Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stoker bottom bracket installation (Burley)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 07:21 PM
oberwl

Bikes: Custom Ti Gravel Self built Force AXS 1 X 12, Allied Cycle Works All Disc Force AXS DT Swiss 1400 Spine, Santa Cruz CC XTR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I've got the bottom bracket out. It consists of a spindle, and 2 bearings that were pressed on the spindle plus a C clips on each side of the shell holding the assembly in.

So I'm wondering do I just install each bearing on the end of the spindle and simultaneously press both bearings in with a drift??

What's the professional method. I've got just about every tool, but don't do tandem too often. Forgot this one.
Old 07-03-17, 12:55 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the BB assembly is usually replaced as an assembly.

the time/cost involved with replacing the bearings separately is typically much higher than the cost of an assembly.

time is money.
Old 07-03-17, 02:53 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I'm familiar with the c-clip style pressed in bearings, usually the spindle is free floating and held in place with locking collars. I suppose I'd get one bearing in place and try to kinda simultaneously install the spindle and second bearing to keep from having to press the spindle through both bearings while they were in the shell. If only to minimize the side loads on a brand new set of bearings.

Also in a pinch old bearings make decent drifts for installing new ones. With those things though getting the old bearings out is like 98% of the battle, if you got that far I think you'll be fine.