Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Orbea bikes and owners here

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Orbea bikes and owners here

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 02:23 PM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sabot
Just bought an Opal last weekend. Absolutely love it. Before buying the Opal I test rode an...

Orbea Orca (too soft)
Giant TCR (didn't fit)
Scott CR1 (Unbelievable climber, fast acceleration & stiff but the fork is to harsh)
BMC Team (loved it however LBS didn't have my size to test ride; i test rode a 53 and needed a 55. It was a little more harsh then Opal but not nearly as bad as CR1. If i could buy a second bike for Crits this would be the one)

I finally decided on the Orbea Opal. I was looking for a stiff frame for climbing but also a bike i could ride comfortably for hours and i believe this is the perfect rig for the task. If you are looking for a pure climbing bike then i believe the Scott CR1 is the answer. If you are looking for a great race bike then i think the BMC is great choice...but if you want a bike that runs that guanlet, very light, can climb, be raced, and ridden for hours at a time then the Opal is the weapon of choice.

I built mine with...

Durace 10 speed
Shimano Compact crankset 172.5 50x34 with Dura Ace Cassette 11x23
Zero Gravity ti brakes
Fizik Arione saddle
Ritchey Pro stem 100cm
Zipp Contour bars
Rolf Elan Aero wheels
Flight Deck wireless Computer
Profile Karbon lite cages
Hutchinson Team series tires
Speedplay Ti pedals

Total weight as described above is 16lbs 3 ounces (size 54). My goal is to break the 16lbs barrier so i need to cut another 100 grams to do it. The Ritchey pro stem is a loaner until the Ritchey WCS stem i ordered comes in (thats another 50 gram savings); so that leaves me with 50 grams to cut. The seat post is probably the most likely canidate to change but i'll keep looking.
Oh god that is nice! I'm guessing the Opal is a good sprinters bike too judging by the stiffness - or no? Not much climbing where I am but lots of fast rolling races with bunch sprints at the end.
Old 03-06-06, 10:53 AM
sabot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike rides so smooth that i think its a little deceiving. Yeah i think its great for sprinting however given how smooth and comfortable it is, you just wouldn't believe that its stiff enough...but it is!
Old 03-08-06, 11:14 AM
JOKESonSPOKES

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey everyone! well, i picked up an alu. orbea frame for real cheap at the san fran velo swap a few months ago, and i'm in the process of building it up, just waiting on DR and levers now. But anyway, i was just wondering if anyone had any info on the Orbea Roubaix?? Just trying to figure out what year, how it feels, all that jazz... i know its newer because its spred for a 10 speed cog.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-06, 11:17 AM
JOKESonSPOKES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P.S. i'll post a picture later
Old 03-08-06, 12:22 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Google pulls up a 2004 model on a UK website. Lobular frame (hydroformed aluminum).

That's a nice frame.

Old 03-08-06, 04:55 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Opal is one of if not the most beautiful bike I have seen lately. It will be at the top of my list when my Dauphine gets a little old.
Old 03-08-06, 05:21 PM
JOKESonSPOKES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! That looks like the frame I have, only with out the carbon seat and chainstays. Well, what about the rest of my set up, its almost finished, when it is i'll post pictures.

Ultegra 9s RD and FD
Ultegra 6500 dual pivot caliper breaks
105 Double Crankset
(forget what the bottom bracket is)
BRC Profile Design Carbon Forks
Bontrager Race Wheels with Race Lite hubs and Race X Lite tires
Dura Ace 9s STI Flightdeck levers
Aheadset headset (forgot the model)
Specialized prolong evolution saddle
and i'm looking for a seat post

Anything I should thinking about ditching as soon as I can? Or will I be well off for a while... this is my first aluminum frame, and first real road bike, I've had others but only old steel 10 speed commuter bikes, I'm very excited to finish this one!

Last edited by JOKESonSPOKES; 03-08-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 02:17 PM
Eny

Bikes: Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally joined the Orbea club this week, by finally taking delivery of my Vitesse . Would have got it a month sooner except i ordered the Ksyrium Elite wheel upgrade and the factory delivered it with standard Shimano's, the factory took that long to send the right wheels out

The bike looks absolutley gorgeous (as do all Orbea's). Haven't taken it out yet, the weather in the UK has been crap this week, just waiting for it to dry up a bit.
Old 03-10-06, 04:00 PM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got new bars to put on and then I'm gonna post a new pic of the Ultrafoco. With the new saddle, longer stem, traditional bars and increase in seat height it's a very different bike. Hopefully next week.
Old 03-22-06, 09:11 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My wife's flat-bar Mitis (which I lovingly built).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bikes 001.jpg (28.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 03-22-06, 09:52 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One step Closer to my finished product (Orbea Orca). Most of my Shimano stuff has arrived including my Dura-Ace dear derailer just today. Many more pics in the coming weeks.

