Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Raleigh Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 11:39 PM
Justamy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Raleigh Kodiak

Valuation of vintage Raleigh kodiak???
Old 10-27-23, 12:33 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Yes
Old 10-27-23, 12:38 AM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It won't let me upload any pictures until I make 10 posts I think it said so I don't know how anyone can help me if I'm not allowed to share pictures
Old 10-27-23, 03:40 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
You can put them in a gallery and ask to pretty please link them here.

In the meantime Kodiak was second from the top of Raleigh touring bikes lineup composed of the Portage, Kodiak, Alyeska, and Wyoming. I have an Alyeska, I consider it a nice sport tourer. Unfortunately they don't have the mystique of a Miyata 1000, trek 720, or centurion pro tour which affects the price.
Old 10-27-23, 06:44 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Justamy. A bike's value depends on more than the bike. Location, like what city, can and does make a huge difference in a bike's value. Your marketing skills, descriptions and pictures offered, make a big difference in a bike's value when selling. The bike's size also impacts value. And the condition of the bike, again, has tremendous on value.

Ten posts are required to prevent scamming of the Bike Forum. Though a butt pain at first, you just might like being a member of the vintage bike gang, here at BF. So, you might let us know where you live, or how you found the bike, - stuff like that. I hope you get the idea. Best of luck with your information quest. Researching old bikes can be fun.
Old 10-27-23, 06:58 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I think it’s worth about Tree Fiddy
Old 10-27-23, 07:14 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Assuming its the early to mid 80s they're nice bikes but underappreciated. In perfect shape I wouldn't expect to pay more than 200 for one and feel lucky if I sold one for that much.
Old 10-27-23, 07:29 PM
abdon 

Sadly that sounds about right. If you are an aficionado of lesser known bikes this is a great time to be alive, they are dirt cheap. By that I mean there are people dropping $700 on a Surly crosscheck for just the frame that is unlikely to be better than this (invisible) bike. Which comes with (I hope) all the parts.

I have a time capsule Univega Gran Turismo with so little wear that the original wheels still have the rubber hairs attached. I would make more money parting it than selling it complete.
Old 10-27-23, 11:37 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm in a small town in Missouri about 80 miles south of st. Louis I'm going to try and get my pictures linked
Old 10-27-23, 11:46 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How do I share the pictures in my gallery
Old 10-28-23, 02:05 AM
abdon 

Are you thinking of buying or selling?

As it stands there probably sub $100. Tires look rotted out, needs a full servicing, greasing, probably new chain, new tires, new cabling and casing. If the owner takes a few hours just to detail the bike and put tires on it, remove the ridiculous aero bar extensions, where I'm at it might hit $150~$200 in the spring. I would pick it up for $50.

It can be a super nice sports tourer bike or just general transportation bike, the geometry is very relaxed.

Old 10-28-23, 06:37 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Nice bike with a lot of potential to be great rider about $158 as is. Nice frame with good paint and canti braze on.s extras.Check too make sure the stem is OK it is way too high above safety limits big discount buying or selling a lot of Potential.

l

Last edited by zukahn1; 10-28-23 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-29-23, 01:32 AM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Nice bike with a lot of potential to be great rider about $158 as is. Nice frame with good paint and canti braze on.s extras.Check too make sure the stem is OK it is way too high above safety limits big discount buying or selling a lot of Potential.

l
what do you mean by make sure the stem is ok ?
Old 10-29-23, 02:02 AM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for y'all's responses I appreciate it. I have a bunch of other old touring bikes that I'm wanting to sell. This forums is gonna come in handy
Old 10-29-23, 03:01 AM
abdon 

You would have an easier time and get better money if you unload them in the spring time when people are beginning to dream about riding.

I think what zukahn1 meant about the stem (and the seatpost for that matter) is that if they did not go in lubricated they could be stuck in there, and I mean the equivalent of welded in place. You may want to check and see if they will come out.

Also take some time to clean the bikes. A bike that looks good will make you more money. For instance take out the ridiculous aero bar attachment, it doesn't make the bike look its best. I would also remove the plastic pedal cages, you can include them with the bike but they don't really make the bike look better on pictures. While you are at it the hex bolt on the fork just above the tire can be removed.

