Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a road bike that can have winter tires with studs, and fenders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommendations for a road bike that can have winter tires with studs, and fenders

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-22, 01:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
No I am not. You really should put me on ignore. I have had it with you. I am taking it up with moderation if you interfere with another post of mine. Or quote another post of mine or in any other way acknowledge my existence.

Ooooh, scary.

You posted a complaint about this thread that was off-base. I don't see how my response to it is in any way "interference".

Ignore lists work both ways, btw. Feel free to follow your own advice.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-25-22 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-25-22, 02:27 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
Hey you two guys, try harder to avoid bringing dirty laundry from past threads into the current one, please. Let's stop the arguing, thanx!
Old 01-25-22, 02:59 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Don't know what OP means, but I think the thing that I consider least road-bikey about a gravel bike is the gearing as the chainwheel tends to be way too small for my riding style.

I like the way you laid out these options.
A situation where one is frequently spinning out a 46x11 gear while on studded snow tires seems insanely specific, but yes... gravel bikes are usually specified with slightly lower gearing than a traditional road bike. This can be changed, of course. The GRX front derailleur can shift a 50T ring just fine.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-25-22, 03:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
So much guessing as to what OP is actually looking for, yet OP is MIA. Maybe just let this gestate awhile until he provides some clarification.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-25-22, 03:20 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't ride in such conditions...But the conditions that call for studs also call for wider tires. And 30mm is not wide.
I don’t have a lot of experience riding on ice, but I think the idea is the tire penetrates down to the ice and grabs with the studs.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 01-25-22 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-25-22, 03:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
So much guessing as to what OP is actually looking for, yet OP is MIA. Maybe just let this gestate awhile until he provides some clarification.
Or not. People can just talk about what and how they ride on ice.
Old 01-25-22, 03:45 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
A gravel bike with studs, of course.

Seems to work well enough on ice -

Old 01-25-22, 03:49 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
A situation where one is frequently spinning out a 46x11 gear while on studded snow tires seems insanely specific, but yes... gravel bikes are usually specified with slightly lower gearing than a traditional road bike. This can be changed, of course. The GRX front derailleur can shift a 50T ring just fine.
This gets back to OP seemingly wanting to use one bike year round, apparently switched to studded tires in winter, vs many others arguing to keep the road bike as a road bike and get something cheap, upright, and wider tired to put the studs on and take out on the few days they're really called for.

Or maybe the road bike spends the winter wearing a trainer tire!
Old 01-25-22, 03:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A gravel bike with studs, of course.

Seems to work well enough on ice -

Did you ever ride the 3 connected lakes in one ride?
Old 01-25-22, 04:05 PM
WhyFi

Did you ever ride the 3 connected lakes in one ride?
No, haven't done that. Honestly, when it's that cold out, my tolerance for bike shenanigans is considerably lower - 60-90 min is more than enough to quiet the demons. I'd have to be in a special mood to rumble up to and through the chain of lakes. Maybe one of these years I'll really embrace the winter cycling spirit, but it hasn't happened yet (and it's not going to be this year).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-26-22, 04:03 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
I think you should get something that Surly makes. They're pretty much known for making stuff like that.
Old 01-29-22, 03:49 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Since you said more road bike like instead of gravel bike..........how about a cyclocross race bike? The geometry is more road bike like. We have folks in this area in the age of disc brakes that ride them road in warm season with some 28mm or 32mm GP5000's. Cross season hits, back to the mud tires.

I feel the REAL issue here is the fenders. You can put a lot of tire on a lot of bikes, but if the fenders aren't intended for studded tires......it won't matter what bike it is.
Old 01-29-22, 04:45 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
If riding ice you are almost certainly also riding snow. Snow sticks to the bike. Sticks to fenders. How is it possible to ride fenders in snow? When I have done that it has usually been with fenders that are very far away from tire and it still causes all sorts of problems. If in city traffic with slush and patches of ice, yes, fenders can be very desirable. But please keep them a couple of centimeters away from the tire. And expect to stop and clear packed snow and ice.

Fenders out of alignment? If riding in snow yes they are.

Please remember that tungsten carbide studs will very easily cut steel, aluminum carbon. When you flat in snow and ice you get to remove that wheel in less than optimum conditions. You will not be doing a super slick ninja wheel change.
Old 01-29-22, 05:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312
So basically I want a new bike, I know that gravel bikes often have much wider clearance, but I don't really want a gravel bike.
You said you're looking for a road bike with more tire clearance.....A gravel bike is just a road bike that has clearance for bigger tires and fenders.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-29-22, 05:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312

Are there any proper road bikes, that can run with a studded winter tire and allow fenders to be mounted?
Yes there are...they're called gravel bikes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-02-22, 04:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Don't know what OP means, but I think the thing that I consider least road-bikey about a gravel bike is the gearing as the chainwheel tends to be way too small for my riding style.

I like the way you laid out these options.
My gravel bike has essentially the same gear range as my road bikes. I'm not familiar with gravel bikes that have gearing that can't be modified anyway.

Re, other aspects of this discussion. I have road bikes and have had a "gravel" bike in various forms for well over a decade, before they were called "gravel" bikes. Regardless, for me, although I have a few really nice, genuine road bikes, the gravel bikes, depending on how they were set up, were great road bikes. Yeah, the geometry may be different, but for me, there's so little difference in handling on good pavement, with similar tires, that it matters absolutely none.

