Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sekai Bicycle Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sekai Bicycle Database

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 06:48 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 191 Posts
Georgena Terry Agrees with your assessment

Originally Posted by Hummer
Thank-you for posting the Sekai serial number and the very interesting comments from Georgena Terry.

Here are my comments on the serial number. Norco and the Fiori brands had several models of bicycles with serial numbers that began with the letter "K", so I am not suprised to see a Sekai model with the same format of serial number. I think that you have determined the correct date of frame manufacture as 1987.

The comments that you have so graciously provided from Georgena Terry have prompted me to do some research.

If your Sekai was manufactured to be a Terry Presision bicycle in 1987/1988, then which Terry model would it be?

For those years and manufactured in Japan I am thinking the Despatch or Symmetry models.

The "K" serial number is not consistent with any Terry models that I have seen, including Despatch and Symmetry models.

The Sekai Lady Sport frame is Tange Infinity, while Terry models from Japan tended to be Tange 1 or Tange 2. Later frames of the Symmetry model were Tange Infinity.

The Sekai Lady Sport fork crown and dropouts are different from the Terry models.

The Sekai Lady Sport seat stay does not have brazeons for rear rack mounting which Terry models have.

In short, I think the Sekai Lady Sport was a Norco designed frame made in Japan by the Japanese manufacturer that Norco had contracted.

Although the Sekai Lady Sport frame and features are similar to Terry models, there are too many things that point to this frame not being for Terry Precision.

I am skeptical that this frame was originally intended to be a Terry branded bicycle.

The Sekai Lady Sport is still a very nice piece of work.
She may have been a bit circumspect, but I think Georgena Terry was saying the design was like her bikes but it was not manufactured for her. I’m sure this bike was manufactured to Norco specs and sold as a Sekai. Georgena Terry did not have intellectual property ownership over the design of the bike and the cycling industry recognized the market appeal of this design (popularized at that time by GT) and ran with it. While H. Tano was making bikes for her, on order, there was nothing stopping them (or others) from tweaking the design and finding a market for similar frames with other distributors, like Norco. While I’m not certain the Ladysport was made by H. Tano, there is a good chance it was made by them for Norco, given Georgena’s remarks about design details she associated with H. Tano as a builder.
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 02-19-24, 01:13 PM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 84 Posts
Here's a frame I picked up last year but haven't done anything with it yet. Not much of a mystery to its identification as I'm pretty sure it's a 1976 Sekai Competition, which if I recall correctly wasn't really a race bike, but more of a sport tourer style of bike. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The seller said he thought that the fork had taken a shunt at some point, which upon examination looks possible. What do you experts say? Crash damage or minor manufacturing flaw? If it is destroyed, it would be a shame really as the fork still has this cool SKV decal on both legs. The frame itself doesn't seem to shown any signs of damage and is pretty well preserved, and as a bonus seems to have originated from the famed Yellow Jersey bike shop. I wonder if they have any Sekai forks in stock?

Anyways, thought I'd post here to add another to the database. Let me know what you crash damage experts think of the fork.

And a few of the fork in question:

Likes For Maxey:
Old 04-26-24, 02:29 PM
Messix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hs any one seen or heard of a Sekai BMX frame and fork from the late 1970s 1980s?
Old 04-26-24, 03:19 PM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

There's one on ebay right now for the princely asking price of $2,500.

Old School BMX SEKAI F/F 20''made in japan 1983 | eBay
Old 04-26-24, 03:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Messix
Hs any one seen or heard of a Sekai BMX frame and fork from the late 1970s 1980s?
https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/sekai/
Old 04-26-24, 03:40 PM
Messix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one that I rode back in 1979ish
Old 04-26-24, 03:41 PM
Messix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does not have a serial number
Old 04-26-24, 03:42 PM
Messix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told that it was a proto type. Sorry for the short posts. Trying to get post numbers up so I can post pictures of it
Old 04-26-24, 03:48 PM
Messix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won it at a pnw regional race in Tacoma wa. The shop that provided it was called velocipide bike shop in Seattle.
Old 04-26-24, 03:58 PM
Maxey

5 posts, you're halfway there!