Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flats during rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Punctured tubes
Patch on side of the road
10.99%
Replace tube
70.33%
What are tubes?
15.38%
I Like bacon and scrapple
3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Flats during rides

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-23, 10:58 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I have only had one flat within last 10 years on my road bike, and that was on my commute to work. Hit a staple on the shoulder. Running Gator Hardshells. I changed the tube, as I always carry a spare tube, a patch kit, three CO2 cartridges, and a spare tire. Friendly reminder to check your patch kit yearly, the rubber cement goes bad.
Old 11-20-23, 05:20 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Gonna try to patch the TPU tube at home. Yesterday:
Old 11-20-23, 07:08 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Gonna try to patch the TPU tube at home. Yesterday:
I have patched my TPU 3X now. use rubbing alcohol to clean the area really good and let it dry and don't touch the area with your fingers. I then use a socket to roll over the patch and so far so good.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-20-23, 10:12 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I carry one new/spare tube, some “Scab” patches, two CO2 cartridges, and a pump. First flat, tube is replaced. If there is a second flat, depending on my situation…location, distance from home, time of day, weather, etc…I may patch the tube and continue. Or, I may call for a pickup.
There have been occasions when I’ve given my one spare tube away to another stranded cyclist I happen upon. And then…flatted myself later in my ride.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 11-20-23 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-20-23, 11:33 AM
ImJackson

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a proponent of flat prevention. Specialized Armadillos
Old 11-20-23, 02:09 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
QUOTE=rsbob;23076761]If I got 8 flats on one ride, I would probably find another sport. [/QUOTE]

Ha! I'd have abandoned the sport almost four decades ago if I followed this rule. Think I might have the world record...

Riding my mountain bike on the American River Trail outside of Sacramento in the late 80's with the GF on her road bike, I decide it would be fun to venture off the pavement and through the dirt for some fun. I go for a little dirt and then return to the pavement. "Hmm, this is strange, why is it still SO BUMPY?" I look down in horror to see I'm RIDING ON GOAT HEADS! HUNDREDS STUCK IN EACH TIRE! Not gonna ride away from THIS disaster!

Goat heads in CA and the Central Valley in particular are BRUTAL! This alone justifies tubeless mountain bike tires today, for sure.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 11-21-23, 07:28 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
QUOTE=rsbob;23076761]If I got 8 flats on one ride, I would probably find another sport.
Ha! I'd have abandoned the sport almost four decades ago if I followed this rule. Think I might have the world record...

Riding my mountain bike on the American River Trail outside of Sacramento in the late 80's with the GF on her road bike, I decide it would be fun to venture off the pavement and through the dirt for some fun. I go for a little dirt and then return to the pavement. "Hmm, this is strange, why is it still SO BUMPY?" I look down in horror to see I'm RIDING ON GOAT HEADS! HUNDREDS STUCK IN EACH TIRE! Not gonna ride away from THIS disaster!

Goat heads in CA and the Central Valley in particular are BRUTAL! This alone justifies tubeless mountain bike tires today, for sure.[/QUOTE]

Goat heads are no joke. I've flatted my road bike before, just pulling off to the shoulder to take a piss.

I went tubeless in the MTBs years ago, there really aren't many reasons not to go that route on a mtb. Even on my lightweight XC tires, they'll be covered in goat heads, but no loss of air. The only tubeless related issue I've run into, is that I've burped my tires in races. Not total flats, but they suddenly went soft on impacts...it wasn't your normal impact, but me hammering through rocks. I'm still not complaining, as tubes would've likely pinch-flatted in that scenario. At least with the tubeless, I could still ride it and/or just add air.