Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New? Schwinn Varsity???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New? Schwinn Varsity???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 03:11 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
New? Schwinn Varsity???

Is the New Schwinn Varsity Better or Worse Than a GMC Denali?

​​​​​​Anyone try one? Even as a joke? There is one near me that needs a new rear tube for starters. Asking $75 but I'm sure he'd take $50 if I offered. Thought it might be an ok sub 20 mile bike or maybe for 12-14 mile rides with the local club.
Aluminum frame at least....
Old 04-12-23, 07:31 PM
marathon marke

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Is the New Schwinn Varsity Better or Worse Than a GMC Denali?

​​​​​​Anyone try one? Even as a joke? There is one near me that needs a new rear tube for starters. Asking $75 but I'm sure he'd take $50 if I offered. Thought it might be an ok sub 20 mile bike or maybe for 12-14 mile rides with the local club.
Aluminum frame at least....
I have no idea what the new Varsity is like, but I would almost bet rgat it's got to be a better bike than the Denali. Unless there's a newer version of the Denali, those things used to come with split handlebars rhatcwere kept together with 2 shims that were clamped in the handlebar stem. That design has to be the winner for the most dangerous accident waiting to happen.
Old 04-12-23, 08:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Had a ‘69 brown Varsity that I rode until 1982. That heavy beast had 10s of thousands of miles on it when it was done. I used it as a commuter bike to get to school, college and work. It was always dependable no matter how abused or neglected. It was more of an appliance than a pleasure bike. Seldom did anything more with it than commute. Luckily I was young and strong then and could power that thing.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-13-23, 06:06 AM
RoadWearier

Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by marathon marke
I have no idea what the new Varsity is like, but I would almost bet rgat it's got to be a better bike than the Denali. Unless there's a newer version of the Denali, those things used to come with split handlebars rhatcwere kept together with 2 shims that were clamped in the handlebar stem. That design has to be the winner for the most dangerous accident waiting to happen.
Yeah those shifters didn't make much sense. Would stem shifters REALLY been that much more expensive?
Old 04-13-23, 07:36 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Had a ‘69 brown Varsity that I rode until 1982. That heavy beast had 10s of thousands of miles on it when it was done. I used it as a commuter bike to get to school, college and work. It was always dependable no matter how abused or neglected. It was more of an appliance than a pleasure bike. Seldom did anything more with it than commute. Luckily I was young and strong then and could power that thing.
I commuted on a used '80s blue Varsity I picked up for $20. All 38 lbs of it--more than the tandem I bought a few years later. I had a 6.5 mile commute. Half a mile from home on one of them, there was a "ping!!!" and the rear got a little wobbly. I figured a broken spoke. Three miles later, another "ping!!!" and even more wobble. The brakes weren't rubbing so I pushed on as I really needed to get to work.

Once there, I did a quick check: all rear spokes were fine. The axle had snapped. I did catch a ride home that day...
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 04-13-23, 07:45 AM
marathon marke

Bikes: Felt F65, Trek FX 7.3, Centurion Professional

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yeah those shifters didn't make much sense. Would stem shifters REALLY been that much more expensive?
Oh yes, I had forgotten about those crazy shifters.
But my original reply wasn't about the shifters, but SHIMS that were used to splice the two halves of the handlebars together. The manufacturer most likely did this so they could compact the parts as much as possible for shipping. But this seperation of the two halves is a very dangerous design, not only because that's that point of the highest stress of the bars, but also because if it wasn't assembled properly (AND checked regularly for tightness), the bars could easily split in two at a moment when someone is riding hard, like in a sprint out of the saddle.
Old 04-13-23, 08:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If you are riding up quite a few hills you might have to expend more energy to keep up with the group. But even if this was the 46 pound 1979 Schwinn Varsity that I use to have, then it's doable for just a 20 mile ride and especially for just 12 mile rides.

