Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Official Bianchi Celeste thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Official Bianchi Celeste thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 02:25 AM
armstrong101

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by verktyg
NO! All things being equal, it's the wall thickness of the tubing that makes a difference in ride. Stronger high alloy steels allow for thinner tubes which are also lighter. Bicycle frames and wheels are dynamic not static - they move and flex in use. A lighter frame will absorb more road shock.
OK - so my misunderstanding about what you said regarding non-Bianchi vs Bianchi forks given a Tretubi sticker. I guess we can agree that regarding the green Bianchi fork tubing sticker that goes with the Tretubi sticker, that it is made of Colubmus tubing.

https://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/D...987Bianchi.pdf

The 1987 catalog actually has info on the tubing. Page 14. I've attached a screengrab.

The CDI frame is described as: Bianchi Special Formula 2 Tretubi by Columbus in Superset Design. It's fork is made of Columbus Aelle.

Moving higher up the list, the Limited, Nuovo Alloro, and Trofeo has the same frame, but with Formula 2 Fork.

Moving even higher, the Superleggera, Mondiale and Giro is a mix of SL/SP with an SP fork.

So looking at this, I doubt Formula 2 is a SL/SP mix, given that the highest-end bikes are made of that. But of course, we don't know. NO mention of Cromor anywhere at all on this list. Perhaps Cromor was introduced later (my 1987 and 1988 mid-range Bianchis have Formula 2, my 1989 mid-ranger has Cromor).

My opinion that Formula 2 ~ Cromor is because of the ubiquity of Cromor and Formula 2 in late 80s midrange Bianchi bikes. It seems for bikes in the same range (CDI, Quattro, Brava), they'll either have one or the other. It would seem to me that a full-Columbus tubing bike ranks a bit higher than a Tretubi frame (only 3 main tubes), and hence a "Cromor" Bianchi is ranked slightly higher than a Formula 2 frame. As such, it would seem logical that the step-down from a Cromor frame, is a Cromor frame with its main 3 tubes Cromor, with the stays some thing else. That was the reasoning behind my guess that Formula 2 Tretubi is Cromor-level. Again, that was my guess only and has no legitimacy whatsoever. As you say, perhaps it is made of SL/SP in the main tubes, but it just doesn't seem logical that it would be. But again, I don't know.

Regarding your quote above, perhaps I'm not getting you or you're not getting me. What would you say is the ride difference between two bikes, one made by a master builder, and one made generically (on an assembly line).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Catalog.jpg (102.4 KB, 593 views)

Last edited by armstrong101; 12-19-14 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-19-14, 05:48 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
My only Bianchi. ' hope to acquire at least more in the future.

Very cool, Arman! That's the bike that hooked me, way back when I was a teenager in the mid 80s..... Hope to see it out on a ride here sometime!

Here's my '54 CDM:

Old 12-19-14, 11:55 AM
callig

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 9 Posts
The Formula One Decal has no mention of tretubi so I believe Formula one would be all tubes Columbus tubing forks and stays and I was told by T-Mar that it was made of Columbus Matrix tubing which became Comar Tubing after a problem with the original name. These bikes were made with Giepeme drop outs and generally a lower end components which made it a more affordable bike
Old 12-19-14, 12:10 PM
DVC45

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Very cool, Arman! That's the bike that hooked me, way back when I was a teenager in the mid 80s..... Hope to see it out on a ride here sometime!

Here's my '54 CDM:

It sure rides nice. It was to be a flipper, but I couldn't bring myself to letting it go after I rode it.

What tires you got on your Bianchi? Tubulars?
Old 12-20-14, 08:45 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by callig
The Formula One Decal has no mention of tretubi so I believe Formula one would be all tubes Columbus tubing forks and stays and I was told by T-Mar that it was made of Columbus Matrix tubing which became Comar Tubing after a problem with the original name. These bikes were made with Giepeme drop outs and generally a lower end components which made it a more affordable bike

Here's some old links to discussions about Bianchi Columbus Formula One and Formula Two tubing, also Bianchi Special. There has never been a consensus about what they were... Just educated guesses and opinions....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...inal-word.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...s-i-think.html

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Old 12-20-14, 09:31 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Originally Posted by DVC45
It sure rides nice. It was to be a flipper, but I couldn't bring myself to letting it go after I rode it.

What tires you got on your Bianchi? Tubulars?
Yeah, Dugast 32s. Like riding on pillows, and perfect for L'Eroica. Picked them up cheap from iab, and a second set at a swap meet last year.
Old 01-30-15, 01:59 AM
Valiant75

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Pro, Orbea H40, Bianchi Mega Pro Pantani Replica, various old bikes.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I have determined that I need an English thread bottom bracket on my Mega Pro XL, but can someone tell me what length I need. I am thinking it will be a 102mm, I have a 2001 year 10 speed crank set.
Old 01-31-15, 05:20 PM
R3tired

Bikes: '79 CIOCC, '80 Cinelli, '86 DeRosa, '93 Bianchi EL-OS, '13 Cervelo R3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Katiesmalls
Just getting started, am I missing much
that's funny... i was in the same boat a month ago.. but i found some more celeste bits... should be ready to submit to the thread in a couple of weeks...
Old 01-31-15, 06:31 PM
Katiesmalls
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last month sold My super Leggera 1988 according to the serial number. I couldn't believe how heavy it was, but thought it was only my warped opinion. Buyer drove a long way to pick it up in person. He commented although he was going to purchase it anyway, how heavy it was.. All Campy factory stock, just a very heavy bike for some reason.
Old 02-02-15, 10:11 AM
ionikos

