Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Rack for Motobecane Track

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-11, 12:48 AM
jpmagikx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

First, I am excited to be in these forums because I have just purchased a cool new bike that I know I will have a lot of fun riding. I am relatively new to biking (been going at it a few months), but only on a casual level (i.e. not racing or anything). In fact, bike-riding for me right now is purely for commuting purposes, but I'd like to make it into something I can really get joy out of too. Okay, secondly, if this is the wrong place to ask what I'm about to ask, please let me know, and I'll gladly ask it in the appropriate place.

Now, for my question. I have just purchased from BikesDirect.com a black Motobecane Track. I wanted to try fixed gear/single speed, as I never really used gears on my old bike, plus the Track is sleek, lightweight, and overall a cool-looking bike. I know that I perhaps shouldn't have gotten a track bike for my purposes (really just riding around in the city, to and from home, groceries, etc), but, now that I already have, I want to make the best of it. I feel that having a rack of some sort to carry my everyday belongings (backpack/bag and whatever else I happen to have with me) would be super useful.

Big HOWEVER: I have found out after the fact (sigh) that the Motobecane Track lacks eyelets of any kind for supporting...anything. This means racks as well. I hadn't really thought of that when I purchased the bike (the eyelets I mean). Anyway, my roommate, who also has a fixie, has a CETMA 5-rail, which looks really awesome, but 1) it's a little pricey and 2) it sounds like the wait times to get one can get pretty long.

So I was wondering, if this is the correct place to be asking this, what options are there for a rack (preferably front, but I'm not totally opposed to rear) for a track bike with no eyelets? I'd prefer some kind of rack that mounts onto the wheel skewer because that seems the most secure, but I'd like all of your opinions on the matter. Note: I would only be carrying backpacks with some books maybe and a laptop, the occasional groceries, and of course beer . In other words, nothing extreme.

If you all have any input on what kinds of racks I should take a look at (specific models that fit my described needs would be amazing), I'd really appreciate it. I've spend the last 2 days looking at racks and reviews, but it all comes down to the fact that my bike doesn't have the mounts necessary for most racks out there.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input. Much appreciated.
Old 12-27-11, 01:01 AM
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First of all, welcome to BFSSFG and congrats on your purchase of the Motobecane!

There are ways to add racks to bikes without eyelets by using adapters such as the ones found here: https://www.bikebagshop.com/rack-acce...?sort=name_asc .
I'm not sure about getting one that would be compatible with a non quick release wheel though. I've never had to deal with adding racks to a track bike but I'm sure someone else here has.

For rack recommendations I'd say to ask in the touring or commuting subforums since not many of us in the SS/FG have racks.
Old 12-27-11, 01:36 AM
jpmagikx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks for the advice and for the welcome . I'll try asking in those forums tomorrow (too tired now). Hm, maybe I shouldn't even get a rack? I mean it'd be useful, but I suppose it's not necessary...oh the decisions...
Old 12-27-11, 01:41 AM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you have issues supporting one, I'd say to get a nice bag. A reason for buying that bike was that it was sleek and lightweight. Racks and panniers are going to eliminate those features. Plus, a bag is useful for things besides biking.

In any case, welcome. Thanks for having a first post that wasn't stupid.
Old 12-27-11, 01:58 AM
jpmagikx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point. Also, my thinking is that the fewer the parts on the bike that can go wrong, the better. A good, bike-friendly bag might not be such a bad idea. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-27-11, 02:06 AM
jimmytango
Hi, I'm Bryan.

Bikes: 2010 Focus Mares

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what we are here for. Well, that and giving the new people tons of hazing. Just wait, it's coming.
Old 12-27-11, 08:56 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Liked 767 Times in 432 Posts
Also, you could drill and tap 5mm bolt holes in the dropouts to support the bottom on the rack and use p-clips to attach it to the seatstays. Most of the load is on the bottom at the dropouts, so that's where you need something that is strong and secure. The seatstay mounts just stabilize the rack, so they don't need to be very strong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0943.jpg (98.8 KB, 15 views)
IMGP0939.jpg (98.4 KB, 10 views)
IMGP1311.jpg (100.0 KB, 13 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 12-27-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-27-11, 12:20 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drill++. Just make sure you use a drift punch first so you don't ruin your paint.
Old 12-27-11, 12:56 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are also several rear racks that are designed for disc/v-brakes that do not require eyelets or drilling. Most have very simple clamping system that attach them to the seat stays.
Old 12-27-11, 01:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,472 Times in 1,970 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmytango
Unless you have issues supporting one, I'd say to get a nice bag. A reason for buying that bike was that it was sleek and lightweight. Racks and panniers are going to eliminate those features. Plus, a bag is useful for things besides biking.
A bag is a good option provided what you need to carry is relatively light and the distance relatively short. The more weight you carry and the longer distance you need to carry it, the more your butt gets hammered into the seat. Using a rack lets the bike carry the weight rather than your butt.
Old 12-27-11, 01:57 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and there's also the Salsa Rack-Lock seat post clamp, which can give you another spot to attach the stabilizer arms.

Old 12-27-11, 03:25 PM
jpmagikx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the response everyone. I'll consider all the options and assess whether or not I really need a rack for my purposes.