Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it "Stupid" to buy a lower spec bike because of color?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 03:34 PM
tai1fob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

hello all,
I like the fit of Domane AL series, and I am tore between AL4 with Tiagra in the viper red I want, or the AL5 with 105, but I am not feeling the black and green color available for the AL5.

Is it dumb to buy a bike based on color? or I shouldn't worry too much about color and just get the bike with the best group set I can afford?
Old 02-25-24, 03:50 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I don't think it's dumb to pick a bike on colour, but it wouldn't be my primary consideration. What I wouldn't do is live with a colour that I hated.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-25-24, 03:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
Yes, it's dumb to buy a lower spec bike because of the color. But, it's a sign of intelligence and sound judgement to buy a higher spec bike because of the color.
Old 02-25-24, 04:04 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, it's dumb to buy a lower spec bike because of the color. But, it's a sign of intelligence and sound judgement to buy a higher spec bike because of the color.

Lol. I might be a genius then.

I once went up a level specifically for "cool sparse spoke pattern."

It was a Cannondale R900 from the early 2000's. The model below came in the same candy apple red color, but didn't have what I thought was a cool spoke pattern at the time. Never broke a spoke despite being over 200 lbs the entire 10 years it was my primary ride.

I think I paid an extra $400 at the time to move up to it. Never regretted it. Loved the bike. I think loving what you ride is important, and color, look, are fine reasons to spend a little more to get what you really want.

Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 02-25-24, 04:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Truth.

Many years ago, when buying my first "good" bike as an adult, I had it narrowed down to two similarly-spec'd bikes: one had a gray aluminum frame, and the other had a beautiful fire engine red steel frame. The gray bike was within my price range and looked boring, while the red one was more expensive but attractive. I chose the red one, and never regretted it. As an added bonus, I later learned a bit more about frame materials and realized that my frame was made of Reynolds 853 steel, which is great stuff.

When buying a bike, I always err on the side of spending more money rather than cheaping out.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-25-24, 04:26 PM
tai1fob

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
haha, I wish that's my situation, where the AL5 is in the color I want with 105 as well.....
Old 02-25-24, 04:26 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
If you really love the red, go for it. Tiagra is still pretty decent. Parts can always be upgraded later.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 02-25-24, 04:32 PM
tai1fob

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
MaxKatt Koyote strangely, the bikes I am looking at, it's all the lower spec having the color I want. It'll be a easy choice of spending $2k with 105 and the color I want, vs $1700 with Tiagra and color I don't want. why TREK...WHYYYYY.......
Old 02-25-24, 04:33 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Is it dumb? Maybe. Should that worry you? No.

You want a bike in your garage that makes you go "phwooaar I wanna ride that today!" every time you look at it. If the other colour doesn't do that for you, then go for the one you like the most!

You can always upgrade parts later if you really want.
Old 02-25-24, 05:08 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The obvious answer is to custom build a bike with your favorite color frame and whatever level components you want... which of course should be Record/Red/Dura Ace.

Seriously though, as long as the lower spec is still "good enough" for you, I don't see the problem. Just make sure to buy a kit and helmet to match.
Old 02-25-24, 05:23 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by tai1fob
hello all,
I like the fit of Domane AL series, and I am tore between AL4 with Tiagra in the viper red I want, or the AL5 with 105, but I am not feeling the black and green color available for the AL5.

Is it dumb to buy a bike based on color? or I shouldn't worry too much about color and just get the bike with the best group set I can afford?
Buy the AL5. My daughter has it, so I have worked on it and taken it for short rides. It is a much better value than the AL4/Tiagra. (She had a different variant of the same problem -- in her case the color she wanted was too big, which is much more compelling).

If you can be completely happy with Tiagra, get the AL4. If you ever envision upgrading (105 is significantly better), get the AL5 now and a can of spray paint (if you must).

We pimped her bike out with accessories that were colored, which made the pain and trauma easier to cope with.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-25-24, 05:36 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Since you are buying the bike for your job, only the best possible components will do.

Oh, wait. You don't need a bike, and it is something you're buying for your hobby of bike riding? Maybe a bike you like the look of will be okay...
Old 02-25-24, 05:57 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Weird. In the UK you can only get the AL4 in white and the AL5 in matt black

The AL2 in “Crimson to Dark Carmine Fade” looks amazing though. But sadly only Claris.

I have bought bikes in a spec I want but colour I don’t before. They are never truly loved. I think I’d get the AL4 in your case. Modern Tiagra is decent.
Old 02-25-24, 06:07 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Can you buy the red bike and pay extra to have some components upgraded? Does Trek sell bare frames, or do you have to buy the whole bike?
Likes For bblair:
Old 02-25-24, 06:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Tiagra isn't a bad shifting group set. If you are comparing to 11 speed 105, then you won't really miss that extra gear between the high and low sprockets on the rear. So if you want the color, go for it. Save that money for your next bike so you can get up into the Ultegra stuff that will give you a lighter bike than 105 ever will. Don't get me wrong, 105 is a great group. I ran 11 speed 105 for quite a few years. But between it and Tiagra, it's only that one extra sprocket. Unless you are talking 105 Di2. That's a different consideration.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-25-24, 07:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
MaxKatt Koyote strangely, the bikes I am looking at, it's all the lower spec having the color I want. It'll be a easy choice of spending $2k with 105 and the color I want, vs $1700 with Tiagra and color I don't want. why TREK...WHYYYYY.......
I think this would be just fine

Trek Domane Crimson Red
Old 02-26-24, 06:04 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
hello all,

I'd say it's stupid to buy a bike you don't like, period. You will not like riding if you don't like the thing that's under you.
Old 02-26-24, 06:46 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Not dumb at all. Get the color you want. Maybe ask the dealer to mashup the color that you want with the gruppo that you want.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 02-26-24, 07:44 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
as long as it has disc & some critical components in carbon fiber where steel once was 'used' , it dontz mattauh.

Buy the right color & upgrade the group set ( & wheel set) before you leave the store with the N+1... Caution! The combo of purchases may result in melted credit card. Warning! Credit card may be too hot to touch!
Old 02-26-24, 07:55 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
if the preferred color motivates you to ride it more, than nope, do it. I would. Color is important to some.
Old 02-26-24, 08:16 AM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I'd say it's stupid to buy a bike you don't like, period. You will not like riding if you don't like the thing that's under you.
This
Old 02-26-24, 09:30 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
hello all,

Ok, so the difference in these bikes are...
AL5- 105 drivetrain, Bontrager centerlock hub, Bontrager Elite IsoZone bar.
AL5- Tiagra drivetrain, Formula 6bolt hub, Bontrager Comp bar.

Everything else is identical.

For $300 more, I would absolutely buy the 105 bike if these were my final two bikes to consider.
Or...I would buy the Tiagra bike, buy a 105 full drivetrain for $550 from a trusted source, and then quickly sell the unused Tiagra drivetrain for $250 on ebay. Same net cost in the end then. The differences at that point are hubs that are likely equal in quality(though centerlock is simple more convenient the 2x/year you even touch rotors) and handlebars which are of no different quality and you would probably want the bars on the Tiagra bike anyways(it has 20mm less drop).
If you cant swap the components that would be a cost to consider. Even if it costs $150 or 200 to swap, you now have the color bike you want and the lighter/nicer drivetrain.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-26-24, 10:20 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
hello all,

You might not care that much about the color after a while.
Old 02-26-24, 10:22 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Switching from red to grey is one thing. Pink and purple with sparkles is a different level.
Old 02-26-24, 10:51 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Bought a 70s sports car in the early 80s which was affordable but was in a color I didn’t like because it was affordable - no doubt because of the color - sephia brown. The car was fine but the color constantly put me off when not driving it. As a result, I ended up unloading it two years later. Get the color you want and upgrade the components as expenses allow.

Likes For rsbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.