Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Loud Bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Loud Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 05:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Loud Bikes

Sup guys, do any of you feel self conscious riding a loud bicycle around other people? My road bike’s drivechain is very loud, and has gotten louder since a bikestore related mishap resulted in it having a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifters. I just got it evaluated by another bike store, which said the chain is stretched well beyond when it should have been replaced, and both the cassette and chainrings show enough wear that they should be replaced with the chain. Pretty much I’m looking at replacing tons of stuff on the bike if I want to fix the noise (it shifts and runs beautifully otherwise, doesn’t take many watts to make a loud noise.)

My main problem is on group rides I feel like people judge a loud bike. Last week I went on one, and someone mentioned how loud my bike was and it didn’t feel great. Part of me thinks this is classist, not everyone can afford a silent bike that doesn’t click and crunch. The chain won’t drop so I don’t think it’s a safety concern. Separately, some fancy bikes have super loud hubs, and people don’t seem embarrassed to ride those. Is the purpose of the loud hubs so you don’t coast? My bike makes more noise when I’m pedaling than when I’m coasting. I like to wear headphones when riding alone so I don’t have to listen to it, loud bikes are mildly triggering.
Old 07-19-23, 05:49 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I am embarrassed when I’ve got ticks, clicks, squeaks and creaks riding in a group.
Old 07-19-23, 06:23 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I'm not sure of your financial situation, but a new 8-speed cassette and chain should not be very expensive. An 8-speed Shimano cassette on Nashbar is about $24, and you can get a new chain for close to $10. New chainrings can be found for close to $10 also, depending on which ones you get. You might even be able to go cheaper on eBay NOS items or Alibaba. But I would think there is a good chance you might not need new chainrings. If the noise is so loud that it bothers you when you ride alone, I think it's well past time for some replacement parts. In the meantime, I personally probably would avoid the group rides.
Old 07-19-23, 06:39 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
I never ride a loud or ticking or creaking bike, because I take very good care of my bikes and always ensure they're running smoothly. Any noises that arise are quicky taken care of.

And yes, loud hubs aside, I absolutely judge anyone who has an unnecessarily noisy or poorly maintained bike.
Old 07-19-23, 06:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Just hand out cotton balls before every ride. It's what the pros do.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-19-23, 06:42 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I am embarrassed when I’ve got ticks, clicks, squeaks and creaks riding in a group.
Me too. And if my bike makes noise it is even worse.

Old 07-19-23, 06:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It doesn't have to be expensive to have a quiet bike. In fact, it's less expensive. Do almost all of your own work. Buy a work stand, cassette tool, torque wrench, a metric socket set, Allen wrenches, etc. Use a tape measure for chain stretch. Yes, there's an initial outlay, but then you have total control over your bike and almost no more bike shop expenses. If it's not right, it's your fault. It's amazing how responsibility creates change.

The only problems I've had with cassettes have been bike shop errors. Once I started doing that too, no more problems.

Yeah, I don't like riding a noisy bike either. So mine is never noisy. It's not all that complicated. One of the wonderful things about bicycles is how simple they are.
Old 07-19-23, 07:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Me too. And if my bike makes noise it is even worse.
I feel ya, bro.
Old 07-19-23, 09:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Sup guys, do any of you feel self conscious riding a loud bicycle around other people? My road bike’s drivechain is very loud, and has gotten louder since a bikestore related mishap resulted in it having a 9 speed cassette with 8 speed shifters. I just got it evaluated by another bike store, which said the chain is stretched well beyond when it should have been replaced, and both the cassette and chainrings show enough wear that they should be replaced with the chain. Pretty much I’m looking at replacing tons of stuff on the bike if I want to fix the noise (it shifts and runs beautifully otherwise, doesn’t take many watts to make a loud noise.)

My main problem is on group rides I feel like people judge a loud bike. Last week I went on one, and someone mentioned how loud my bike was and it didn’t feel great. Part of me thinks this is classist, not everyone can afford a silent bike that doesn’t click and crunch. The chain won’t drop so I don’t think it’s a safety concern. Separately, some fancy bikes have super loud hubs, and people don’t seem embarrassed to ride those. Is the purpose of the loud hubs so you don’t coast? My bike makes more noise when I’m pedaling than when I’m coasting. I like to wear headphones when riding alone so I don’t have to listen to it, loud bikes are mildly triggering.
To recap-
- you find loud bikes to be mildly triggering.
- you feel like when someone else comments on your loud bike, they are being classist.
- your bike is loud because of incompatible drivetrain speeds.
- your incompatible drivetrain shifts beautifully.

Just want to make recap this since your comments so clearly conflict. Your comments are as incompatible as your mixed up drivetrain components.
Old 07-19-23, 09:29 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
My leather saddle squeaks with every turn of the cranks. Annoying. Maybe I'll do something about it. Probably not.
Old 07-19-23, 09:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
My name is RSbob and I have a loud hub. I’m not proud or embarrassed or Catholic.