Bikes: Koga Miyata 1976 Pro Racer, Koga Miyata 1978 Road Racer, Koga Miyata 1979 Gents Luxe-S, Koga Miyata 1980 Road Winner, Koga Miyata 1980 Voyager, Raleigh super course mk 11, Bianchi X4 1987

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last month sold My super Leggera 1988 according to the serial number. I couldn't believe how heavy it was, but thought it was only my warped opinion. Buyer drove a long way to pick it up in person. He commented although he was going to purchase it anyway, how heavy it was.. All Campy factory stock, just a very heavy bike for some reason.
Just the weight of the bike! I have an 1986 X4 and I think it is quite heavy, although I love riding it.
Old 02-02-15, 10:26 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by ionikos
Just the weight of the bike! I have an 1986 X4 and I think it is quite heavy, although I love riding it.
Heavy compared to....what? The '88 'Leggera is listed at 21.5lbs, and I would suspect that any comparable SL/SP mix frame (if there were any) with a full Chorus and basic clinchers like the Ambrosios would weigh in at about the same. If you put some trick tubulars wheels and tires on it you might savea pound or two but I suspect the weight is comparable to any similar bike of the day.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-15, 12:24 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob
Here's my '54 CDM:

That's what I'm talking about... That crank is to die for.
Old 02-02-15, 12:32 PM
nycbianchi

Bikes: Seven Axiom SL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How am I only now discovering this thread?!
Old 02-02-15, 01:19 PM
bibliobob

Originally Posted by Salubrious
That's what I'm talking about... That crank is to die for.
Thanks. I picked up the FB cottered crank from iab, and used some NOS TA rings, after stripping the anodizing. Far from a perfect match, but this is a work horse rider, not a show bike. Super practical, and period correct. Coppi used a similar (if not same) crank on some of his early bikes:

Old 02-02-15, 06:05 PM
Katiesmalls
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that is what you may suspect, as did I, I can't explain it, maybe the original seat, Dense air in the clinchers, LOL, I don't know why it felt heavy, I didn't weigh it, as I don't like to see my weight lately on the bathroom scale, as I am getting ready for a trip on my job that may require it, but if personal opinion accounts for anything, the freakin thing was heavier than any bike of that era that I have, and I have more than enough to judge by. Truly, maybe the seat absorbed a lot of moisture , I owned the bike 25 plus years, I know you are partial to them, I probably love them just as much, but the superleggera I had was heavy, felt slow, and the new buyer while happy with it, after driving 6 hours, was about to change his mind after lifting it. Thank god I didn't have those first generation CCampy SGR pedals on it, they are like children's old peddle blocks on tricycles, made of Iron. It is still visible on the major auction ( sold ) site if you do a search, I was asking $1000. And truthfully, this hobby is based a lot on personal loves, opinions, and fond memories, so even compromising that the bicycle was normal weight amongst its piers, personal perception weighs ( no pun intended ) for alot of credibility, sometimes even equal to or stronger than fact. To all be safe. A few minutes later, its kind of similar to this photo of katiesmalls, I tell her she is just a full round ebony queen, like Oprah, or Al Sharpton, but, she really is H E A V Y, ( she can't spell ) As was I in 1980, I am whitey, with local Chapter Hells Angels gentleman and still one of my best friends, and yes he can still, well whatever.
Attached Images
IMG_1473.jpg (47.5 KB, 291 views)
DSCN9240.jpg (102.1 KB, 295 views)
IMG_1525.jpg (7.6 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by Katiesmalls; 02-02-15 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 06:29 PM
Katiesmalls
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found it Woohoo

I know it wasn't a mirage, it was really really here. Come Back Shane
Attached Images
DSCN8463.jpg (58.7 KB, 318 views)
Old 02-13-15, 04:55 PM
velofinds

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Old 02-13-15, 06:35 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Nice Pista

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-14-15, 08:23 PM
velofinds

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Nice Pista
Thanks!
Old 02-16-15, 11:29 AM
Salubrious

Here's my Bianchi- I've been harboring this a few years. Its equipped with a Campy Valentino on the rear with a Gran Sport-style on the front. Campy hubs; I replaced the Campy Quill pedals seen here to make it easier for my GF as its actually her ride. The original Nervar Sport crank has been upgraded to an alloy Nervar; the original suffered a broken BB spindle. Rims are Mavic 'module E2' and the spokes are double-butted. Despite all that I think its a gas pipe frame but it sure rides nice! I gave it some wider gears to handle the hills in the area. Brakes are/were Universal 55s with Modello levers; I broke down and put a Tecktro on the rear which really helped out. I have the matching celeste air pump which didn't make it into the photo.

Attached Images
Bianchi.jpg (97.6 KB, 1167 views)
Old 02-16-15, 04:35 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Great looking Bianchi.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-16-15, 11:01 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
My Bianchi...

I thought the strong shadow would be "artsy", but it just turned out to be really busy. I know the clipless pedals let it down but I'm not riding toe straps anymore.
Old 02-17-15, 10:22 AM
Salubrious

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Great looking Bianchi.
Thanks! I would love to find out more about this machine. I am thinking its a mid-line bike but it rides better than a TI framed bike I had (took it apart last year) and it gives my Paramount a run for the money.
Old 02-27-15, 12:10 PM
packardbell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-27-15, 01:12 PM
bumbles

Bikes: '02 Waterford RS-11 & 85' Colnago Superissimo, '99 LeMond Tourmalet, '97 Trek 470

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the word with that BBS dished multi-piecer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.