Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frames and Framebuilding (1987) The American Handbuilt Frame -- David Tesch

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 02:36 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

Includes a review of the Tesch 101.

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 05-24-23, 08:49 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Interesting to see young Peter Weigle and Angel Rodriguez. Are there any other Specialized ads that feature cycling personalities in the issue?
Old 05-24-23, 09:14 AM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,431 Times in 174 Posts
Great story! I met Dave when he came to San Marcos, we became good friends. What a character! They don't make'em like that anymore. The story mentions Dave was in the Navy, but doesn't say what he was doing. He worked as a machinist on missions onboard a nuclear Boomer submarine. This job requires someone who has all around fabrication skills. Dave was that kind of guy, and was a very good at brazing. I'm the one who put together the project of using his shop to make the top model 1987 Allez frames for Specialized. That worked out very nicely. Here is an amazing story from the New Yorker Magazine that starts out in Dave's frame shop, long but worth reading. It explains the start of his frame building downfall:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...usp=share_link

Dave ended up moving back to Wisconson and worked as a auto mechanic. I kept in touch with him until he passed away in 2003, way too young at 44 years of age. Here is a link to Dave Moulton's blog:

Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog - David Tesch

The OP also shows some Specialized tire ads that are great!

Jim Merz

Last edited by Portlandjim; 05-24-23 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-24-23, 10:30 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
This article is refreshing to read.

I've never met the man, but speaking with some of the other California Masi members that are still around, they seem to talk more about his overly exorbitant people (sales) skills and less about his frame building abilities. Nothing was mean spirited, maybe more of an age-gap amongst the guys with huge egos, and no matter what, he would always be "the kid."

After a great chat with Ted Kirkbride, I was reminded of a favorite quote from John Lennon who when once asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world.

"He's not even the best drummer in the band!!"

Kirkbride told me, "Tesch wasn't the best frame builder, but he was the loudest."

I'm glad to read a different perspective based on his engineering skillset. (and I'm mad I didn't buy that 101 advertised in Aberdeen WA in my size)
Old 05-24-23, 11:35 AM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
It is worthwhile to read Dave Moulton’s blog piece about Dave Tesch to get a framebuilder’s perspective of Dave’s abilities. Jim Merz posted a comment there and I also added a bit about my Reynolds 753 Tesch Model 100.
Old 05-24-23, 11:40 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Those ads are incredible. Too bad they're Specialized, but still they're super cool.
Old 05-24-23, 12:03 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

And the problem with Specialized is what? Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 05-24-23, 12:23 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Interesting to see young Peter Weigle and Angel Rodriguez. Are there any other Specialized ads that feature cycling personalities in the issue?
One tiny correction, Rodriguez and Erickson's shop was R+E, not R&E. Common mistake.
Old 05-24-23, 12:28 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by Robvolz
Kirkbride told me, "Tesch wasn't the best frame builder, but he was the loudest."
That's rich. Kirkbride was barely a framebuilder at all.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 05-24-23, 12:33 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
After a great chat with Ted Kirkbride, I was reminded of a favorite quote from John Lennon who when once asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world.

"He's not even the best drummer in the band!!"
Sorry for the digression from the topic of this terrific thread, but:

The correct quote is, "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"

But it wasn't said by John Lennon, who had been dead for three years when the British comedian Jasper Carrott first used the line (which he got from a comedy writer whose name escapes me at the moment).

The idea that Lennon would have said it makes such delicious celebrity gossip that there are undoubtedly people who still refuse to believe that Lennon never said it, in spite of ample evidence proving otherwise.

In any event, John, Paul, and George all recruited Ringo at one time or another to drum for them on their solo albums, and all praised his drumming in interviews over the years.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-24-23, 12:47 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Those ads are incredible. Too bad they're Specialized, but still they're super cool.
yeah! in those times the Specialized Turbo was about the best you could get !

in fact the current issue Turbo Cotton is a damn good tire.

why the hate for Specialized. ?

/markp
Old 05-24-23, 01:00 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by mpetry912
yeah! in those times the Specialized Turbo was about the best you could get !

in fact the current issue Turbo Cotton is a damn good tire.

why the hate for Specialized. ?

/markp
I'm not one of the haters, but I know Big S lost some good will when they sued Roubaix Cafe for using the name of a French city that they thought they owned.

I did a (possibly useless) A/B comparison between cheap tubulars and Turbo VS clinchers, the ones with cotton and kevlar threads in the casing. I raced a weekly series held at a local car-racing track, and alternated between my tubs and my Turbo wheels. Same course but a week apart. I couldn't tell any difference except under the hardest cornering, the Turbo felt a little more confidence-inspiring. You don't know whether a tire will slip until it does, and then you're likely to fall down. I never fell down, so I guess I never exceeded the cornering ability of either of the tires, but the cheap Vittorias I was using made a sound I didn't like when near the max G I could achieve on the tightest corner. It wasn't very tight, but there was a hill and the speed on one of the turns was reasonably high.

Anyway like I said this test is possibly useless, but it confirmed for me that the VS tire was good enough for me. I seldom had two dimes to rub together so I almost never had high-grade tubulars on my race bike. I have raced on silk Del Mondos, but never compared them directly to clinchers on the same course. Of course the only time I could afford top grade silks was when I pulled one out of the trash at the bike shop, when some well-heeled customer threw one away with plenty of life still in it, because he couldn't be bothered fixing a flat. I got a lot of tires that way!

Anyway, I don't know if there were any better tires at the time, but Turbo VS was pretty excellent. Just too narrow!

Mark B
Old 05-24-23, 01:12 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
thanks for that insite Mark ! I would think that the limiting case on tubular tires would be glue adhesion rather than than the grip afforded by the contact patch.f

I'm reminded of an Avocet ad from sometime in this era.

but those Turbo tires were unbeatable in the day and they were much less fragile than tubulars.

Anyway we now return to our reguarly scheduled topic. No need to adjust your set. or your rabbit ears.

/markp.
Old 05-24-23, 01:17 PM
Portlandjim

Mark's comments about the Turbo VS. I came up with the idea of using Kevlar fibers in the casing for these tires. It was a long learning curve to perfect this, we even had to make a custom made casing fabric machine for instance. They were excellent tires.

If I'm going to get insulted on here I will clam up.

Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:
Old 05-24-23, 01:36 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I also liked the advertisements. I believe I still have some of the Specialized Turbos out in the garage. They were great tires. Their existence allowed me to swear off tubulars and not give up anything.
Old 05-24-23, 01:37 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Back on topic, why did David Tesch die so young?
Old 05-24-23, 02:03 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Back on topic, why did David Tesch die so young?
Accord to his sister, he died of a brain tumor, specifically Glioblastoma Multiforme. Found in the comments of Dave Moulton's article on Dave Tesch.
Old 05-24-23, 02:19 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Originally Posted by bulgie
That's rich. Kirkbride was barely a framebuilder at all.
Edit:
You have to consider Ted Kirkbrides comment saying Tesch was not the best frame builder in context, which at the time was comparing him to in house artisans Brian Baylis, Mario Confente and Dave Moulton. Hard to break in that lineup.

My understanding was that Ted Kirkbride had the building where Masi was housed with Dave Moulton, Brian Baylis and CyclArt as tenants earlier in their respective careers.
In my visits to Masi it usually was to see Dave Tesch and Brian Baylis as the shop I worked at sold their custom frames. We also sold Masi which didn’t require the same degree of in process attention that a built to order frame did.
I had first met Ted Kirkbride around 1973-4, when he was involved in getting the San Diego Velodrome approved and built. He asked Chuck Pranke, who had successfully promoted two Grand Prix of the United States at Encino Velodrome and was conducting weekly events there, for assistance in facility design and promoting the new velodrome. Chuck asked me to come along to act as backup to make sure he didn’t overlook something.
Although I can’t remember seeing him doing much in the shop, Ted was always friendly and an enthusiastic advocate for Masi.

Last edited by stoneageyosh; 05-24-23 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-24-23, 02:36 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I seldom had two dimes to rub together so I almost never had high-grade tubulars on my race bike.
(nods in CyclePro 240 gram)
Old 05-24-23, 02:42 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
My visit with Ted was charming. He has nothing but love for all the guys that worked there.

I didn't think of it as an insult at all. More of a "GODDAMM that kid was LOUD!!"
Old 05-24-23, 06:09 PM
stoneageyosh

I didn't think of it as an insult at all. More of a "GODDAMM that kid was LOUD!!"

Correctomundo! Dave was as loud as he was enthusiastic about virtually everything he did. Even some of the questionable projects such as his messing with a sad green Mercury Comet referred to as the “vomit” for good reason.
The first time I met him was when he came up to Marina Del Rey Bike to recruit a shop in the area. He was slow and soft spoken as we talked with him. Probably because he didn’t know us. He liked how we measured and fitted riders and that the shop owner was a pro bike, hmmm gourmand(?). Ended up ordering a Model 100 which didn’t take long to sell as the first of a handful of Model 100s built to order and even more Model 101s as he got them going.
Used to see him at his shop to see what he was up to and also say hello to Brian Baylis who had his shop across the parking lot at the time. Those were always interestingly educational if not entertaining trips.
Old 05-24-23, 10:18 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
p.32 is missing. What, am I the only one who actually read the articles?
Old 05-25-23, 12:01 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Very intresting article and thanks for sharingNiceto see Specialized tires ads, even by today standards the Specialized Turbo are a must have tire and a solid reference on the market.
Old 05-25-23, 04:53 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
No. That was it, there ain't no mo'.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
p.32 is missing. What, am I the only one who actually read the articles?
Page 32 is a full-page ad for Gatorade.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 05-25-23, 07:32 AM
Portlandjim

Icemilkcoffee was referring to the New Yorker story I believe. I have a PDF link that I should have posted, it includes the illustrations and I think it's all there:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QaB...ew?usp=sharing

Jim Merz
Likes For Portlandjim:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.