I find it gets pedestrians on MUPs out of my way without a word.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-19-23, 09:46 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I ride solo and get self conscious just passing someone on the sidewalk if my bike is making sounds. Main thing I have an issue with is squeaky cleats and have to remember to grease the pedal contact point about every week or two.

I'd say the sounds that my bike make, that bother me, are the ones related to maintenance. I've got some medium depth carbon rims on one bike. They make a noticeable sound, this doesn't bother me because it's just what deeper carbon rims sound like.

Disc brake rub, even if very slight bugs me. That of course can be corrected. Same with any sort of adjustment issue with derailleurs. But, I've noticed if I'm in a gear with a very straight chain line, I tend to hear more chain noises. Nothing to be done about that. Though maybe related to chain wear.

I occasionally come across other riders who seem to be serious riders, full kit, nice bike, and are riding fast. Yet their bike sounds like it hasn't been lubed in years and has been left out in the rain with the amount of squeaking I hear. Of course, it could just be I crossed paths with them on a bad day when a squeak developed and they just have to tough out the ride cringing at the sound they are making.

Of course, there are the very casual cyclist that I think literally haven't lubed their bike in years and do leave it outside in the elements. They seem to be oblivious to the sounds they are making. The bike moves, there's some air in the tires, the chain goes round, brakes may even work. So, they're good to go.
Old 07-19-23, 11:09 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
If your bike had a loudspeaker that constantly played an audio recording of a human voice shouting "I belong to an incompetent, lazy, or careless person!" you would be embarrassed to be seen on it, wouldn't you? When a bike has been neglected and isn't in good running order, the squeaks and grinding noises that come from it are saying exactly that in the machine's own voice.
Old 07-20-23, 03:13 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
The best solution to a loud drive train:
https://www.turbospoke.com
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-20-23, 06:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Loud bikes save lives.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-20-23, 06:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
my bike is quiet... but I fart, burp and groan during group rides.
Old 07-20-23, 06:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Noise Annoys.

Cue up some classic Buzzcocks.

Old 07-20-23, 08:53 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Sometimes I encounter another rider with a loud drivetrain--typically just needs some chain lube or maybe a derailleur adjustment--and it makes me cringe a little. I don't judge the rider, more like pity him/her. I want to say, "You know, that's pretty easy to fix. If you come by my place, I'll help you with it." Of course I don't actually say anything.

Larry, if it bothers you, you should save up some money and get it fixed. If you don't mind it, then disregard what others may be thinking. Goodness knows you've not been too sensitive to social norms in other aspects of your riding habits.
Old 07-20-23, 09:00 AM
dkoernert

Bikes: 1999 Klein Quantum Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I showed up to a group ride once with my valve stem rattling a little bit. The guy leading the ride rode up to me on the warmup and said, "Don't ever show up to my ride with a noisy bike again, put some tape on that valve stem." Since then, I've always paid way more attention
Old 07-20-23, 09:05 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by dkoernert
I showed up to a group ride once with my valve stem rattling a little bit. The guy leading the ride rode up to me on the warmup and said, "Don't ever show up to my ride with a noisy bike again, put some tape on that valve stem." Since then, I've always paid way more attention
If that happened to me, I think that would have been my last time riding with that group.
Old 07-20-23, 09:38 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
My main problem is on group rides I feel like people judge a loud bike. Last week I went on one, and someone mentioned how loud my bike was and it didn’t feel great. Part of me thinks this is classist, not everyone can afford a silent bike that doesn’t click and crunch.
Excessive/abnormal noise are often indications that something is broken in some way and more prone to fail.

It's a constant reminder of you being a potential liability to the group and other riders.

This is basic stuff. You should have learned about that within a month of riding with a group. Yet, years, later you are still here.

...not everyone can afford a silent bike that doesn’t click and crunch.
It seems you spend enough money on useless crap (like those wheels) that it wouldn't be too hard to ride a bike that makes a reasonable amount of noise.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-20-23 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-20-23, 09:40 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
If that happened to me, I think that would have been my last time riding with that group.
I might have said something rude to him.
Old 07-20-23, 09:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I'd show up at subsequent rides with a bunch of loose aluminum tires levers inside a seat bag.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-20-23, 09:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'd show up at subsequent rides with a bunch of loose aluminum tires levers inside a seat bag.
One of the guys who was a regular on our C&V rides tends to bring a tool bag full of loose tools that rattle and jingle as he rides. Since they usually have me lead, I use the sound to tell me when everyone's caught up.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-20-23, 10:23 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
My name is RSbob and I have a loud hub. I’m not proud or embarrassed or Catholic.

I find it gets pedestrians on MUPs out of my way without a word.
I have no problem with loud hubs. One of the sounds of cycling (to me) is the buzz of a high-quality freehub operating properly. I have a silent hub on my MTB. It's weird to coast in silence. I was riding with a buddy, and he kept looking back to see if I was still following him because he couldn't hear me.

The noise of a worn or poorly-adjusted drivetrain is different. It's a sign of malfunction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.