Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

N+1: 1979 Medici Pro-Strada

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

N+1: 1979 Medici Pro-Strada

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 09:21 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
No worries, I've helped and been helped by my fair share of fellow BF'ers, figured I'd toss out the offer.

Recently swapped an '88 Fuji for a mostly complete early 80s Zeus frame that I'm shocked anyone was riding.
Repaint, deep TT dents, seat stays both mangled but sporting a mostly complete Zeus 2000 group in similar shape to yours, only lacking a rear caliper, hubs, one shift lever screw, two pedal dust caps - 26.8 seat post, bars, panto'd stem are unusually nice. Not sure what was up with the fwd-mounted cheapy chinese no-name rear caliper and mix of iL/Sansin hubs tied to 27" 70s steel wheels, but I wasn't judging.

No clue what the hell to do with it all, either but your post seemed to cosmically perfect, like it was meant to be.

I need some early 80s Campy NR/SR stuff, if you don't need anything off this, I'll probably post as WTT in the sales forum.
You know, @Wildwood commented here that he was interested in the CL ad, trying to see if the seller would part it out. I'm assuming he might be interested in talking to you about your Zeus 2000 stuff. I think he'd be wanting to put it on a recently-acquired Zeus frame. You might drop him a line

Failing that, I bet it would go for good money on Ebay. Zeus stuff - mainly the higher end, which is what we've both got - always gets attention there. I suppose part of that is its relative rarity.

I'm getting excited as heck to get this on the road; I haven't ridden Zeus 2000 since 1989.

DD
Old 05-01-17, 09:46 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
You know, @Wildwood commented here that he was interested in the CL ad, trying to see if the seller would part it out. I'm assuming he might be interested in talking to you about your Zeus 2000 stuff. I think he'd be wanting to put it on a recently-acquired Zeus frame. You might drop him a line

Failing that, I bet it would go for good money on Ebay. Zeus stuff - mainly the higher end, which is what we've both got - always gets attention there. I suppose part of that is its relative rarity.

I'm getting excited as heck to get this on the road; I haven't ridden Zeus 2000 since 1989.

DD
Well, you tagged Wildwood, I'll leave it to him to reach out. (thanks!)

I thought about going about the eBay route, Zeus stuff is spendy on there but not much closed out for reference, so I haven't a clue how much what I got is worth. I reckon a couple hundred, which would finally afford the Campy SR crankset and headset I've been wanting to put on my Coppi, replace the Victory group on there now.

I recently acquired a Torpado SS frame from a fellow BF'er and was also hunting black & silver Ofmega/Gipiemme crankset for it, already got the rest of what I need. I felt a little weird about dropping a z2k group on the Torpado, but the more I think about it, the more I'm loving the idea and I think the black/silver would really pop with the all-black decals and its OEM group was sorta cobbled together anyway.

I'm sure I'd have a hell of a time trying to find another rear z2k1 rear caliper though... Sad the guy didn't have the original.
Old 05-01-17, 10:47 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Mike Howard would be the best guy to ask about that. As I understand it, use of the Rexart dropouts was minimal. Maybe there were production delays or they weren't strong enough? Someone over on the Classic Rendezvous list probably has either a Medici with the Rexart dropouts or a sample of them. I've never seen a Medici frame with them. All that are identified in my spreadsheet show Campagnolo. OTOH, looking through old emails, @bibliobob's Counterfente might have Rexart dropouts.

Here's a Flickr album showing John Pergolizzi's Confente 012:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/261050...7629978889162/

Note the Rexart slotted dropouts and the Portacatena system.
I'm out of town for a couple weeks, but this might help? I'll have to wait until I home to take better photos and confirme details...

https://goo.gl/photos/qN1xuyATwp8ZCjxj7

https://plus.google.com/photos/10702...CKikpfDXxrCgMw

Cheers,
Bob
Old 05-01-17, 11:02 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by bibliobob
I'm out of town for a couple weeks, but this might help? I'll have to wait until I home to take better photos and confirme details...

https://goo.gl/photos/qN1xuyATwp8ZCjxj7

Cheers,
Bob
Those do quite nicely to show off a neatly-appointed frameset. Niiiiice

I think I'm making out a half-circle slotting at the back of the dropout; again, similar to a treatment I've seen pics of on early Richard Sachs frames.

Is that beauty built into a bike now? If not, it sure deserves to be!

DD
Old 05-01-17, 11:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Mike Howard would be the best guy to ask about that. As I understand it, use of the Rexart dropouts was minimal. Maybe there were production delays or they weren't strong enough? Someone over on the Classic Rendezvous list probably has either a Medici with the Rexart dropouts or a sample of them. I've never seen a Medici frame with them. All that are identified in my spreadsheet show Campagnolo. OTOH, looking through old emails, @bibliobob's Counterfente might have Rexart dropouts.

Here's a Flickr album showing John Pergolizzi's Confente 012:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/261050...7629978889162/

Note the Rexart slotted dropouts and the Portacatena system.
I really don't think those are Rexart dropouts, they are short Campagnolo units with milling.
Rexart was A Bill Recht company, Mario would be the last guy in the world to use a Rexart product after he left LA.
The leading 0 indicates Northern California fabrication.

Now, as Medici "inherited" much of what Mario left behind when he was locked out, Medicis wearing milled dropouts could well be from Mario's old inventory. Note the yellow pro-strada with the black drop shadow, the Confente configuration, earlier Medici graphics production inverted the colors, black text, yellow drop shadow. After Mario was gone, anything could have happened, including liberating Mario's original color configuration and using his stock up.
Part of the beef was that was part of the graphics package done for Mario before he departed Masi, medici's use of it was not sanctioned. It was part of the Recht plan where Medici would be a subordinate brand to Confente, want to carry Confente? Order a bunch of Medicis first, and continue to for access to Confente bikes.
Old 05-02-17, 06:54 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
DD, I took some decent light, and a stronger pair of bifocal, to the shop last night, sure enough the shield is there on the head tube decal. So, it seems that that the '78 is wrong on my part and its maybe an '80, based on you guys' research. One thing though, looking at the old catalogue scans, it shows the stars added to the down tube logos in the full side view picture. Mine lacks these stars, it has the old style block lettering, yellow with black shading. I suppose that the dark metallic green I have is their Sea Green listing perhaps. Anyone have any idea about this?

My head hurts now, too much changing in a short period, my life is in a shambles and the big 40th birthday party for the Medici is now on hold for at least 2 years. Aw heck, I didn't need to spend a wad on the party and booking a band anyway. Its nice to have some clarification on things, back to my catalogue scans for Medicis.

The yellow cable housing goes in todays mail, the stem bolt was processed yesterday afternoon. No need to send any of the black housing, I have a lot of extra housing already, but thanks for your kind offer.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-02-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-02-17, 07:54 AM
e-RICHIE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts
Drillium Dude - The cable guides, the ones that are tight or appear smaller, were made for Elephant (brand) housing which was, in the day, an off brand that somehow made its way into some pro level bicycles. The Jasik headset also fell into this category. Neither of these items ever made it from the margins into the mainstream.
Old 05-02-17, 08:48 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 1,396 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
DD, I took some decent light, and a stronger pair of bifocal, to the shop last night, sure enough the shield is there on the head tube decal. So, it seems that that the '78 is wrong on my part and its maybe an '80, based on you guys' research. One thing though, looking at the old catalogue scans, it shows the stars added to the down tube logos in the full side view picture.
I recall a note from Mike Howard a couple years ago where he indicated the decal transition wasn't a sharp change from one style to the next. Like many custom builders, I suspect they used what was on hand, and probably acceded to a buyer's wishes if they could.
Old 05-02-17, 10:40 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
Drillium Dude - The cable guides, the ones that are tight or appear smaller, were made for Elephant (brand) housing which was, in the day, an off brand that somehow made its way into some pro level bicycles. The Jasik headset also fell into this category. Neither of these items ever made it from the margins into the mainstream.
Thanks Richard - I've always wondered about that. Interesting. One would think he would base them off the standard of the day vice an off-brand, but there you go.

Another neat tidbit of bicycle lore

DD
Old 05-02-17, 10:52 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

DD, I took some decent light, and a stronger pair of bifocal, to the shop last night, sure enough the shield is there on the head tube decal. So, it seems that that the '78 is wrong on my part and its maybe an '80, based on you guys' research. One thing though, looking at the old catalogue scans, it shows the stars added to the down tube logos in the full side view picture. Mine lacks these stars, it has the old style block lettering, yellow with black shading. I suppose that the dark metallic green I have is their Sea Green listing perhaps. Anyone have any idea about this?

My head hurts now, too much changing in a short period, my life is in a shambles and the big 40th birthday party for the Medici is now on hold for at least 2 years. Aw heck, I didn't need to spend a wad on the party and booking a band anyway. Its nice to have some clarification on things, back to my catalogue scans for Medicis.

The yellow cable housing goes in todays mail, the stem bolt was processed yesterday afternoon. No need to send any of the black housing, I have a lot of extra housing already, but thanks for your kind offer.

Bill
You know, I noticed something else in relation to the decals: in every ad or brochure I've ever seen, the lion is facing to the left. Every lion decal on the actual framesets faces to the right.

I wonder if that's something to do with graphic art presentation. Sorta like the VHS box art for Breaking Away where the presentation was to show Dave going from left to right. They took a still from the semi drafting scene for the art and they flipped it - note in the pic below the drivetrain is on the wrong side! I've heard this was done to conform to a certain aesthetic:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news regarding the cancellation of the big four-oh party

I am assuming yours is still an early frame because of the diamond cutouts and the top-of-BB shell cable guides. Maybe early in 1980. We're sure it's original, and knowing that, it can't be a '78 or '79 because the green wasn't available then - and those Worlds bands were second-generation decals. It doesn't make the frame any less valuable/cool, tho - it's still an early serial number IMHO. Built within the first three years? Early frame in my book. Not that that matters as much to you, of course!

Anxiously awaiting the bolt and cable housing. I'll drop you a line as soon as they are here.

DD
Old 05-02-17, 10:57 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I recall a note from Mike Howard a couple years ago where he indicated the decal transition wasn't a sharp change from one style to the next. Like many custom builders, I suspect they used what was on hand, and probably acceded to a buyer's wishes if they could.
Sure, I would've used up the old stock along with the new, and maybe a few frames ended up with a mix. I was confused when I saw the stars-and-bars on the seat tube on this one until I cracked open the brochure and saw the pics. The brochure also has a line specifically detailing the decals put on the frame, which I thought was really neat.

I wonder who won a World Championship on a Medici (or if anyone did). It's always been my understanding that the rainbow bands were for the exclusive use of those builders who provided the winning chassis to World Champions.

Then again, knowing the sordid Medici history, that might not have mattered one whit to them

DD
Old 05-02-17, 11:17 AM
e-RICHIE

Thanks Richard - I've always wondered about that. Interesting. One would think he would base them off the standard of the day vice an off-brand, but there you go.

Another neat tidbit of bicycle lore

DD
It wasn't weird then if you were there. Many were beginning to incorporate small parts from unconventional supply chains as ways to make bicycles lighter or simply to distinguish them. Remember, this was an era when it was still Campagnolo only. To add an alloy or Ti piece from Omas or Arnold Industries, or that Jasik lower headset, or a Phil bracket assembly - these were some of the few choices makers had to experiment or maybe to simply differentiate from those using box stock Nuovo Record and Super Record groups.
Old 05-02-17, 11:23 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
It wasn't weird then if you were there. Many were beginning to incorporate small parts from unconventional supply chains as ways to make bicycles lighter or simply to distinguish them. Remember, this was an era when it was still Campagnolo only. To add an alloy or Ti piece from Omas or Arnold Industries, or that Jasik lower headset, or a Phil bracket assembly - these were some of the few choices makers had to experiment or maybe to simply differentiate from those using box stock Nuovo Record and Super Record groups.
I see what you mean. I mean, I was around then, but not in the industry, and I certainly couldn't afford high-end bikes/components at that time.

I do recall being at a race as a spectator in 1980 and seeing a guy with a Rigi sporting a PMP crankset. That blew my mind, but I also remember thinking "is that going to be around in a couple years or is it a fad?".

We know the answer now

DD
Old 05-02-17, 11:34 AM
repechage

Sure, I would've used up the old stock along with the new, and maybe a few frames ended up with a mix. I was confused when I saw the stars-and-bars on the seat tube on this one until I cracked open the brochure and saw the pics. The brochure also has a line specifically detailing the decals put on the frame, which I thought was really neat.

I wonder who won a World Championship on a Medici (or if anyone did). It's always been my understanding that the rainbow bands were for the exclusive use of those builders who provided the winning chassis to World Champions.

Then again, knowing the sordid Medici history, that might not have mattered one whit to them

DD
My Medici has World Champ Like bands on the seat tube, wrong progression
black red blue yellow green, with a black keyline between some too.
World champ jersey color bands are Blue, red, black, yellow, green, no key lines, no gaps.
Close, but not exact. Let's be generous and call it world champ tribute, or internationale.
Old 05-02-17, 01:03 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Those WC bands probably get misused and abused more than any other graphic on bicycles. Some manufacturers are really stretching to put them on, and many just use them because they eant the percieved cache' they believe those rmblems impart. It seems that they are like commendations for little league players now, everyone gets a trophy regardless.

I am not disappointed at all, no investment in it being a 78 model here. I went by what DD had found on his original Medici Pro Strada thread, here. He and I had discussed this and it pretty much was just a consensus about the year it was built. It is special to me regardless, this frame set came to me from Jeff, and it isn't going anywhere.

I asked many questions of one of our council of learned elders with great in-depth knowledge about the Medici's history. What we are learning here jibes with his input to me earlier this year. The graphics questions are things I have previously read about and I should remember how much inner turmoil and back stage mechanations were happening there in the mid-70s regarding Mario's property and his designs.

I'm certain y'all get tired of me posting about it, apologies for that faux pas, but if any of you had been in Boston Saturday a week past, you would have seen a very proud Medici owner that received some nice compliments from several riders, some outside of our group also.

