Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Endplay

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom Bracket Endplay

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-23, 01:03 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Bottom Bracket Endplay

Typically I can figure things like this out by myself, but this time I'm stumped.
This is on a weird named ebike modeled after a Super 73.

Too much endplay in the bottom bracket. Crank arms are removed, but chainring doesnt come off with the crank arm like typical construction. All that was on the square between the arm and the ring was an o-ring. I can remove the "cup" on the left side, but that doesnt seem to help me any.

Whats the secret for chainring removal? And further is there a secret to fixing the endplay other than shims?

-SP

PS- Pics look kinda big uploaded here. Is there a certain size to make them so they fit the screen OK?

Old 12-26-23, 01:15 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
The rings aren't on the crank because they are attracted directly to the motor. Sure you know what you're getting into?
Old 12-26-23, 02:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Why do you think there's too much end play in the BB? It could be that this motorized BB/crank needs that end play to function well (like some IGHs want a tad loose bearing setting too).

I'll also add that after the sale support can be lacking with some E bike brands, especially those sold via the interweb. Generally the motor is not made by the bike brand and sometimes the motor company has some tech support. We don't even know the motor brand yet...

I save the photo to my "pictures" folder using the photo app that was on my computer (Windows 10) to reduce the image size before loading it onto any email or forum posting. Makes for faster opening up for the recipient. Andy
Old 12-26-23, 04:13 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Sigh. This is NOT a mid drive!!!

And yes, I do know what I'm getting into, I just havent seen these pieces on an ebike before. I know the style of holders are on other bikes, but they are usually a through axle. Not the case here.

Andrew- Yes, I am all too aware of the poor support of any off brand bicycle product! Thats why I'm asking YOU! I thought you would have an answer since I see many of your posts with good answers.

I resize images so they wont take over a page or take hours to load. Just wondering if there was a good size so the forum software doesnt have to resize. Last time I put up pics it was through photobucket. (yeah, its been a while! )

-SP
Old 12-26-23, 10:28 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
Sigh. This is NOT a mid drive!!!

And yes, I do know what I'm getting into, I just havent seen these pieces on an ebike before. I know the style of holders are on other bikes, but they are usually a through axle. Not the case here.

Andrew- Yes, I am all too aware of the poor support of any off brand bicycle product! Thats why I'm asking YOU! I thought you would have an answer since I see many of your posts with good answers.

I resize images so they wont take over a page or take hours to load. Just wondering if there was a good size so the forum software doesnt have to resize. Last time I put up pics it was through photobucket. (yeah, its been a while! )

-SP
It's an unusual configuration that I'm certainly not familiar with it. Almost makes me think there's a freewheel on the crank. But that would only make sense if the rear motor is direct drive, single speed, with no freewheel. Either way it looks like there are either one or two lock rings that need to come off - the larger outer one or the smaller "flat" one closer to the axle. Hopefully someone will come along who recognizes it. Give it some time.

As for picture size, I've been sizing to 1500 along the longest dimension and letting the shorter side size proportionally. Most people these days have monitors that can deal with that I think. Nobody has complained.

You might add a few shots from further away and from the other side that could add some perspective on the whole assembly. More of the "big picture" so to speak.
Old 12-27-23, 07:56 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-27-23, 09:37 AM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
^^^^^^^------------------- Sorry. Wasn't paying close attention. The second, lower picture is from the other (left) side. If you take that apart, can you extract the crank spindle through the bottom bracket? If you have the spindle with chainring in hand, you may be able to discover more. Other than that, It looks like the ring with the indents on the chainring side could be a lockring. But you might bugger it up trying to remove it if you don't have the correct tool. Can you confirm that there is no freewheel on the crank?
Old 12-27-23, 01:42 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
you're going to need the spline tool that fits the pic dedhed shared above.

I speculate that you are going to find "sealed" bearings in the BB and the endfloat adjustment - if there is any - will be by adding shims.

Get it too tight and you have friction or binding, take it apart again !

how much endfloat are you seeing ? more than a mm ?

if it's a "super 73" that's one of those cross over e-bicycles / motocycles, right ?

/markp