Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 04:25 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,926 Times in 4,159 Posts
Hi! What’s this thread about?
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-01-21, 04:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by FireWaterBoy
Well, a few weeks ago someone I know got a 100euro fine for leaving the cycle lane briefly and going onto the road. I find it all a bit pathetic. The local mayor is promoting cycling and has built cycle lanes and the police are fining people for really silly things.
I think that cyclists need to organize and hire a lawyer .... or do citizen lobbying. if the mayor is really countenancing blatantly illegal ticketing, you can either pay up or fight back.

With the internet available, it is a lot easier to organize and mobilize than it used to be ... but you can also post fliers at bike shops and such, telling cyclists to get on a website and share ideas .... usually this sort of stuff (if it is on a small scale, like one city) can get sorted out if the victims make enough of an effort.

But ... that is an uninformed opinion. I am sure you can find a lot of info that pertains directly to the Spanish legal system and such ... I do not speak Spanish, sorry.
Old 11-01-21, 06:56 PM
JackieYan

Bikes: Merida Big Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by psystemupdate
just because its law don't mean it isn't stupid...do you really want to put full control of your life at the hands of strangers, especially with todays statistics about drivers distracted by phones? safety is shared when you can see them and they can see you.
I'm not sure if I can follow the logic of being distracted by phones.If a driver is distracted by a phone, then it wouldn't matter which direction you were coming from, you could still be hit?
Would you have time to cycle out of the way if you spotted an oncoming driver being distracted?

Having said that, I do remember as a kid in England being told at a road safety lecture, that in rural areas if there was no pavement (sidewalk) then you should walk in the road facing the oncoming traffic in order for you to see any oncoming vehicles.
I still do that out in the sticks here in Thailand where I live. I'm just not convinced that on a bicycle you could manoeuvre out of the way of an oncoming vehicle as easily as a pedestrian jumping into a hedge, for example.
Old 11-01-21, 07:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
To me, when driving or riding, being safe comes down to two things: Predictability and percentage risk. Of course I cannot control for factors outside one’s control, but I can control the amount of risk I am willing to take and part of that is being predictable to others.

Old 11-01-21, 08:06 PM
JackieYan

Originally Posted by robertAltman
What happens when you pass cyclists going with traffic? Now you have an extraordinarily dangerous situation with bikes going on two directions in the same “lane” AND cars potentially passing at the same time.

The OP might think this he is being smart, but he is just shifting the dangers into others.

I do like knowing where traffic is; I ride with a Garmin Varia radar. Many people use a bike-mounted or helmet mirror.

I’m not going to argue or be rude. It is unsafe and anti-social to ride against traffic. Do some reading at bicycle advocacy groups like bikemn.org.

Lastly, people aren’t correcting OP to be jerks; they are trying to keep the roads, riders, and OP safer.
I agree about knowing where the traffic is. I have a Blackburn handlebar mounted mirror. It is excellent for seeing the traffic behind you.

Unfortunately for me I was hit from the side by a car driver side-swiping me, even though I was in a motorbike/bicycle lane on a main road in Thailand. The car driver was distracted and wandered in to the cycle lane.
I ended up with a fractured spine and having to lie on my back for four months. It happened eight months ago and I've made a full recovery, and back on the bike.
Irony: The woman who hit me was a doctor 'in a rush' on her way to work at the local hospital.
Likes For JackieYan:
Old 11-01-21, 09:21 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
ever encountered people who yell at you to get on the correct side of the road when you choose to ride against traffic? There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
Does this logic apply to other traffic laws?
Old 11-01-21, 09:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
Does this logic apply to other traffic laws?
Sure. Stopping at red lights is discouraged, entering Wrong Way, Do Not Enter - is highly encouraged. And riding while drunk scores extra bonus points.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-02-21, 12:28 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by JackieYan
I agree about knowing where the traffic is. I have a Blackburn handlebar mounted mirror. It is excellent for seeing the traffic behind you.

Unfortunately for me I was hit from the side by a car driver side-swiping me, even though I was in a motorbike/bicycle lane on a main road in Thailand. The car driver was distracted and wandered in to the cycle lane.
I ended up with a fractured spine and having to lie on my back for four months. It happened eight months ago and I've made a full recovery, and back on the bike.
Irony: The woman who hit me was a doctor 'in a rush' on her way to work at the local hospital.
........and let me guess, it was probably your fault? 555 TIT
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 11-02-21, 12:51 AM
JackieYan

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I know what you mean!
Incredibly no. The doctor admitted she didn't see me as she was in a hurry. Her insurance paid for everything - no arguing.
Hospital three days, minor bike repairs, new spectacles as the old ones came off as I was flying through the air. Plus compensation.
Likes For JackieYan:
Old 11-02-21, 12:56 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I know what you mean!
Incredibly no. The doctor admitted she didn't see me as she was in a hurry. Her insurance paid for everything - no arguing.
Hospital three days, minor bike repairs, new spectacles as the old ones came off as I was flying through the air. Plus compensation.
Wow! Congrats on that! In my 35+ years in the LOS that usually doesn't happen that way.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 11-02-21, 02:07 AM
JackieYan

Wow! Congrats on that! In my 35+ years in the LOS that usually doesn't happen that way.
Eighteen years ago i was driving my pick-up home one night when a motorbike taxi pulled out in front of me and forced me to hit him.
He ended up being fined by the police and his bike impounded until he paid back my insurance company for the repairs. I know it doesn't happen often, but I've been lucky twice now in that respect.
Twelve years ago I was hit on my motorbike by another motorbike which knocked me under a passing pick-up. Neither of them stopped and a passer-by reported me to the police as a fatality, not a casualty.
Old 11-02-21, 04:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Eighteen years ago i was driving my pick-up home one night when a motorbike taxi pulled out in front of me and forced me to hit him.
He ended up being fined by the police and his bike impounded until he paid back my insurance company for the repairs. I know it doesn't happen often, but I've been lucky twice now in that respect.
Twelve years ago I was hit on my motorbike by another motorbike which knocked me under a passing pick-up. Neither of them stopped and a passer-by reported me to the police as a fatality, not a casualty.
No offense, but I am never riding with you.

Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-02-21, 09:00 AM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
just because its law don't mean it isn't stupid...do you really want to put full control of your life at the hands of strangers, especially with todays statistics about drivers distracted by phones? safety is shared when you can see them and they can see you.
No. I don't. I figure in the lane directly ahead of them is the best spot to be seen. As for me knowing about them. Cars are not silent. My ears have yet to fail to alert me to an approaching vehicle. Now if you are hard of hearing that may be a different thing. This is in the US though. Maybe different other places.

Last edited by tornado60; 11-02-21 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-02-21, 03:44 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
No offense, but I am never riding with you.

Or the motorbike taxi!
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 11-03-21, 04:31 AM
bike eagle
Banned.

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
11. Moose hogging the right lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1lBWlRbMc
What road is this in Colorado? I want to ride it!
Old 11-03-21, 08:17 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by sabele
I tell this folks that even they should be smart enough to figure out why a side walk is called a SIDE WALK.
Yet people drive on parkways and park in driveways. In some countries driving on the right is wrong.
No wonder everyone's confused....
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 11-03-21, 08:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hi! What’s this thread about?

Yes.
Old 11-03-21, 09:04 AM
AVolta

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Yelling is bad. Safety is good.