DD, both parcels are in the hands of USPS now. I hope that these items fill the bill and are adequate for your personal standards. Should anything be incorrect for the newest member of uour rolling harum just psss it slong to a worthy chap ease. The first report of her shake down cruise is now anxiously awaited.

Sorry for the long dialogue too.

Last edited by qcpmsame; 05-02-17 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-02-17, 01:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
Great score! That is a beautiful bike and the Zeus group is very eye catching. I was tempted but it was just too small. I always kind of wanted to try one of those. I think it is a little odd you don't see more since the YUGE, (trump's word) L.A. Sheriff's team/club used them for a few years.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-02-17, 04:22 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
This is a nice Medici thread.
I have always thought my seatstays were oversized but it is never mentioned on the www. . Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I'm the second owner. O. O. had it repainted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1673.jpg (88.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 05-02-17, 04:33 PM
repechage

I would not consider them oversize, just by order choice or what was on hand.
The tubing could be ordered in qty with decent specification, the single box tube kits that some shops sold back then were spec'd if at all beyond gauge and size range, by what was sent. The pre sorted boxed kits came in A, B, C size ranges, A being for smaller frames, the tubing gauge was rubber stamped marked on the end of the box - for example: SL, SP, PL, PS.
I saw kits with double taper seat stays, but no special marking on the box end… so it goes.
Old 05-02-17, 06:16 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Those do quite nicely to show off a neatly-appointed frameset. Niiiiice

I think I'm making out a half-circle slotting at the back of the dropout; again, similar to a treatment I've seen pics of on early Richard Sachs frames.

Is that beauty built into a bike now? If not, it sure deserves to be!

DD
Yes, it is! But, I don't seem to have any photos handy and am out of town for the next couple weeks. I'll try and snap some.

But, I need to rebuild it at some point. I worked with Gus Salmon to make some really nice reproduction decals that would also memorialize that it's a counterfeit The icing on the cake might be if I could lure you out of retirement to do some faux drillium! There could be some fun ways to pay homage, have a little fun, and also document that it's a faux Confente...
Old 05-02-17, 06:17 PM
e-RICHIE

Originally Posted by Classtime
I have always thought my seatstays were oversized but it is never mentioned on the www. . Are my eyes playing tricks on me? I'm the second owner. O. O. had it repainted.
Those are 16mm seat stays, and a normal shape. I've never known Medici frames to have anything except conical stays. There were 14mm on the smaller units, and 16mm on the taller ones.
Old 05-02-17, 06:28 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
People gave me guff for taking the pictures with the scissors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
M1.jpg (99.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 05-02-17, 06:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by repechage
My Medici has World Champ Like bands on the seat tube, wrong progression
black red blue yellow green, with a black keyline between some too.
World champ jersey color bands are Blue, red, black, yellow, green, no key lines, no gaps.
Close, but not exact. Let's be generous and call it world champ tribute, or internationale.
Ah, yes - upon review I see the order is not correct. Sneaky

Tribute, then; I can get behind that.

DD
Old 05-02-17, 06:39 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Those WC bands probably get misused and abused more than any other graphic on bicycles. Some manufacturers are really stretching to put them on, and many just use them because they eant the percieved cache' they believe those rmblems impart. It seems that they are like commendations for little league players now, everyone gets a trophy regardless.
I tend to agree, and changing up the order is a good way to get around it. I will have to review some other "suspect" builders' color order. Maybe some I've always wondered about will show out-of-order colors, too.

I am really hating the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality today. I just found out one of my HS baseball coaches just got fired after more than 40 years coaching HS kids because he "couldn't effectively communicate with Millennials", according to the principal. He was honored just this past year for his contributions over those same 40 years. Smh...

DD
Old 05-02-17, 06:42 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Great score! That is a beautiful bike and the Zeus group is very eye catching. I was tempted but it was just too small. I always kind of wanted to try one of those. I think it is a little odd you don't see more since the YUGE, (trump's word) L.A. Sheriff's team/club used them for a few years.
Thanks BG! I do love this Zeus stuff, it really does have an interesting look and seems as though it'll perform well, too. I'm really itching to get it on the road.

YUGE - yup, you nailed that one @qcpmsame's Medici may well have been one of the LA Sheriff Team bikes from what I understand.

DD
Old 05-02-17, 06:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Classtime
Thank you! Wish I had some fully-built pics to share, but it will be a few more days until I have the parts to finish.

I wonder what kind of draw was done on the stays, too. They are the fattest (at least at the top) of any bike I own. It's obvious when you see that huge spoon-like cap (easily the nicest frame feature - the edges are like knife blades).

Nice to see a white example. A repaint, you say? I'm the second owner of this one, too

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.