Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this Rim Safe?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is this Rim Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 06:03 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Is this Rim Safe?

Hi all,
I have gotten several flats with this wheel and so decided to investigate the rim more closely thinking maybe there is a sharp edge inside somewhere. I took the tire/tube off and noticed the rim tape was not on straight and so not fully covering the spoke holes and thought this was the issue. I removed the old rim tape and planned to replace it but discovered this sharp protruding edge at the point where the two ends of the rim join together. Can I just file this sharp edge down flush with the inner rim surface or is this rim not safe and not salvageable? The outside rim braking surfaces are smooth with no gaps or cracks.

Old 10-29-23, 06:12 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
If you are asking about the seam, then yes. I'm not a fan of C&V hookless clinchers, but with the proper tire, it's fine.
Old 10-29-23, 06:22 PM
Kars 

Originally Posted by wheelreason
If you are asking about the seam, then yes. I'm not a fan of C&V hookless clinchers, but with the proper tire, it's fine.
So you are saying it is ok to carefulky file or sand the sharp edge down at the inside seam , correct? Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-29-23, 06:31 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Kars
So you are saying it is ok to carefulky file or sand the sharp edge down at the inside seam , correct? Thanks for your advice.
No, I am saying use as is.
Old 10-29-23, 06:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The seam looks pretty typical and if the rim strip covers it I would have no concerns.

IIRC this rim does have rim bead hooks. What it doesn't have are the bead seating shelf and dropped center well that are more common these days. Andy
Old 10-29-23, 06:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
If you have anything sticking up and cutting the tape, by all means file it down. Just don't get aggressive and file beyond the inside channel (or extension of the channel at the gaps at the joint). Don't remove material to pretty up those gaps. They are fine. The rim is under close to pure compression there and the gaps don't hurt anything as long as they have rim tape stretched over them.
Old 10-30-23, 07:52 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Yes, you can certainly file the joint smoother if it helps you sleep at night

However, it won't make a difference unless the punctures are located there. Obviously, a burr opposite the valve can't cause a puncture elsewhere.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-30-23, 05:01 PM
Kars 

It is hard to show what it feels like in the picture but it actually sticks up quite a but from the surface and has a sharp edge to it. Thanks to all who have replied here. I will carefully file it smooth to at least remove the sharp edge. Something had caused all the flat tires I got with this wheel. It was either this or the fact that the original rim tape did not cover all spoke holes.After smoothing it out I will apply new rim tape.
Old 10-30-23, 05:11 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Kinda kooks to me like the seam has cracked in the rim channel.
Old 10-30-23, 05:11 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i might take a minute to de-burr it, but filing it smooth isn't needed.. it's a high spot in the weld job... smooth it a bit and ride it.
Old 10-30-23, 05:21 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
You may have luck with some emory cloth (like sandpaper for metal) and sand it, or dremel carefully.
Old 10-30-23, 05:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Something had caused all the flat tires I got with this wheel. It was either this or the fact that the original rim tape did not cover all spoke holes.After smoothing it out I will apply new rim tape.
Here's a hint that may help solve a riddle, or show that there isn't one.

Either mount the tire with a reference lined up at the valve, or use a pen to make a reference there.

Then if you get a cut on the tread side, note and mark the tire there. For a cut on the rim side mark the rim.

This way you'll know if something is causing repeat flats, or they're random, unrelated events.

Note, rim side flats within an inch on either side of the valve usually have a unique cause specific to that location.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-30-23, 05:25 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
It is hard to show what it feels like in the picture but it actually sticks up quite a but from the surface and has a sharp edge to it. Thanks to all who have replied here. I will carefully file it smooth to at least remove the sharp edge. Something had caused all the flat tires I got with this wheel. It was either this or the fact that the original rim tape did not cover all spoke holes.After smoothing it out I will apply new rim tape.
I can see what you are talking about. Yes, simply remove that sharp point, then replace the rim tape.
Old 10-30-23, 07:59 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wheel usable?