ever encountered people who yell at you to get on the correct side of the road when you choose to ride against traffic? There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
When a motorist sees that there is not enough room to pass a cyclist heading in the same direction, usually because of oncoming traffic, the driver can judge when and how much to slow down and pass when the traffic clears. If there is no room for the motorist to safely pass when the cyclist is heading towards the motorist, the motorist has no option other than to stop completely, endangering the motorist, the cyclist and traffic behind the motorist. In that case, however, the natural inclination for the motorist would not be to stop but to squeeze through, endangering the motorist, the cyclist and oncoming traffic.
Likes For AVolta:
Old 11-03-21, 09:39 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by AVolta
When a motorist sees that there is not enough room to pass a cyclist heading in the same direction, usually because of oncoming traffic, the driver can judge when and how much to slow down and pass when the traffic clears. If there is no room for the motorist to safely pass when the cyclist is heading towards the motorist, the motorist has no option other than to stop completely, endangering the motorist, the cyclist and traffic behind the motorist. In that case, however, the natural inclination for the motorist would not be to stop but to squeeze through, endangering the motorist, the cyclist and oncoming traffic.
This is about the best explanation so far. If the road is too narrow for safe overtaking and yet .... because I am riding Head-On Into Traffic, there is no way for traffic Not to overtake---I am putting myself at grave risk ....

....because we know that cars are going to hit a cyclist head-on before they go head-on into automobile traffic.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-03-21, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10426 Post(s)
Liked 11,900 Times in 6,095 Posts
Originally Posted by AVolta
Add to this the radical change in how long the driver has to react. I'm thinking of one road I both ride on and drive on. It's winding, with a slight descent in one direction. I can generally manage about 20-25 mph in the descending direction, and 14-17 in the ascending direction. The posted speed limit is 30. When driving, I'll often see cyclists in the same lane at least one turn ahead, so I can adjust my speed of approach. Downhill, closing speed is 5-10 mph. Uphill, 15 mph or so. I can slow down to the byclist's speed until there's a clear stretch to pass, and that's what most drivers do.

Now, if someone were on the wrong side, closing speed would be 50-55 while I'm on the uphill and about 45 on the downhill. I'd see them for the first time as I came around a corner. Let's say it's 50 yards between turns. With 55 mph closing speed (80 feet/second), I'd have a maximum of 2 seconds to react, but I might have essentially NO time, because we might meet mid-corner. By contrast, with a 15 mph closing speed (7 feet/second), I'd have 20 seconds to react.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-03-21, 03:40 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Brakes failed?
Old 11-04-21, 12:28 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by bike eagle
What road is this in Colorado? I want to ride it!
That was from the Crooked Gravel Ride/Race just outside of Winter Park.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-08-21, 12:26 PM
ckelly_22

Bikes: Giant Contend AR 4, Specialized Crossroads 2.0, Quintana Roo Kilo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
i saw this a lot last week when i was on vacation in florida, it was mostly people on rented bikes so i am guessing they didn't even know they were supposed to be going with the flow of traffic but man it was making my skin crawl. on the other hand my wife and i were walking to a restaurant one evening and there was a group of cyclist gathered on the sidewalk on their bikes having a conversation and blocking the sidewalk where people couldn't walk on it. i didn't think that was a good look for those of us that enjoy two wheels.
Old 11-08-21, 04:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by FireWaterBoy
Well, a few weeks ago someone I know got a 100euro fine for leaving the cycle lane briefly and going onto the road. I find it all a bit pathetic. The local mayor is promoting cycling and has built cycle lanes and the police are fining people for really silly things.
I'd pay the fine.

Then send the municipality a bill for 100€ for every piece of glass, nail, screw, or parked car you find in the bike lane.
Old 11-12-21, 09:32 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I think I saw this OP today. In my community there is a 4-lane undivided highway that you really only see bicycles on rarely. It’s dangerous. That’s because the road is just not conducive at all for bicycles. The posted speed limit is 30 mph (I think) but in reality everyone drives 45 mph or faster. The lanes are narrow. And, there is absolutely no shoulder. None. The white lines on the right side are right up again the curb. There isn’t a sidewalk. On those rare occasions that some unwitting bicyclist does ride on this road…it completely bottlenecks the traffic behind him. Today, I was driving down this road…and it was pouring down rain. At one point I noticed something up ahead on the other side of the road. There he was…a guy riding in the opposite direction…against oncoming traffic…on the worst road, in the worst conditions. It had to be our OP.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.