Anyway, I'm of the camp that I really can't make any sense of what the OP is looking for. He has a "real" road bike, but he wants another "real" road bike that can take studded tires. If you want winter tires, go all the way and get appreciably wider tires and a frame that can accommodate them as well as the fenders. A gravel bike.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-02-22 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 06:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Camilo
My gravel bike has essentially the same gear range as my road bikes. I'm not familiar with gravel bikes that have gearing that can't be modified anyway.

Re, other aspects of this discussion. I have road bikes and have had a "gravel" bike in various forms for well over a decade, before they were called "gravel" bikes. Regardless, for me, although I have a few really nice, genuine road bikes, the gravel bikes, depending on how they were set up, were great road bikes. Yeah, the geometry may be different, but for me, there's so little difference in handling on good pavement, with similar tires, that it matters absolutely none.

Anyway, I'm of the camp that I really can't make any sense of what the OP is looking for. He has a "real" road bike, but he wants another "real" road bike that can take studded tires. If you want winter tires, go all the way and get appreciably wider tires and a frame that can accommodate them as well as the fenders. A gravel bike.

I consider a proper road bike requires at least a 50t chain ring, but I'm a very high gear rider. I know that's just my opinion, but "proper" is definitely subjective.

If I'm buying a new bike, I'm not looking for one where I have to take off the existing chain ring and replace it with something larger. But, that's just me. I agree we don't know what the op meant, it's literally the first words of mine you quoted.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-03-22 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-03-22, 07:00 AM
WhyFi

I consider a proper road bike requires at least a 50t chain ring, but I'm a very high gear rider. I know that's just my opinion, but "proper" is definitely subjective.
The bigger tires on gravel bikes contribute to the final gearing, which isn't typically far off of a 50t with skinny tires. If you're going to be swapping between tire sizes, you're going to be compromising somewhere. I put a 50/34 on my gravel bike and it's a bit tall when the going gets tough, like uphill on a loose surface.
Old 02-03-22, 08:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The bigger tires on gravel bikes contribute to the final gearing, which isn't typically far off of a 50t with skinny tires. If you're going to be swapping between tire sizes, you're going to be compromising somewhere. I put a 50/34 on my gravel bike and it's a bit tall when the going gets tough, like uphill on a loose surface.

I think you're familiar enough with my post history to know why I'm going to avoid comparing my gear preferences to those of normal humans.

I much prefer a 53t with skinny tires so the 50t is already a compromise for me. Again, I'm just speaking for myself and how I draw the line between proper road bike and improper(?).
Old 02-03-22, 09:25 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
They sure can, but as that would not specifically address the OP’s situation those people would probably do best to chat about general ice riding in another thread.
But that maybe makes too much sense so instead carry on here without the OP
Old 02-03-22, 09:49 AM
WhyFi

I think you're familiar enough with my post history to know why I'm going to avoid comparing my gear preferences to those of normal humans.

I much prefer a 53t with skinny tires so the 50t is already a compromise for me. Again, I'm just speaking for myself and how I draw the line between proper road bike and improper(?).
And I'm just informing from a practical perspective on why it is the way it is - 50/34 is probably the most common crankset on road bikes these days but, for the reasons I'd mentioned, that gearing may not be as desirable or practical on bikes meant to accommodate larger tires on poorer surfaces.
Old 02-03-22, 10:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And I'm just informing from a practical perspective on why it is the way it is - 50/34 is probably the most common crankset on road bikes these days but, for the reasons I'd mentioned, that gearing may not be as desirable or practical on bikes meant to accommodate larger tires on poorer surfaces.

Uhhh, duh?

Point is that people have different reasons why a "compromise" can pull a type of bicycle out of consideration for use in the category of riding they want to do.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-03-22 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-03-22, 10:30 AM
WhyFi

Uhhh, duh?
Soooo should I *not* point why some configurations are practical for the vast majority of riders simply because it may not jibe with your personal preferences? Strangely, it's not always about you.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-03-22, 10:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Soooo should I *not* point why some configurations are practical for the vast majority of riders simply because it may not jibe with your personal preferences? Strangely, it's not always about you.

You were literally responding to a post that was entirely and explicitly about my own perspective and opinions, so in this case, yes it was actually about me.

You posted the bloody obvious as some sort of counter to my post. I think that merits a "duh" since I was avowedly not saying anything about how other people view it, and couldn't have made that more obvious if I had tried.
Old 02-03-22, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

You were literally responding to a post that was entirely and explicitly about my own perspective and opinions, so in this case, yes it was actually about me.

You posted the bloody obvious as some sort of counter to my post. I think that merits a "duh" since I was avowedly not saying anything about how other people view it, and couldn't have made that more obvious if I had tried.
So a response to a post all about you must also be all about you, and couldb't possibly be for the benefit of others considering a gravel bike but wondering about the gearing disparity? Okay. And the point about tire size affecting final gearing is quite often overlooked - you certainly didn't explicitly or implicitly acknowledge it, and I didn't see anyone else do so, either - so I thought it worth mentioning. Apologies if that offended your delicate sensibilities.
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.