How much does the new Schwinn Varsity with aluminum frame weigh? The 3 x 7 gearing will have you shifting the front often to stay in the correct ratio for the terrain conditions. But at $50, it'll be a good enough bike to get some experience on so you can figure out what you really want.
Old 04-13-23, 09:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
This is like asking if Bud Light is better or worse than Miller Lite.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-13-23, 10:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Speaking of the original shift levers, I remember many a time getting out of the saddle to sprint or climb and knocking one of the shift levers with my knees and inadvertently changing gears. Quite the design. And then there was those auxiliary brake levers running parallel to the bars, which were a joke. A dangerous joke.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-13-23, 11:23 AM
Koyote

And then there was those auxiliary brake levers running parallel to the bars, which were a joke. A dangerous joke.
Dangerous? How?
Old 04-13-23, 11:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Speaking of the original shift levers, I remember many a time getting out of the saddle to sprint or climb and knocking one of the shift levers with my knees and inadvertently changing gears. Quite the design. And then there was those auxiliary brake levers running parallel to the bars, which were a joke. A dangerous joke.
Turkey legs is what I always heard them called. However I think they were properly called "safety levers" At least by some selling them. Though the only thing safe about them was they did let you start braking sooner. If you wanted to stop quickly however you needed to change hand position on the bars to grab the proper brake levers.

The "new" Schwinn Varsity should have a more proper... but older style STI on it. So one should either be on the hoods or the drops and not the bar or the drops as we were in the time before STI's or whatever the other brands called them.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-13-23 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 11:33 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Koyote
Dangerous? How?
Ineffective. I guess they had 75% less efficiency than the regular brake levers they would press. Don’t ask for an exact amount since I seriously doubt stats exist. That was MY impression.

Koyote, see Iride01 above too

Last edited by rsbob; 04-13-23 at 11:36 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-13-23, 11:42 AM
Koyote

Ineffective. I guess they had 75% less efficiency than the regular brake levers they would press. Don’t ask for an exact amount since I seriously doubt stats exist. That was MY impression.

Koyote, see Iride01 above too
Eh. They worked fine, for their intended use, since they were mechanically connected to the brake levers -- in fact, pulling up on the safety levers just pushed the actual brake levers inward. If there was a limitation, it was due to leverage...But that was hardly the Varsity's biggest problem.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-13-23, 12:24 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Eh. They worked fine, for their intended use, since they were mechanically connected to the brake levers -- in fact, pulling up on the safety levers just pushed the actual brake levers inward. If there was a limitation, it was due to leverage...But that was hardly the Varsity's biggest problem.
On the Schwinn Varsity the safety levers did not pull the real brake lever all the way to the bars.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 04-13-23, 01:44 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I presume you're referring to the ~$250 Wally World special Schwinn Varsity that's available today, rather than the old Varsity of two generations ago?

I don't see detailed specs, or even close up pictures, but having worked at bike shops in the past, and handled a fair amount of entry level machinery, here's my two cents: An entry level bike, be it a $250 big box bike or a $300 bike shop bike, is likely to have fairly similar componentry (GMC Denali's weird handlebar notwithstanding). One big difference is the level of care in assembly once it arrives to the store. If you're able to do your own wrenching on the gears, brakes, etc, you can assemble a perfectly serviceable around-town bike:
- Make sure you tighten down all the bolts - even crank bolts sometimes show up loose, and big box stores won't take the time to check
- Wheels might be poorly tensioned - hit a curb the wrong way and you could taco a lot more easily than you'd expect. So have a spoke wrench handy.
- Be prepared for alignment/facing to be less than optimal - your wheels may have to be a tiny bit cockeyed in their dropouts to run straight. If this happened at the shop, we'd straighten the frame with a big rod.

