Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

First Gravel ride - Tire Question

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24, 05:05 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

I’ll be doing my first organized Gravel ride in March and have a question about tire size. I have a Giant Revolt Advanced 0, and can mount up to 53mm tires. I currently have WTB Byway Road 700x40 as I ride almost exclusively on pavement. The gravel ride will be 49 miles and about 3000’ elevation. Nothing technical, just regular gravel. Would I be better served with larger more gravel focused tires? FWIW, I’m a Clydesdale ( 275lbs ). Would I notice much of a comfort difference from 40mm to 45mm? I was looking at the Kenda Alluvium GCT 700x45, which would be more a gravel tire than I have now.

Any other ideas? I want to run them tubeless and while I have heard great things about the Panaracer Gravelkings, I’ve also heard A LOT about how they are a PITA to mount tubeless.

Any input?

Last edited by Glenn6870; 01-12-24 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-12-24, 09:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
I just moved away from Gravel King SS 43mm tires after 3+ years of use. They have been incredibly reliable and roll fast for the surface type and mix that I ride.
...but they were an infuriating experience to mount each time I had to do it. Luckily that's like 0.0000003 of my life. But yeah, it's infuriating.

Why don't you start riding some gravel now and see how you like the tires you have? Then change tread/width/quality if you don't like something about your current setup.
Seems better to go into a purchase with actual feedback.

As for general comments...
- your tire width is very common for gravel riding. If you go wider, sure a 43-45 may help with comfort.
- tire construction, quality, and weight are very real. A 40mm tire can feel like hell and it isn't the width, it'd the thick sidewalls and hard cading. Meanwhile, that width may be great and you just need a better quality tire in that width.
- the Byway is a very general all around mixed surface tire. Not much tread and that's fine for most gravel riding where width is more important than tread. Something high quality and fast rolling will probably be better than heavy and significantly treaded, based on your description. Guessing though.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-13-24, 09:51 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I have logged thousands of miles on 40mm gravel tires. You're fine with what you have. Go have a good time!!
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 01-13-24, 01:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I just moved away from Gravel King SS 43mm tires after 3+ years of use. They have been incredibly reliable and roll fast for the surface type and mix that I ride.
...but they were an infuriating experience to mount each time I had to do it. Luckily that's like 0.0000003 of my life. But yeah, it's infuriating.

Why don't you start riding some gravel now and see how you like the tires you have? Then change tread/width/quality if you don't like something about your current setup.
Seems better to go into a purchase with actual feedback.

As for general comments...
- your tire width is very common for gravel riding. If you go wider, sure a 43-45 may help with comfort.
- tire construction, quality, and weight are very real. A 40mm tire can feel like hell and it isn't the width, it'd the thick sidewalls and hard cading. Meanwhile, that width may be great and you just need a better quality tire in that width.
- the Byway is a very general all around mixed surface tire. Not much tread and that's fine for most gravel riding where width is more important than tread. Something high quality and fast rolling will probably be better than heavy and significantly treaded, based on your description. Guessing though.
I agree with all of the above. No need to shell out $$$ when you've already got good all-rounder tires on the bike.

If you do decide to move up in size, go to at least 45mm for a noticeable difference. Also, after your first event (or two) you will know whether you want smoother or knobbier tread.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-13-24, 03:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I just moved away from Gravel King SS 43mm tires after 3+ years of use.
I have the same tire in that size, they are very nice tires to ride on asphalt. They also perform very well on dirt, surprisingly grippy. If you choose to upgrade, this is a good tire,
Likes For Steve B.: