Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me identify this Peugeot bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 01:04 PM
dieterpi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

My dad gave me his old Peugeot bike, which I'm trying to restore. It was covered in grease, grime and dirt. The shifting was suffering, the front chainring was loose, etc... Also, some rust was appearing.

I stripped this bike apart, and have started the clean and rebuild. It would be nice to figure out what kind of Peugeot bike this is. Can anyone help?

Here is a list of the parts I've stripped to polish and clean: (I should have taken a picture of the *before* state...)
  • Carbolite 103 frame
  • It won't be a high-end frame, since the cranks were cottered. Original crankset: Nervar 170mm Crankset 52/42t
  • Atax stem
  • Weinmann double lever brakes
  • Mafac center pull brakes
  • Simplex derailleur front (SA series?) and back (SX100?)
  • Cyclo 72 5-speed freewheel (with a *dork* disc)
  • Normandy hubs and Super Champion rims
  • 700c tires
  • Sakae/Ringyo SP-550 (black) pedals

I've been looking at Cycles Rétro-Peugeot but can't seem to find the model. I think it's from the early 80's. UO6 Sport? (seems close, but doesn't have cottered cranks)

Frame: (I think the colour is pearl-beige ?)

Sport frame?

Some sort of housing on the seat stay?

Old 08-03-19, 01:23 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
If it's Carbolite 103 and lugged, it's a U-series frameset. The same frameset was used to create several models but the Sport designation was typically used on the UO8. Still, I can't recall seeing that particular fitting on the seat stay. It appears to be a later version of the generator mount, as I see the tabs under the down tube for a lighting harness. Offhand, I don't recall any USA models with factory lighting systems during the era indicated by the decals. Are you by any chance outside the USA? Serial number? The top and down tubes appear to bent in the area immediately behind the head lugs.
Old 08-03-19, 01:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Have you replaced the bottom bracket? That's not a cottered spindle. Cottered spindles were common on earlier era Peugeots (like the UO 8) but the graphics on this look later. Are the wheels original? Are the superchampion rims alloy or steel?

This is going to be a really nice bike when you are finished,

I was going to ask the same question as T Mar whether the bike is a European model.
Old 08-03-19, 01:37 PM
dieterpi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Still, I can't recall seeing that particular fitting on the seat stay. It appears to be a later version of the generator mount, as I see the tabs under the down tube for a lighting harness. Off hand, I don';t recall any USA models with factory lighting systems during the era indicated by the decals. Are you by any chance outside the USA? Serial number? The top and down tubes appear to bent in the area immediately behind the head lugs.
I'm from Belgium. There are indeed tabs under the down tube.
There seems to be something stamped on the rear dropouts. However the serial number (?) is not damaged due to tighting the wheel with winged nuts. "BI..?"
What do you mean with the top and down tubs bent behind the head lugs?
Old 08-03-19, 01:41 PM
dieterpi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Have you replaced the bottom bracket? That's not a cottered spindle. Cottered spindles were common on earlier era Peugeots (like the UO 8) but the graphics on this look later. Are the wheels original? Are the superchampion rims alloy or steel?

This is going to be a really nice bike when you are finished,

I was going to ask the same question as T Mar whether the bike is a European model.
I tried replacing the bottom bracket, here's a picture of the original cottered cranks (the stuck cotter pin and dirt ).
I think the wheels are original. I think they are alloy, since I'm able to polish them to a nice shine (?).
Old 08-03-19, 02:45 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I find this site is fairly helpful although it mostly US market Pugs, although there are European brochures, might help narrow down the year, I seem to remember that the Sport was UO-8 or UO-9 and the Course was UO-10.
Old 08-03-19, 02:45 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by dieterpi
I'm from Belgium. There are indeed tabs under the down tube.
There seems to be something stamped on the rear dropouts. However the serial number (?) is not damaged due to tighting the wheel with winged nuts. "BI..?"
What do you mean with the top and down tubs bent behind the head lugs?
French manufactured peugeot during this period had serial number formats Bymmxxxxx or Yymmxxxxx. I'm not seeing the "BI". It looks like B0 to me. If so, that means the frame was manufactured in 1980 but could be a 1980 or 1981 model. I don't know if Belgium imported French or Dutch models or had their own specifications, so all I can tell you is that it is Peugeot Sport.

When a bicycle is involved in a head-on collision, the top and down tubes often bend. This typically happens in the region immediately behind the head lugs, as this is weaker than the reinforced head lug area. When the tubes bend, they typically exhibit a rippled deformation under the tubes and the paint typically cracks or chips on the top of the tubes. In your case, the tubes look slightly bent and appear to exhibit both rippling and paint removal in the subject areas.
Old 08-03-19, 04:52 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
I have a UE-18M I built up for my niece from an Air Force retiree who purchased it in Germany and brought over to the States. It has that seat stay braze on yours has, and as you can see in this photo from when I acquired it, the dynamo is attached at that point.

Old 08-03-19, 09:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
From this period (just after 1978), the UO8 was called Sport, the UO9 was called Super Sport and the UO10 was called Course.
These names were used for only one year (1979) in the case of the lower two models.

Only the UO10 had alloy rims, and only the UO8 had steel cottered cranks. This one should have had steel Chrolux/Superchromix rims, at least if it parallels the models sent to the USA.
A Belgian model might have had alloy rims for safety though, given the generally wetter conditions and tradition of year-round riding there.

These models had greatly-revised frame geometry and lighter weight, versus any of the pre-1979 UO-series bikes.
Old 08-04-19, 03:42 PM
dieterpi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
When a bicycle is involved in a head-on collision, the top and down tubes often bend. This typically happens in the region immediately behind the head lugs, as this is weaker than the reinforced head lug area. When the tubes bend, they typically exhibit a rippled deformation under the tubes and the paint typically cracks or chips on the top of the tubes. In your case, the tubes look slightly bent and appear to exhibit both rippling and paint removal in the subject areas.
I removed the paint, because some rust was developing underneath the rippled paint. I checked the frame for these bends and indeed they are there. I guess my father crashed the bike somewhere . Thank you for spotting this, a keen eye!
Old 04-01-23, 10:28 AM
lkraav

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have this frame, in Super Sport version, imported from Netherlands.

Started looking into identification, because rear rim spoke broke and I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to repair, or find a new pair of rims.

Based on the label on bottom bracket, mine's a PX8M, 66cm height.

66cm frame for that perfect fit.

Journey started from Netherlands

Last edited by lkraav; 04-01-23 at 10:33 AM.
Likes For lkraav: