Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Enough Clearance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Enough Clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 08:52 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10246 Post(s)
Liked 5,204 Times in 2,232 Posts
Enough Clearance?

Mini van blew up a couple weeks ago, and the new car doesn’t have room for my bikes. Was able to install a hitch and wife allowed me to pick up a Kuat Sherpa 2.0.
I get super sketched out putting my bike on a rack, guess I have been spoiled the last 5 years. Anyways, I have heard stories of exhaust ruining wheels. Does this look like enough clearance or do I need to get the attachment to raise the rack. Will be driving to Dallas in a week. 19 hours with a bike on the back.

Old 04-26-24, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,852 Times in 3,344 Posts
Not high enough for my steep driveway. You'd be dragging if you tried to go up. And you probably plow the asphalt in the road if you tried to back out with it. Bikes will be fine though as long as the hitch doesn't start to bend .
Old 04-26-24, 09:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,815 Posts
Don't have an answer for you, but now you've got me worriedly wanted to check my clearance.

Old 04-26-24, 10:25 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Iride01
Not high enough for my steep driveway. You'd be dragging if you tried to go up. And you probably plow the asphalt in the road if you tried to back out with it. Bikes will be fine though as long as the hitch doesn't start to bend .

Referencing the exhaust to rim clearance. I have a steep AF drive way as well, actually did okay today.
Old 04-26-24, 10:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,852 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Referencing the exhaust to rim clearance. I have a steep AF drive way as well, actually did okay today.
That's good then. Just means my drive might win the steep AF driveway award between the two of us! <grin>

I've have had cars that I can't even back out without dragging the back end. As well a bike rack on a Jeep Liberty that hit the road backing out until we got the offset attachment to make it not have so much so low sticking out from behind. Part of the issue is that on the road they just paved over the the existing asphalt several times without removing the old layer. And the crown on the road has gotten extreme for times it's approached from 90° as a driveway does.
Old 04-26-24, 11:24 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,679 Times in 789 Posts
Maybe go to the local auto parts store to see if you can find a pair of exhaust turn-down tips that will fit?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-26-24, 11:40 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
I think you'll be okay. Just to be safe, you could get a muffler shop to put turndown exhaust tips which would guarantee no heat issues. Wouldn't cost much either.

I'll add, as a sidenote, that I think you underestimate the interior space in a CX-5. Unless you've usually got people (kids or otherwise) in the back seat whenever you ride, fitting that bike inside without removing the wheels should be easy. I regularly fit my 61cm road bike in the back of my 2008 Impreza hatch with the back seats down and don't need to remove either of the wheel. The CX-5 has more space and is a bit longer, you can fit that bike in the back no problem with the seats down. Seats up, you might be able to get away with only removing the front wheel. What's preventing you from hauling it inside?
Old 04-26-24, 01:44 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Pantah
I think you'll be okay. Just to be safe, you could get a muffler shop to put turndown exhaust tips which would guarantee no heat issues. Wouldn't cost much either.

I'll add, as a sidenote, that I think you underestimate the interior space in a CX-5. Unless you've usually got people (kids or otherwise) in the back seat whenever you ride, fitting that bike inside without removing the wheels should be easy. I regularly fit my 61cm road bike in the back of my 2008 Impreza hatch with the back seats down and don't need to remove either of the wheel. The CX-5 has more space and is a bit longer, you can fit that bike in the back no problem with the seats down. Seats up, you might be able to get away with only removing the front wheel. What's preventing you from hauling it inside?

Seats down, this madone took the whole back of the car. Also, for Dallas, I’ll be there for 30 days so packing a bunch of stuff, plus my trainer. Bike will def not fit then.
Old 04-26-24, 02:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7049 Post(s)
Liked 11,095 Times in 4,740 Posts
Move the bike to the other tray, the one that's further aft. That'll give you at least another 20" or so away from the exhaust, if your rack is set up like mine.

Other option is to mount a set of old alloy-rim wheels while transporting the bike, and put the fancy cf wheels inside the car. Or just roll the dice.

Oh, I got your reference -- Kaut makes something to do what? Raise (vertically) everything? I would probably do that, just to be on the safe side.
Old 04-26-24, 07:12 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Koyote
Move the bike to the other tray, the one that's further aft. That'll give you at least another 20" or so away from the exhaust, if your rack is set up like mine.

Other option is to mount a set of old alloy-rim wheels while transporting the bike, and put the fancy cf wheels inside the car. Or just roll the dice.

Oh, I got your reference -- Kaut makes something to do what? Raise (vertically) everything? I would probably do that, just to be on the safe side.
Might just throw the alloy wheels on, and swap em when I get there. Thanks.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 04-26-24, 07:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked 3,212 Times in 1,694 Posts
ya I was gonna suggest the cheap alloy backup wheels route. That's what I do when transporting my TT bike, for example.
Old 04-26-24, 07:38 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by TMonk
ya I was gonna suggest the cheap alloy backup wheels route. That's what I do when transporting my TT bike, for example.

Kind of a PITA, but would be pissed if I got to Dallas and my wheels were toast. Just hope the tires that are one the allow wheels will actually fit the emonda, that might be a problem.
Old 04-26-24, 09:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked 3,212 Times in 1,694 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Kind of a PITA, but would be pissed if I got to Dallas and my wheels were toast. Just hope the tires that are one the allow wheels will actually fit the emonda, that might be a problem.
swapping wheels is not a PITA! maybe slightly more so now in the era of thru-axle, but still, its pretty EZ and fast