen going toward the rear of the frame?

1995 Bianchi Trofeo
Old 04-30-22, 08:52 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Ah, the miracle that is Google:

"The common threading for bottom bracket shells is called “English.” The left-side cup is a right-hand thread direction, which tightens clockwise and removes counterclockwise. The right-side (drive-side) thread is a left-hand thread, which tightens counterclockwise and loosen clockwise."

"The less common Italian has both left and right sides with right-hand threading. Both sides tighten clockwise and loosen counterclockwise. Italian threaded cups will have marking stating '36x24.'"

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ation-threaded
Old 04-30-22, 08:53 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The NDS will ALWAYS be right hand thread, so normal right-tight left-loose. The DS...who knows on the frame. Measure the wide of the bb shell and it's 68mm then you have an English bb so it's left hand thread. If it's 70mm then it's Italian and will be right hand thread.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-30-22, 09:23 AM
JRD

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Composite with Campagnolo Record 11 Groupo - 2015 Giant Talon 4 27.5

I love this place lots of great information and quick too. Thanks for the help. Is there anything I need to do to this sealed unit before I reinstall?

Old 04-30-22, 09:34 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Clean it really well, grease on the threads, good to go. While your at it, clean the inside of the bb shell along with the threads. You can put a thin layer of grease on the inside surface.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 04-30-22, 09:35 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Hmmm.... I've never seen a square taper axle with marks on the end like that. Was someone ponding on the axle with a hammer?
Why did you need to take it off in the first place?
Old 04-30-22, 09:45 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by JRD
I love this place lots of great information and quick too. Thanks for the help. Is there anything I need to do to this sealed unit before I reinstall?
It looks like you successfully removed the BB. Was it English or Italian threaded? Did you remove the drive side cup cw or ccw? I would assume it's Italian threaded based on the frame brand, but that's just an assumption.
Old 04-30-22, 10:05 AM
JRD

Originally Posted by MudPie
It looks like you successfully removed the BB. Was it English or Italian threaded? Did you remove the drive side cup cw or ccw? I would assume it's Italian threaded based on the frame brand, but that's just an assumption.
It was english threaded drive side was cw

Last edited by JRD; 04-30-22 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For JRD:
Old 04-30-22, 10:08 AM
JRD

Originally Posted by trailangel
Hmmm.... I've never seen a square taper axle with marks on the end like that. Was someone ponding on the axle with a hammer?
Why did you need to take it off in the first place?
To my knowledge no one was pounding on it. I just wanted to gain some experience and this bike is my learning bike for a complete tear down and rebuild. I also considered repainting the frame The Bianchi Celeste color and the bracket would have to be removed for that. I am still considering a repaint and new decals just to gain the whole learning experience.

Last edited by JRD; 04-30-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-30-22, 10:11 AM
JRD

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Clean it really well, grease on the threads, good to go. While your at it, clean the inside of the bb shell along with the threads. You can put a thin layer of grease on the inside surface.
Thank you for that info!
Old 04-30-22, 02:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by JRD
Is there anything I need to do to this sealed unit before I reinstall?
If the bottom bracket is in good condition, then no. If it does not spin smoothly, then you might as well replace it now that you have removed it. (An excellent Made in Japan Tange Seiki BB is only $30: Tange LN-3922 Square Taper Bottom Bracket – The Bikesmiths, and can often be found even cheaper on eBay.) Otherwise, you may ding the nice new paint job you are about to put on the bike if you have to replace the bottom bracket in the future.