Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Handlebar modifications

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Handlebar modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-22, 09:27 AM
Allan in T.Dot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Handlebar modifications

I am coming from a traditional mountain bike so I am used to the forward flexed (versus upright) posture. I am looking into folding bikes atm. for ease of multi-modal transportation to work. I am always concerned about seated posture so that it is not a huge adjustment but also allows for a lower centre of gravity that I am used to but also gives me a bit more leg room (I'm 6'2"). It is my understanding that folding bikes don't have the traditional stem but the handlebars are typically rotated around during the folding process. Would y'all recommend switching the handlebar with one that allows for a more flexed seated posture or even using bar ends? A quick google search and the example I can give is a Spank Spike 800 race bar for reference.
Old 04-30-22, 12:35 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
I use a 54 flat bar with ergon gp2 grips on my folder.
i have a 44/25deg flared on my gravel which similar wrist width.

I used to ride a folder with 48 bars as it was easier in traffic.
Old 04-30-22, 01:36 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
I'm about 5'10", been commuting on folding bikes since 2013 or so.
The solutions that I've been using to convert folding stem with usage of regular ahead stem has been long in the trials.
My first was a Bike Friday Tikit with 130mm stem:

Then a 16" Citizen Tokyo with 135mm stem:

Tokyo #2:

Currently, I've been riding a $145, 20" Sundeal folding bike with disc brakes that seems to have unusual long reach.
Old 04-30-22, 07:01 PM
Allan in T.Dot

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fentuz
I use a 54 flat bar with ergon gp2 grips on my folder.
i have a 44/25deg flared on my gravel which similar wrist width.

I used to ride a folder with 48 bars as it was easier in traffic.
Interesting! I'm not a fon on the flared handlebars as it puts me too low and I don't feel as if I have the same control. Same with the Ergon GP2 grips or the like.
Old 04-30-22, 07:02 PM
Allan in T.Dot

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Very interesting. There is no way I can afford a Bike Friday bike. What I didn't know was that you can put a stem on a folding bike - it doesn't interfere with the folding process?

Originally Posted by cat0020
I'm about 5'10", been commuting on folding bikes since 2013 or so.
The solutions that I've been using to convert folding stem with usage of regular ahead stem has been long in the trials.
My first was a Bike Friday Tikit with 130mm stem:

Then a 16" Citizen Tokyo with 135mm stem:

Tokyo #2:

Currently, I've been riding a $145, 20" Sundeal folding bike with disc brakes that seems to have unusual long reach.
Old 04-30-22, 11:50 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Allan in T.Dot
Interesting! I'm not a fon on the flared handlebars as it puts me too low and I don't feel as if I have the same control. Same with the Ergon GP2 grips or the like.
i mentioned the flared bar from the gravel as reference. So i run the same stem length on gravel and dahon mini velo but the flat are 54. More it not good less does not give as much control.

on current dahon folder, 54 too; more would allow too much torque on the stem hinge.
for confort setting, I run a syntace stem like dahon speed pro/pro TT or tern verge x11 but there are alternative like this:
https://foldingbike.biz/epages/7665e...STROTATESTEM26

Old 05-01-22, 07:30 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
Few different tiller I've tried..

One on the right is the one I've used for Aheadstem conversion.
Once the tiller is folded, the bike still folds to a compact size for storage or transport,
As long as you're not try to walk the bike half-folded with seatpost extended to steer the bike, which I do sometimes..
I tend to keep the handlebar width at minimum to allow better travels between car mirrors in NYC metro traffic.

I've also extended the reach of my micro folding ebike:

I also tried the adapter option, but it didn't offer enough extension for my needs.