Hi all,
I have gotten several flats with this wheel and so decided to investigate the rim more closely thinking maybe there is a sharp edge inside somewhere. I took the tire/tube off and noticed the rim tape was not on straight and so not fully covering the spoke holes and thought this was the issue. I removed the old rim tape and planned to replace it but discovered this sharp protruding edge at the point where the two ends of the rim join together. Can I just file this sharp edge down flush with the inner rim surface or is this rim not safe and not salvageable? The outside rim braking surfaces are smooth with no gaps or cracks.

I think a new rim would be the best insurance. I assume the rim is Al. Split rim = grain boundary formation. Ckuck it.
Old 10-30-23, 09:40 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Rim tape comes in 2 widths, I always found the narrow one that just barely covered the spokes holes didn't really once you installed and inflated the tire. Using the 16mm often completely filled the bottom from edge to edge and left nothing exposed, helped to reduce the number of punctures.

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Kinda kooks to me like the seam has cracked in the rim channel.
Nope, just not the best/prettiest weld job.

Originally Posted by Deanster04
I think a new rim would be the best insurance. I assume the rim is Al. Split rim = grain boundary formation. Ckuck it.
That's not a split, that's the seam where the two ends of the metal are joined. I'm going to guess from the look that the rim is initially pinned and than a quick weld on the inside to keep it from moving as extra insurance. That seam s readily available on lots of different rims and especially older rims since most were only pinned together and held just fine.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 10-31-23, 06:52 PM
Kars 

I filed the rough edge down last night. No issues with that at all. Before doing anything else I decided to put the wheel in the truing stand. I got the side to side pretty true but the radial trueness is not great and there is a slight hop at the seam joint. I will try and see if I can improve it some more. I rode this wheel before and did not notice any hop but it definately does not run as true as any of the other wheels that I own.
Old 10-31-23, 09:15 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Lots of pinned rims don't always spin out perfectly round near the seam, in most of the instances I can recall the seam stuck out more to be more like a hop and between a 1/4 and full turn tighter of the two spokes that flank it have been needed to bring it closer into round there. Pinned rims can also be slightly out of alignment there are well, this is one of the reasons rims went to milled sidewalls, braking is significantly improved but the seam is also milled smooth and flat in the process. My limited experience with Wolber is that they were decent but softer which made them more prone to moving with small tweaks and easy to over adjust so a little more care needed, but still a decent wheel when built, just finding the difference between new materials, construction and shapes vs. older designs.
Old 11-01-23, 08:21 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
It isn't terrible, but IMO it's done. It's a 50 year old antique wall art now. Ride a newer bike.
Old 11-01-23, 09:52 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that rim.
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-01-23, 07:38 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Rim tape comes in 2 widths.
Velox comes in 10 13 16 19 22 mm.
Old 11-01-23, 08:03 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by grumpus
Velox comes in 10 13 16 19 22 mm.
He didn't say ONLY 2 widths.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-01-23, 08:07 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
The seam looks typical. But anything sharp should be smoothed.

HOWEVER, that spoke hole on the right? MAJOR burr sticking up! I'd want to be sure to address that as well as all the other spoke holes. Emery cloth will work, but a Dremel will make much quicker and cleaner work of it. I'd use one of their steel cutting bits with really fine teeth. It will throw really tiny aluminum shards, so be sure to maybe use a vacuum to catch 'em all and be sure the rim is clear of them all. Careful they can stick in your skin too!

Big cause of repeated flats is sharp spoke hole edges and cheapo rim strips. Under high road tire pressure, cheapo rim strip (rubber, for example) gets pushed into the spoke hole, exposing the edges, flatting your tube. Replace rim strips quality alternatives like Velox.
Old 11-02-23, 12:08 PM
Kars 

Thanks to all for these interesting ,and helpful comments. Yes, for sure I also noticed the spoke holes have the sharp edges. They will get covered by rim tape but will take care of the burr first. I may end up using this wheel on the trainer only even though I think it will be OK. Will see.