Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmets NOT made in China

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmets NOT made in China

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 04:38 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I find it interesting that many of us are discussing the "ethics" of "buying American" while buying bikes made outside of America. I include myself in this discussion. My ethics won't allow me to buy a Trek for what they did to Greg LeMond over his accusations of Lance's lying and cheating. I also won't buy Specialized thanks to their suit over the Roubaix LBS in Canada. And, so it goes.
Not just bicycles but thousands of other products too...China is the largest producer of EV batteries. Does that mean that anybody who drives an environmentally friendly Tesla EV vehicle or an electric assisted bike is supporting communism ??
Old 04-04-22, 04:41 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
So you never really understood my comments. That could explain our disagreement.

I stated that I do not alter my principles (or deviate from them) in response to inconvenience or cost. Those are two very different things. (You should really review the definition of immutable before responding.)
I'll try to clarify this for you:
  • Immutable means non-changeable.
  • You replied to VegasJen , "you will act on your principles as long as it's not too expensive...Which means that they are not really principles."
  • So by your reasoning, because VegasJen can't afford to buy a U.S. helmet, he/she doesn't really hold the principle of buying American products, because according to you, introducing a condition or an exception to a principle changes it to something other than a principle.
  • This suggests that in order to remain a principle, that principle must be unchangeable, or immutable.
  • This is absurd.
  • Just as with a rule or a law, just because they may contain conditions and/or exceptions doesn't change them to something else, or negate them. They still remain principles (or rules, or laws) regardless, and their practitioner still possesses that principle.

Carry on as I'm sure you will, but I'm all done here.
Old 04-04-22, 04:45 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
On a side note, I recently bought a very expensive ski helmet, my first. It's beautifully made, truly far above other helmets on the market and the reviews parallel my admiration. Funny, there's no country of origin on the box, nor the paperwork.

Intrigued I just had to find out where it was made so I started to peel back the Velcro inserts and what do you think I found? In Microfiche-sized print, there it was, "Made in China". So small, tucked in a place that only careful inspection would it be found. I returned the helmet to to the brick and mortar store that I bought online from. When the guy asked why I was returning it, I was honest, "it's made in China". He smiled and processed my return.

Unfortunately, China can and does make VERY high quality goods (when they want to), and for some of those goods, you do actually pay a lot of money for them. Had that helmet been made in Italy, the USA or any other western nation, heck even Vietnam, it would have been double the price. Kudo's to China for the quality, but I just can't.....support that regime.

BTW, it was an American company's helmet that was made in China. Very disconcerting.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 04-04-22 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-04-22, 04:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
  • This suggests that in order to remain a principle, that principle must be unchangeable, or immutable.

I never argued that, even by implication. Though you seem to have made an inference based in misunderstanding. At any rate, you’re correct. Nothing more to gain here.
Old 04-04-22, 05:29 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont know why there are not more price competitive options coming from Honduras or Uganda. My initial guess is because the infrastructure doent exist in either country right now, but thats a total guess. For Taiwan, I am guessing it would be price prohibitive.

So since you know the answer, do tell.
For one, there isn't any infrastructure, so that part, yes. But the other part is that China has made deals with these companies to bring manufacturing over there. But it's a "deal with the devil" kind of thing. They get ownership of the plants, they have access to the technology and there is virtually no protection for the manufacturers. And companies are doing this because China is funding a lot of the costs to relocate and ramp up on the front end, knowing full well they reap the benefits on the back end. Not only do they gain the manufacturing and technology infrastructure they could never build on their own, but they've weakened our ability to compete in the global market and as a global power at the same time. What a deal! If I could strengthen my position and weaken my enemy at the same time, you bet your butt I would do the exact same thing. I don't even fault the ChiComs for doing what they're doing. It's the nature of things. Mosquitoes bite, bees sting, communists steal. But I don't have to be a willing participant in it.
Originally Posted by chaadster
Federal minimum wage went to $3.35/hr in 1981, so…you’re, like, a 55 year old, unemployed college student? That takes courage. Kudos.
OK, maybe I was off. It's been a while. Maybe it was $3.65/hr. And I'm not 55... yet. But I am on the wrong side of 50. And unemployed college student = second career.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You buy a helmet made in Italy online through some European website, you're not supporting your local USA business, .... When you buy a helmet made in China sold through your local LBS at least you're supporting your local business here in North America.
I would support my LBS when I have the opportunity. I currently live in a small community that has no LBS, although when I go into Vegas I try to shop local when I can. But it doesn't change the fact that money I spend on products made in China help them fund their aggression towards their neighbors, steal our technology and corner manufacturing.
Originally Posted by drlogik
True, but the profits go to China. Given the choice of profits going to China or Italy, I'll choose Italy. I bought my Kask helmet from a small local shop that I've been going to for over 30 years.
Same here. I totally get these high end products offered by German and Italian manufacturers, but why can they not also have a budget line?
Originally Posted by Rolla
I'll try to clarify this for you:
  • Immutable means non-changeable.
  • You replied to VegasJen , "you will act on your principles as long as it's not too expensive...Which means that they are not really principles."
  • So by your reasoning, because VegasJen can't afford to buy a U.S. helmet, he/she doesn't really hold the principle of buying American products, because according to you, introducing a condition or an exception to a principle changes it to something other than a principle.
  • This is absurd.
  • Just as with a rule or a law, just because they may contain conditions and/or exceptions doesn't change them to something else, or negate them. They still remain principles (or rules, or laws) regardless, and their practitioner still possesses that principle.

