Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

The truth about clearance between frame and crotch...?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 03:31 AM
evivbulgroz

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Absolute 1.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear All:

I am currently shopping for a new bike -- my first in almost 30 years.

I am looking at hybrids, and have been trying bikes at a couple of different LBS in Los Angeles.

So far I have tried some Trek FX, Fuji Absolute and Schwinn.

I am 5'11.

At one store, I was told that one needs about 1" clearance between the top of the frame and one's crotch when not on the saddle. As a result, I was given a few 19" bikes to try. (Fuji)

At the other store, the guy told me that it was more about riding position, and that a 20" was better for me (no space between the frame and my crotch there). So therefore I tried a couple of 20" bikes (Trek).

Riding-wise, I did not feel any difference really, but I also only did two laps around the block...

Who is right? Does it matter?

Thanks for the advice.

EBZ
Old 07-21-14, 03:38 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, it will probably matter if for some reason you end up flat footed with the tires sitting on something higher than normal. Like smacking a curb or something and coming off the front seat. One shop I that I was checking my bike made a point that it is a safety issue. Find a bike with a sloping frame giving you the reach and I bet you will feel more comfortable about the bike. I sure would have if both of my road bikes were an inch lower.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 07-21-14, 09:00 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sort of depends on the definition of "crotch". An inch of clearance between the top tube and the pubic bone is the minimum I would recommend. This doesn't mean you can't be touching the top tube as you stand over the bike. But it does mean that if you can't lift the bike an inch before it hits something that won't "give", you probably want a smaller frame.
Old 07-22-14, 01:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Casual, JRA a taller frame, Less clearance, aggressive, particularly MTB off road you want more clearance.
Old 07-22-14, 03:00 AM
evivbulgroz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your thoughts. I went to another LBS today to try some Giant and Specialized bikes. The guy seemed very knowledgeable and said I was in between two frame size (Medium/large) or around 19/20".

He felt for city riding in Los Angeles, I was better off with the slightly shorter frame an some clearance. The more I think about it the more I tend to agree.

While the larger frame was not uncomfortable, there was a little... should I say potential danger mounting and getting off the seat quickly...

I also remember in the past having to jump a curb to avoid some !#!*?! car not paying attention...
Old 07-22-14, 11:45 AM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 5'5" and am comfortable on 52cm/20.5" vintage bikes with straight top tubes. Depending on tire size there is generally at least 1" before I bottom out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20140713_074509.jpg (101.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by ofgit; 07-22-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-22-14, 11:57 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
I like flat handlebar bikes with a 56cm top tube.

My 15" Mongoose has 56cm ETT (effective top tube) as did a 1999 18" Trek 4000, so they both fit perfectly but the goose has about 1.5" more standover than the Trek.

Looks like both the Trek fx and Fuji Absolute have a nearly 55cm. I'd probably go with those personally and get a longer stem if necessary.

It might take you a while to figure out what ETT fits you best. You also need to figure out what back angle you'd like. 20 deg from horizontal for a racing posture, 80 degrees from horizontal for upright pleasure cruise, or somewhere in between. For upright you may want to go shorter ETT but you may need to swap stem or bars to get lost bar height back.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-22-14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 06:00 PM
evivbulgroz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ofgit
I'm 5'5" and am comfortable on 52cm/20.5" vintage bikes with straight top tubes. Depending on tire size there is generally at least 1" before I bottom out.
What size are your wheels? the 700 could be making the difference, or you may just have longer legs than mine.

[SUB][/SUB]
Old 07-22-14, 06:05 PM
evivbulgroz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I like flat handlebar bikes with a 56cm top tube.

My 15" Mongoose has 56cm ETT (effective top tube) as did a 1999 18" Trek 4000, so they both fit perfectly but the goose has about 1.5" more standover than the Trek.

Looks like both the Trek fx and Fuji Absolute have a nearly 55cm. I'd probably go with those personally and get a longer stem if necessary.

It might take you a while to figure out what ETT fits you best. You also need to figure out what back angle you'd like. 20 deg from horizontal for a racing posture, 80 degrees from horizontal for upright pleasure cruise, or somewhere in between. For upright you may want to go shorter ETT but you may need to swap stem or bars to get lost bar height back.
I think I'm going to chose between a Giant escape and Fuji absolute.

I will try them again in different size and talk to the LBS about posture.
Old 07-22-14, 08:27 PM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wheel size is 700c. Tire size makes a difference. Top tubes are 54-55cm. Bar height, stem length, saddle and crank length all factor into rider position/fit.

Last edited by ofgit; 07-22-14 at 08:35 PM.