The bike was introduced in 1984 through either 1986 or 1987, I have never been able to find a 1987 catalog to confirm. It was the 2nd on the quality lineup, with Deore components and Dia Compe cantilever brakes as opposed to Deore XT on the Portage. Also the Portage had 650B tires, yours should have 27" tires. The Portage came with front/back racks and triple water bottles, yours has 2 water bottle spots and a bicycle stand.
Old 10-29-23, 03:52 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
You would have an easier time and get better money if you unload them in the spring time when people are beginning to dream about riding.

I think what zukahn1 meant about the stem (and the seatpost for that matter) is that if they did not go in lubricated they could be stuck in there, and I mean the equivalent of welded in place. You may want to check and see if they will come out.
zukahn1 meant that the stem is way too high---above safety limits. In other words, too little of the stem is inserted into the steerer tube for safety. The stem should have the words "Minimum Insertion" and a ring indicating that limit etched into it. The stem height should be such that the etched ring is at or below the top of the steerer and headset.
Old 10-29-23, 05:26 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Depending on the year, that Kodiak might have the Shimano Type A shifter mounts, which presents other potential issues for a potential buyer.
Old 10-29-23, 06:44 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Depending on the year, that Kodiak might have the Shimano Type A shifter mounts, which presents other potential issues for a potential buyer.
What do you mean? I have this on eBay 3 day auction one bidder it's at $150 and ends pretty soon like less than 24 hours. I came to this bike forum to make sure I wasn't ripping myself off because lack of knowledge.
Old 10-29-23, 07:02 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 182 Posts
As
Originally Posted by Justamy
What do you mean? I have this on eBay 3 day auction one bidder it's at $150 and ends pretty soon like less than 24 hours. I came to this bike forum to make sure I wasn't ripping myself off because lack of knowledge.
The issue being brought up here is that your Kodiak may have used a downtube shifter mount that was proprietary to Shimano. A lot of people here on the forum like to customize or replace bits on their bikes, and depending on the year the Kodiak was built, it may have the annoying Shimano proprietary mount. Link to thread discussing issue, or image below for reference; the red frame shows Shimano's proprietary mount, while the blue frame is the universal mount.

As to the price, well, the touring bicycle market is a bit depressed, so expect $150-$200. Good luck with the auction.

Last edited by philpeugeot; 10-29-23 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-29-23, 10:11 PM
abdon 

Originally Posted by Justamy
Not to be uncaring about it but it is more an issue to the buyer, not the seller. You are not engaging in any misrepresentation by listing the bike for sale, it is just that it could have that odd stud.

I have been the buyer in several occasions, I always blame the manufacturer for their choices :\
Old 10-30-23, 01:34 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How do I take the wheels off to ship it I think I'm doing it wrong
I uploaded a picture on my gallery for reference. Appreciate any advice I can get thank you

Last edited by Justamy; 10-30-23 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-30-23, 02:12 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Check out bikeflights.com. Usually the most affordable shipping method and they have a how-to guide. It can be an involved process to pack a bike securely, so you might consider paying a bike shop to do this if you have the budget. Though after eBay fees and packing cost you may not come out much on top.
Old 10-30-23, 02:33 PM
Justamy

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Check out bikeflights.com. Usually the most affordable shipping method and they have a how-to guide. It can be an involved process to pack a bike securely, so you might consider paying a bike shop to do this if you have the budget. Though after eBay fees and packing cost you may not come out much on top.

YeAh that'd not an option at this point. I just need to know how to take the wheels off for starters
Old 10-30-23, 05:54 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
You will most likely have to remove front wheel, stem, pedals and seatpost. To remove the wheel, open the quick release lever and the wheel drops out.

I don’t mean to be snarky, but if you don’t know how to remove the wheels you may not be equipped to properly pack a bike for shipping. I’d at least watch some YouTube videos on the subject to see what’s involved, and how to avoid damage in shipping.
Old 10-31-23, 12:28 PM
abdon 

If you are going to be listing a number of bikes chances are you are going to leave a lot of money on the table if you don't clean them and put up better pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.