Carry on as I'm sure you will, but I'm all done here.
"she", and thank you.

As for trade, I am all for trading with other nations that are fair trading partners. The Chinese have proven themselves time and again to not only be unfair trading partners, but have malevolent intent for us and their neighbors. But make no mistake, I hold no ill will against the Chinese people. They are as much victims here as anybody. It's all about the CCP and their political-military complex. (Ya, I remember Tiennamin Square)
Old 04-04-22, 05:30 PM
VegasJen

I never argued that, even by implication. Though you seem to have made an inference based in misunderstanding. At any rate, you’re correct. Nothing more to gain here.
But you did assert that my desire was a principle, which I never stated. I would love for that to be an option, but if it were, I would have little choice but to live in a cave and watch rabbits make bunnies for my entertainment.
Old 04-04-22, 06:49 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by VegasJen
But you did assert that my desire was a principle, which I never stated.
Actually, I literally stated the exact opposite:

it means that you will act on your principles as long as it's not too expensive...Which means that they are not really principles.
Does anyone on bf know how to read?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-04-22, 07:06 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
What the hell was the point of this thread again?
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 04-04-22, 07:10 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by vespasianus
Someone hates China.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-04-22, 07:20 PM
VegasJen

The KASK Valegro sells for down to $70 sometimes and the Rapido sells for under $100.
How much are you looking to spend on a helmet?
I can and will do $70. Where do you see that? I only looked on the brand's website. That's where I got the numbers I was quoting. I don't really know where else to look. I wouldn't mind finding a good online source besides Amazon. Not really a fan of any of the mega-retailers. I always prefer to shop/buy small, local businesses when it's an option. Not so easy when you live in a dinky town.
Actually, I literally stated the exact opposite:

Does anyone on bf know how to read?
Actually, you DID state I was violating a principle because I would buy a Chinese product based on cost. I said no such thing. I said I wish there were more options in my price point.

Do you even know what you posted???
Someone hates China.
I don't hate China, or the Chinese. I do hate the CCP. As I detest communism. It is a horrible, oppressive form of government.
Old 04-04-22, 07:54 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
I can and will do $70. Where do you see that? I only looked on the brand's website.
$99, and took less time to find than reading this thread.
https://www.kask.com/en/cycling/helmets/rapido_24_2.htm

I don't buy into this living wage BS. Not every job deserves $15 or $20 an hour. First job was a burger flipper at Wendy's. I got paid $3.15/hr because that was minimum wage. ... But we don't pay people for what they're worth, we pay people for what they do. Want to make more money? Do something of value
So you expect a cadre of burger flippers to prepare you a meal from time to time, but admit that you're okay with paying them substandard wages, and relegating them to poverty? Oh, and cut the government safety nets too right?

Honestly, what a trash thread with some trash opinions all around.

On a good note, that $99 Kask helmet is just a small stretch above my usual helmet budget...
Old 04-04-22, 08:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I can and will do $70. Where do you see that? I only looked on the brand's website. That's where I got the numbers I was quoting. I don't really know where else to look. I wouldn't mind finding a good online source besides Amazon. Not really a fan of any of the mega-retailers. I always prefer to shop/buy small, local businesses when it's an option. Not so easy when you live in a dinky town.
If you want to buy limited distribution products locally, your best best chance at doing so is to not live in a dinky town.

https://bikecloset.com/product/kask-...BoCu0oQAvD_BwE
Gray and black in size small for $70.

