Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

To anyone who lives in Vancouver, BC area, how do your intersections work?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 01:55 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Okay, so I'm visiting Vancouver and I normally reside in Toronto.

There are several quirks with the Vancouver intersections, compared to what I've experienced in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatchewan and I'm going to rant about how ridiculous I think some of these implementations are.

1. Roundabouts - Okay, this is easy enough, traffic in the circle have right of way, same as much of UK.

2. Blinking green lights - This means "advanced left turn" in Ontario, but something like "has a pedestrian activated crosswalk" in BC. Okay, now this is stupid, since Ontario had implemented this first, and having two different meanings in the same country is confusing. Granted, I think ontario should change their blinking green to arrow lights, but it's still quite annoying that there's no consistency in the same country.

3. Traffic lights WITH stop signs. What the hell is the point of this? How the hell am I supposed to know when the light changes if I have no lights facing me? What, is the city trying to save some money on lighting? What if that stop sign were obstructed? It's super dangerous that there's no high visibility traffic sign at these intersections.

4a. Two-way stop signs where 4-way stop signs should be used. There's a ton of these. Parked cars and trucks obstructing visibility through the intersection, yet some moron thought this was a good idea?

4b. Poor visibility of stop signs. Seriously, you'd have to be a local to know where some of them are, because sometimes you get a two-way stopping you and sometimes you get a two-way that does not. The fact that some of them have poor visibility does not help.

Why yes, I'm super pissed off that I unintentionally ran a stop sign.
Old 11-14-12, 02:50 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like you've been using the Greenway and 10th Ave. bike routes.
Old 11-14-12, 03:36 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
2. Blinking green lights - This means "advanced left turn" in Ontario, but something like "has a pedestrian activated crosswalk" in BC. Okay, now this is stupid, since Ontario had implemented this first, and having two different meanings in the same country is confusing. Granted, I think ontario should change their blinking green to arrow lights, but it's still quite annoying that there's no consistency in the same country.
And it's not even that francophone Canada disagrees with anglophone Canada. I found this just, well, bizarre.