Assuming you can build up a boxed bike reasonably, and there's no insanely poor component choices, then my last recommendation would be to swap in some half-decent kevlar bead tires. My wife's REI hybrid came with 40mm wire bead Kendas that were nearly 900g per tire - the bike was much more enjoyable when I swapped those out to ~300g 32mm Panaracers. Even comparably sized Kevlar bead tires would have saved 400g per wheel, but my wife doesn't really leave the pavement.
Old 04-14-23, 06:51 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Had a ‘69 brown Varsity that I rode until 1982. ...[snip]... I used it as a commuter bike to get to school, college and work. It was always dependable no matter how abused or neglected. It was more of an appliance than a pleasure bike. Seldom did anything more with it than commute.
Same here, except mine was a yellow 1970 Varsity Sport that I rode until 1983. And I probably would have ridden it longer, except that Stephen Herrick (my drummer's roommate) "borrowed" it one night and never returned it. :angryface: FU, Steve.
Old 04-14-23, 07:56 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I presume you're referring to the ~$250 Wally World special Schwinn Varsity that's available today, rather than the old Varsity of two generations ago?
This is what a big box (Pacific) Varsity looked like around 2015 - Flat bar aluminum with probably Shimano Tourney shifters.

Old 04-14-23, 09:50 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
I rode my first century in 1974 on a used Varsity. Stripped it down and had it painted at Earl Scheib when they had a car already being painted in my chosen color. I called it the Competition model. I wore a T shirt and jean cutoff shorts.
Likes For bblair:
Old 04-14-23, 11:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by bblair
I rode my first century in 1974 on a used Varsity. Stripped it down and had it painted at Earl Scheib when they had a car already being painted in my chosen color. I called it the Competition model. I wore a T shirt and jean cutoff shorts.
Ah yes, I too rode wearing cutoffs and a T shirt. I stripped mine down for paint and due to some issue with the seat post or the seat, it never got reassembled.

Old 04-14-23, 11:07 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by marathon marke
Unless there's a newer version of the Denali, those things used to come with split handlebars rhatcwere kept together with 2 shims that were clamped in the handlebar stem. That design has to be the winner for the most dangerous accident waiting to happen.
My Bike Friday uses a similar system with the separate left & right bar segments held with a long sleeve compressed by the stem. Never had a bit of problem with it, but the sleeve is longer than that on the Denali.

At the co-op, we were dissecting a dessicated Denali and were curious if the twist shifters would fit standard road bars. Alas, the Denali used the 22.2 flat bar diameter in a road bar bend, so nope.
Old 04-14-23, 11:12 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 835 Posts
I did my first century in 1980 on a Varsity whose frame was 2" too tall for me. But it was the only bike I had at the time, so I rode it.

Not long after, I was drafting a city bus with the Varsity and forgot to brake. That big sombrero-wearing Phoenix Transit logo was smiling as I smashed into the rear of the bus just below the logo. Fortunately, the bus was not destroyed. The Varsity, of course, was unscathed.

Not long after that I put my first 'real' road bicycle (a Centurion Super Elite) on layaway. But I had to ride that dang Varsity for several months while I made the payments on the Centurion.
Old 04-15-23, 05:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
If the choice is between a Denali or modern varsity whatever that might be run don't walk to the nearest exit while screaming fire. I would never put money towards a used BSO unless scrap metal prices were so through the roof that I could really make some bank on it.
Old 04-15-23, 08:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

What I used to say about myVarsity is that it was so stout it would out live me.

Old 04-17-23, 07:06 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I wrench for a local bicycle charity group. We give bikes to needy people locally and we're the local collection point for Bikes For The World. Needless to say, we see several late model Varsity and Denali bikes come to us via our donations and I've worked on most of them. The items to check to see if it's a better model include the brakes, the fork and shifters/handlebars. The nicer riding models have a steel fork not aluminum. Sadly, Schwinn and Denali have resurrected the old design single pivot caliper brakes, and they're not the quality Shimano would have turned out back in the 80s. The better models have ProMax or generic dual pivot brakes. While a new owner might have to toe in the pads, these brakes are substantially better, especially under hard braking. This is a serious safety factor not to be taken lightly. Finally, there's the shifter/handlebar situation. The Rev shifters used on some of these bikes can not be laced onto a drop bar. So the manufacturer uses a steel, two part bars with a sleeve to keep them from separating during a ride. Other than the obvious weight penalty, there's not much difference between these shifters and the SIS stem shifters found on the bikes that don't use Rev shifters.
As was said before, go over any Schwinn Varsity or Denali road bike you're thinking of riding. Tighten all bolts and check the wheels, crank and headset for tightness.