Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Name all the “Death” parts….

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Name all the “Death” parts….

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 09:08 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
@Robvolz What was bad about the Cinelli mod.71 pedals? I have a set!
They were the first QR pedals.

But, if you didn't remember to bend down to pull the little plastic release (which was brittle) you were stuck in them until you fell over and the safety switch on the outside of the pedal would release you, but only after you had contact with the ground.
Old 06-15-23, 09:10 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts
[QUOTE=Hi-E skewers[/QUOTE]

What was wrong with Hi-E skewers?
Old 06-15-23, 09:56 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Late 1980's production Modolo stems. Many models, Equipe, Professional, etc..

Grafton cranks.

American Classic seat post rail clamp assembly.
Old 06-16-23, 02:02 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Apparently Hi-E made some skewers that were 100% aluminum alloy - including the skewer rods.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22526081-post65.html
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-16-23, 08:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Apparently Hi-E made some skewers that were 100% aluminum alloy - including the skewer rods.

https://www.bikeforums.net/22526081-post65.html
Yeah... aluminum wasn't the best material for the skewer rod/shaft.
I've heard a lot of folks who didn't feel that the steel skewer was a lot better, but because the one-sided wing nut didn't provide a lot of clamping force.
That's not wrong, but I've been happy enough with it for a front wheel. I don't think it fared well when used for the rear wheel.

I've got two skewers (with steel rods) for the front wheel. One uses the original one-sided wingnut, and the other has wrench flats for use on a track bike. The second one is probably safer, honestly. I still use the first one with a Hi-E hub on one of my bikes.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-16-23, 09:22 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
They were the first QR pedals.

But, if you didn't remember to bend down to pull the little plastic release (which was brittle) you were stuck in them until you fell over and the safety switch on the outside of the pedal would release you, but only after you had contact with the ground.
Thank you for clarifying. I had no idea.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-16-23, 09:48 PM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Were these prone to breaking? Genuine question, I wasn't aware.

The Retrogrouch: Suicide Components: Death By Bicycle
I haven't used Campy Record FD with 4-hole, 1978.
A friend/bike shop owner said, "I haven't used it, either. But I saw some with the cracked band. The band is too slim to tighten securely. The right torque may be too strong for that slim band"

pix from internet.

Last edited by darkmoon; 06-17-23 at 02:44 AM.
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 06-16-23, 11:49 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
Mountech RD- a very rare fail from suntour. cool design that was highly sensitive to particulate matter- and subsequently exploding. - not a great idea for a mountain bike. I suspect on a road bike it would be excellent-
Old 06-17-23, 12:22 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
Mountech RD- a very rare fail from suntour. cool design that was highly sensitive to particulate matter- and subsequently exploding. - not a great idea for a mountain bike. I suspect on a road bike it would be excellent-
I had a seized-up up Mountech I was able to rehabilitate by repeatedly flushing the problematic jockey pulley with cleaning solution. I just obtained a second one and gave it the same treatment. They both spin well now. I may install one of the Mountechs on my urban bike once the plastic cage on the existing Suntour Alpha 2000 crunches and fails.
Old 06-17-23, 02:07 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Downtube shifters.

Seriously, if you reach down and accidentally let your finger get pulled under the fork crown by the rotating tire.

A guy riding behind me did that once, and I mean ONCE. His front wheel got pushed back far enough to overlap the downtube, so the frame and/or fork (older Colnago) was pretty much toast.

Early Araya double-walled rims could be "death" rims due to their mere rounded nub serving as a bead hook. Mostly only a problem when aged tires were used, wire or folding bead, because the soft, grippy rubber along the bead edge has hardened/glazed and so doesn't settle in securely below the bead nubs. I've personally had four different tires blow off of three different Araya rims, only one was perhaps my fault since I found a crooked rim tape after the tire blew off on Mulholland Highway.

How about right crankarms from the Nuovo and Super Record era, the cracks that never stop growing.

And radial-laced front wheels, where a chunked flange means that consecutive same-side spokes all lose tension together instead of spread about the periphery of the rim.

Death brake pads, installed backwards so may eject the pad inserts during hard braking.

"Death" rim tape where the tube can bulge into the spoke nipple sockets and then rupture, due to a split in the material or due to the tape drifting off center.

Rusty "death" chains may snap at the worst possible time!

A stem that gets forced into the butted part of a relatively short steerer and then tightened becomes a "death" stem in that it may lose all attachment if it moves upward along the internal taper (which it will do) at the end of the butt.

Last edited by dddd; 06-17-23 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-17-23, 04:55 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Some interesting interpretations of "death" on this thread -- I'd be amazed, for example, if anyone ever died as a result of a cracked front derailleur. Hyperbole ... apparently it's all the rage these days!
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 06-17-23, 06:47 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
I suppose it’s a good thing if the part dies rather than the rider.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-17-23, 10:27 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I am here because after my first season of racing I vowed that { would buy and wear that goofy mushroom helmet if I raced another. i did, I was, i lived (barely). (And Sheldon heard my story. No, I don't "know" that but he hung at our shop the summer before and was close to our mechanic who hung with another mechanic at the shop I used to hang at after hours; owned by the leader of the ride I was going to when I crashed. Small world.)

I'd wondered since I bought my Lambert as a engineering sophomore how they did the blind joint between the aluminum fork crown and steel steerer. The machined plug occurred to me but I knew as a sophomore that no one would ever do that. Create a completely blind (save C-rays) stress rising machined corner of weaker aluminum the inside of a butted steerer. (I didn't even know then that steerers were butted; further reducing the outside and controlling - stress-wise - diameter of the aluminum. After my crash, I saw that Lambert did exactly that with my own eyes.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-17-23, 02:28 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by jetboy
frail!? (or fail)

Mine has survived for years and years, with no loss of function, exposed to all of the dirt and abuse that is found ... in a parts box in a closet.

yeah, I don't have the nerve to actually mount it on a bike.

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 06-17-23 at 05:15 PM.
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-17-23, 02:30 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
Second generation (first with 144mm BCD spider) Sugino Mighty Compe cranks. I snapped the left across the pedal eye on an out-of-saddle climb. My injuries were not that bad, but could have been much worse. I noticed that in the next generation version, the aluminum around the pedal eye was about 1mm thicker on both sides, about a 15% increase in thickness, and presumably in strength.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-17-23, 04:36 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
Some interesting interpretations of "death" on this thread -- I'd be amazed, for example, if anyone ever died as a result of a cracked front derailleur. Hyperbole ... apparently it's all the rage these days!
The 'hyperbole' started back in the 1970's.
C'mon you know its just a moniker attached to parts with a reputation. Doubt, if anyone actually died to any of it. Hurt or severe injured, most likely.

Originally Posted by nlerner
I suppose it’s a good thing if the part dies rather than the rider.
100x the modern day parts break vs the vintage stuff. Check our the CPSC listings. Gawd forbid Billy bike ride doesn't properly torque a screw on his modern tech bike.

-----
Anyways, a few defined vintage frames to add:
Cracked downtubes, chainstays on both-
LeMond Zurich 853
Teledyne Titan at the shifter crimp plus the forks.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 06-17-23, 05:23 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by JulesCW
Wasn't the "suicide" front derailleur more of a reference to the need to bend around (or reach low) and manipulate the lever while pedaling at the same time?
It wasn't related to the part failing as much as the odds that the rider might trip himself up while performing this maneuver.

I'm not sure how some front derailleurs ended up with this nickname and the Campy Cambio Corsa or Vittoria Margherita didn't... especially the version that didn't have the little flipper fingers that moved the chain. These early versions required the rider to reach back and move the chain with one's fingers! I wonder how many fingertips were lost during the learning process??

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-17-23, 05:42 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I am here because after my first season of racing I vowed that { would buy and wear that goofy mushroom helmet if I raced another. i did, I was, i lived (barely). (And Sheldon heard my story. No, I don't "know" that but he hung at our shop the summer before and was close to our mechanic who hung with another mechanic at the shop I used to hang at after hours; owned by the leader of the ride I was going to when I crashed. Small world.)

I'd wondered since I bought my Lambert as a engineering sophomore how they did the blind joint between the aluminum fork crown and steel steerer. The machined plug occurred to me but I knew as a sophomore that no one would ever do that. Create a completely blind (save C-rays) stress rising machined corner of weaker aluminum the inside of a butted steerer. (I didn't even know then that steerers were butted; further reducing the outside and controlling - stress-wise - diameter of the aluminum. After my crash, I saw that Lambert did exactly that with my own eyes.
Wow, what a story. Hope you fully recovered.
Old 06-17-23, 08:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I wouldn't call them a "death" component, but they were essentially light alloy wing-nuts. The rear dropout had to be modified or the QR couldn't hold the wheel securely in a horizontal dropout.
Old 06-18-23, 02:20 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Wasn't the "suicide" front derailleur more of a reference to the need to bend around (or reach low) and manipulate the lever while pedaling at the same time?
It wasn't related to the part failing as much as the odds that the rider might trip himself up while performing this maneuver.
Did you see Sep Kuss try to fix his rear derailleur while riding at the Giro this year? He wasn't pedaling while he did it, but it sure didn't look safe.

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/gi...77/video.shtml
Old 06-18-23, 05:49 AM
halb 

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
more "death"

More "death" from HiE.
I had a HiE radially spoked wheel using their proprietary rim.
A rider fell in front of me, and I hit his bike with him still attached.
My front wheel completely collapsed, my bike dropped down onto the forks.
Subsequent examination revealed about a 4" section of the rim completely severed.
And my PX10 suffered bent top and down tubes.
Peter Weigle won the race, and later pronounced my frame "dead."
The HiE hub sat in the cabinet of my LBS for years.
Old 06-18-23, 06:14 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Did you see Sep Kuss try to fix his rear derailleur while riding at the Giro this year? He wasn't pedaling while he did it, but it sure didn't look safe.

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/gi...77/video.shtml
that's impressive!
I guess that's a good reason to be doing yoga.

Steve in Peoria
Old 06-18-23, 01:26 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Sorry to break the news, but the head dead head is dead.
Sorry, I didn't know!
Old 06-18-23, 01:39 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
I would like to build a bike with all of the "death" components on it.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 06-18-23, 02:58 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I would like to build a bike with all of the "death" components on it.

/markp
Then we could hyperbolically call all the sound components 'lifesavers'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.