Old 03-23-06, 11:32 AM
rrobins

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Here are my Orbeas. I have two. MY Orca is the Ultimate long ride in the hills bike that I got it last july. It is Blue andwhite and in the shop right now getting the cranks fixed. I do not have a pic small enough to post yet.
The second is my short fast 30-40 miler bike. t is an Orbea Liege which is basically a lobular frame built with campy components. I bought the frame off ebay in Dec 05 and have been built it up using ultegra 10, velomax circuits and thomson seatpost, itm wingshapes bars, and fsa stem. It is a really stiff fun ride. I have not taken her for any long rides yet. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-06, 04:51 PM
JOKESonSPOKES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres my finished product! It rides real nice, it'll be a prefect first real road bike.

Old 04-03-06, 05:29 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally finished, and tested. I love it

For a bit of a review and more pics, see https://www.mybigride.com/journal/200...e-is-done.html

With pedals, it weighs in at 16.32 lbs. Sweet~!
Old 04-03-06, 09:38 PM
Rsix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's ours. Both 2006 Orbeas. Mine's an Opal and hers is an Onix. We LOVE them!
Attached Images
Orbeas.JPG (99.1 KB, 258 views)
Old 04-03-06, 11:51 PM
shawnj73
ride on !!!!

Bikes: Felt F2, Cannondale CAAD 8, Motobecane Immortal Force, Intense Uzzi Sl MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shnapper
I'm in north Phoenix also, 32nd & Union Hills area........

I do MB on occasion also, cave creek dam, pima & dynamite or trail 100. I need to get in the dirt soon, I have been training on the road for this MS150 and have neglected my body of good cross training for lord knows what reason. I guess I like finishing rides not covered in dirt lately, but now I'm missing the dusty shoes and crusty tasting upper lip after a good MB ride.
Do not forget Trail 101A. that will really test your skills!!!
Old 04-04-06, 12:25 AM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
Finally finished, and tested. I love it

For a bit of a review and more pics, see https://www.mybigride.com/journal/200...e-is-done.html

With pedals, it weighs in at 16.32 lbs. Sweet~!
Nice...She's a beauty
Old 04-13-06, 11:12 PM
kobraboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone knows of any website/shop that has good deals on the Onix or Orca? I am in Cleveland, OH.
Old 04-13-06, 11:13 PM
kobraboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good deals on Orca/Onix?

Anyone knows of any website/shop that has good deals on the Onix or Orca? I am in Cleveland, OH.
Old 04-17-06, 05:19 PM
nocondorfx
Mr.Schwinn F'in Armstrong

Bikes: tarmac pro, SJ HT 29er expert, Trek Xo2, atomlab trailpimp, cannondale f5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Authority in broadview carries orbea's. haven't been to the shop before but they are a top 100.
Old 04-18-06, 06:54 AM
DerekU2

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Dauphine, 1997 GT Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AppStateEvan
My Dauphine has been great so far, I love the frame. Hate the wheels however, they will be replaced soon.

I saw a Volata when I was picking up my Dauphine and for the price it looked like a solid bike. The campy mirage components are actually fairly solid and the wheels are very decent(Mavic Askium's I beleive). Frame is nice, a little over a pound heavier than the Dauphine.
I've actually been pleasantyly surprised with the wheels on my Dauphine (Shimano R-500's). Also, I thought for sure that I would hate the tires (Michelin Speedium) and I'm still not wild about the 85 PSI limit, but they are holding up like champs. No visible wear so far!

I will be upgrading the wheels at some point - if just for the convenience of having a spare set - but I haven't yet wrapped my head around what's a good wheel, what's a bad wheel, etc. Next season, perhaps.

I've been very pleased thus far with about 700 miles. The only upgrade was a Fizik Arione saddle.
Old 04-18-06, 08:55 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
One of the bike shops here was selling an ORBEA (sorry forget the model) at a ridiculously low price. The welds weren't smooth and it had stickers instead of hand painted graphics. How many models are like this? All the ORBEA frames I had previously seen (and the one I currently have) had / have incredible finishes.
Just Curious.
Steve.
Old 04-18-06, 12:29 PM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DerekU2
Also, I thought for sure that I would hate the tires (Michelin Speedium) and I'm still not wild about the 85 PSI limit.
Check your tires again, they are rated at 85-120psi. You are actually using the minimum recomended presure not the maximum. I have been running mine at 120 since I bought my Dauphine back in August of last year and they are holding up fine. Although I did have to replace the rear due to a nasty shard of glass...but that would have been the case regardless of presure.
Old 04-23-06, 11:36 PM
eazywind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just Joined the Orbea club

Took out my new orbea orca on its maiden voyage this evening. I spent all day building it up using components from my previous frame. Older components, but still a great ride. Fun, fun, fun!!! I love this frame! Felt very nice compared to my older Kestrel SC200 frame.

57cm frame
FSA headset
Last year older style Dura Ace 2004? 9 speed, front and rear derailleurs, Brake/shifter levers, Brakes.
Thomson seatpost and stem
Kestrel carbon handlebars
Fizik alente saddle
Rolf Vector pro wheelset
Crank bros Quattro SL pedals

Weighs about 18 pounds. Going to try to upload some pics. The previews are not showing the pics. Marc
Attached Images
P1010001.JPG (93.6 KB, 218 views)
Old 04-23-06, 11:46 PM
eazywind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More pics

More pics.
Attached Images
P1010002.JPG (95.2 KB, 89 views)
P1010003.JPG (90.9 KB, 103 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.