Pretty expensive helmet usually.
Old 04-04-22, 10:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Just another opportunity for some of us to devolve into pedantry.
Old 04-04-22, 10:35 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

I'm with you on Amazon. I have amassed a bunch of great online stores that are often equal or below prices and have better availability than Amazon. Two I've used recently to very good effect are Western Bike Works / BIke Tires Direct and MooseJaw. I've also used Jensen, Perforemance/Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry, Planet Bike, Trail This, Ben's / Milwaukee, REI, Classic Cycling, MANY EBay sellers, and many others recently. I haven't had to use Amazon for over a year, and a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff (groups, wheels, tires, shoes, helmets, etc.) . Would I use Amazon if it was the only place to get something? Probably, but I really like to avoid it if it's not a huge hardship.

If you do a simple web search for Kask helmets, some of the above and many other sources will come up.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-04-22 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-05-22, 12:10 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Bulette
$99, and took less time to find than reading this thread.
https://www.kask.com/en/cycling/helmets/rapido_24_2.htm

So you expect a cadre of burger flippers to prepare you a meal from time to time, but admit that you're okay with paying them substandard wages, and relegating them to poverty? Oh, and cut the government safety nets too right?

Honestly, what a trash thread with some trash opinions all around.

On a good note, that $99 Kask helmet is just a small stretch above my usual helmet budget...
Sure. If you're a burger flipper, you should be, 1) in school, 2) a teenager, 3) a con trying to get back on his feet. Flipping burgers is NOT a fkn career. Why is that so hard to understand? If you're 30 or 40 years old and you find yourself behind the grill at a fast food joint, chances are you've made some pretty s****y decisions in life.
If you want to buy limited distribution products locally, your best best chance at doing so is to not live in a dinky town.

But I like living in a dinky town. I lived in Las Vegas for a whole lot of years and I can hardly stand going there now. It's trade offs. And for me, driving into Vegas only once or twice a month is worth the inconvenience.
Originally Posted by Camilo
I'm with you on Amazon. I have amassed a bunch of great online stores that are often equal or below prices and have better availability than Amazon. Two I've used recently to very good effect are Western Bike Works / BIke Tires Direct and MooseJaw. I've also used Jensen, Perforemance/Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist, Competitive Cyclist/Backcountry, Planet Bike, Trail This, Ben's / Milwaukee, REI, Classic Cycling, MANY EBay sellers, and many others recently. I haven't had to use Amazon for over a year, and a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff (groups, wheels, tires, shoes, helmets, etc.) . Would I use Amazon if it was the only place to get something? Probably, but I really like to avoid it if it's not a huge hardship.

If you do a simple web search for Kask helmets, some of the above and many other sources will come up.
Thanks for the referrals. Will check out.
Old 04-05-22, 04:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It's almost guaranteed that you are typing on a Chinese made keyboard at this moment.
Any time someone asks about products that are not made in China, that comments comes out. I am assuming that you know that there are often no reasonable non-Chinese options in certain product categories right?
Old 04-05-22, 04:23 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts

The OP asked this question:

"Any chance I can buy a helmet that is NOT made in China?"
Old 04-05-22, 04:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The OP asked this question:

"Any chance I can buy a helmet that is NOT made in China?"
And he hasn’t been back since.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-05-22, 05:11 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts

An even better deal on a well made helmet!

Sure. If you're a burger flipper, you should be, 1) in school, 2) a teenager, 3) a con trying to get back on his feet. Flipping burgers is NOT a fkn career.
This is an irrational justification. What students or teens are working the grill at noon? Either way, I worked those grills, as an adult, side by side with other adults. Career or not, some people rely on those jobs. If you don't want to pay them fairly, we should just outsource their labor to China...
Old 04-05-22, 05:17 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
To give the troll-in-chief the chance to tell us we are all stupid and can't read and of course, spew political crap at will polluting the thread.
Old 04-05-22, 07:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
Closing for just a bit. While there was nothing wrong with the original question, it's sort of understandable that this would devolve into a political line of underlying motives and secondary questions. Surprised there hasn't been more hostility in this thread TBH.