Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage bike deserves vintage watch

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage bike deserves vintage watch

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 03:04 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks for all of the compliments on my Sky Chief guys!

DD - Yeah, the case is in mint condition, but for some reason nearly all the Sky Chiefs I've seen have immaculate or at least clean cases. The fading lume on the numerals seem to be common among these watches. I've considered re-luming, but the watch is original and likely around 60-70 years old, so the patina will stay. I believe that my watch might have been worn by an AF pilot during WW2, so I wouldn't want to ruin that history!

As for wind-up accuracy, my Sky Chief happens to be very accurate and it has the longest duration wind-up I've ever seen. It has the Venus 178 movement, which Breitling and Heuer also used and made popular. Sky Chiefs came with a Valjoux movement to. I would put this watch up against any quartz or auto as far as accuracy goes. It's been my experience that wind-ups can be very accurate. I own a Benrus chronometer also, and it is also very accurate. A chronometer is a wind-up or automatic watch that was vigorously tested for accuracy and if it passed the rigorous testing it was then certified by the COSC in Switzerland and given the name chronometer.

As far as riding my bike with a vintage watch, I wouldn't do it. They have a lot of moving parts, all of which need to work together for accuracy. They can be a bit fragile to, when compared with quartz...
Old 12-15-13, 04:08 PM
KerryP

Bikes: '64 Varsity, '69 Varsity, '71 Varsity, '71 Super Sport, '72 Super Sport, PX10 times 4, '72 Paramount, '73 Sports Tourer, '73 Paramount '77 Paramount, two NOS Pros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Thanks for all of the compliments on my Sky Chief guys!

DD - Yeah, the case is in mint condition, but for some reason nearly all the Sky Chiefs I've seen have immaculate or at least clean cases. The fading lume on the numerals seem to be common among these watches. I've considered re-luming, but the watch is original and likely around 60-70 years old, so the patina will stay. I believe that my watch might have been worn by an AF pilot during WW2, so I wouldn't want to ruin that history!

Truly sensational. Iwouldn’t touch the lume either.

AF orAAF? During the war air US air poweroperated as the United States Army Air Forces (excluding Navy and Marine aviation). My dad’s branch so he might have sensitized me to that. He considered himself as “in the Army” but currentday Air Force personnel seemed to think he was one of their own later in life. I guess these days most would have no idea what the USAAF if you called it out as such.

Last edited by KerryP; 12-15-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 05:46 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Right. The US Air Force wasn't even extant, until after the war.

I wouldn't wear that particular watch while riding either.
Old 12-15-13, 05:48 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Mine are much less high-end than y'all's, but I like 'em anyway.

The Zodiac was a college graduation gift from my grandfather to my father in 1970, and from my father to me in 1996.

The Pobeda is a cheapie for everyday banging around. Not sure how old it is -- I think they made the same model for the whole second half of the 20th century!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zodiac and pobeda.jpg (91.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-15-13, 07:22 PM
KerryP

Bikes: '64 Varsity, '69 Varsity, '71 Varsity, '71 Super Sport, '72 Super Sport, PX10 times 4, '72 Paramount, '73 Sports Tourer, '73 Paramount '77 Paramount, two NOS Pros

Since a few off topic pieces have been well received, I’ll add two. The Doxa 8 Day is their self-tribute to their vintage automotive dash clock. It’d be appropriate as a bar mounted clock on my bikes considering the speeds I obtain. The pocket watch is my “watch zero.” It’s the first watch I’ve owned that cost more than $25. My great uncle purchased it and wore it daily as an architect working in Chicago. His widow then passed it to my father. Dad surprised me by giving it to me after I finished grammar school.
Attached Images
DSCN0811.jpg (53.1 KB, 15 views)
DSCN0816.jpg (68.8 KB, 17 views)
DSCN0817.jpg (61.7 KB, 15 views)
DSCN0820.jpg (69.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-16-13, 06:39 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 338 Posts
Awesome - and remember - pocket watches also adhere to the n+1 principle, and they're easier to hide....
Old 12-16-13, 07:35 PM
KerryP

Originally Posted by markk900
and they're easier to hide....

Made me think of Pulp Fiction, ouch.....
Old 12-16-13, 08:32 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh wow, I didn't know we were doing old Swiss watches. This one has an awesome looking blue finish, on the hands, but you can only see the blue at a certain angle, otherwise it looks yellow-ish. Going by the Incabloc & the Waterproof markings, it's probably from the 50s, or possibly earlier. The inside of the caseback has that fancy swirled brushed look, like Rolexes & other nicer ones. Wyler was a very high end watch, back in "the day", whenever that was.
Attached Images
055 (Medium).jpg (100.0 KB, 17 views)
058 (Medium).JPG (99.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-17-13, 09:36 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Without slogging through all 207 comments, I'll simply suggest that it has to do with special relativity.

Old 12-17-13, 10:44 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Here are a couple of more watches from my Benrus collection -

Here is my 39 jewel Benrus. Yes, 39 jewels is far more than necessary for a nice running watch, but the watchmakers were in a jewel war to woo buyers of the time, so they went to ridiculous lengths at times. Classic looking dress watch -

One of the first and best selling day/date watches ever made -

The "mystery dial". So named because the hour hand appears to float or be unattached to anything -

The old Benrus factory in Waterbury Ct.. Hard to believe looking at this that America once built the finest watches in the world. Elgin, Hamilton, Bulova, Waltham and Benrus ruled the market, not to mention employing tens of thousands of workers, and the Swiss were envious -

Old 12-17-13, 10:51 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
The old Benrus factory in Waterbury Ct.. Hard to believe looking at this that America once built the finest watches in the world. Elgin, Hamilton, Bulova, Waltham and Benrus ruled the market, not to mention employing tens of thousands of workers, and the Swiss were envious -

I know, right? Just like cycling used to be huge in this country back in the 20s and 30s - then we lost our way. Sad, really...

Love the lugs on the day/date and the mystery dial, too. Classics! Looks like you've got quite the collection of watches there - is your two-wheeled collection going to rival it one day?

DD
Old 12-17-13, 11:04 AM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I know, right? Just like cycling used to be huge in this country back in the 20s and 30s - then we lost our way. Sad, really...
Definitely a sad ending to what was really an all-American industry. The 70's really spelled the end for American watchmakers when the quartz movement did away with the highly complex wind-up and automatic movements.

Love the lugs on the day/date and the mystery dial, too. Classics! Looks like you've got quite the collection of watches there - is your two-wheeled collection going to rival it one day?

DD
Wow, don't I wish! Watches take up a lot less room than bikes do, so it's very unlikely the bike collection will rival my watch collection...
Old 12-17-13, 12:01 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by KerryP
Made me think of Pulp Fiction, ouch.....

Old 12-17-13, 12:03 PM
rootboy 

Definitely a sad ending to what was really an all-American industry. The 70's really spelled the end for American watchmakers when the quartz movement did away with the highly complex wind-up and automatic movements.
Kind of like digital has done for film cameras. My old Nikons aint worth sheit anymore. Aside a from a couple of fast lenses.
But, like my bikes from the same era, I still like them.
Old 12-30-13, 08:48 PM
jaicorra69

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seiko diver automatic 7002-7001 1980's.Bullet proof and can be found on E bay at a good price.I own two.If you want one with power reserve,get an Orient Mako automatic.They are resilient!

Movado Museum 1980's,Omega Constellation auto 1954,Longiness Quarts 1985,Festina Chronometer 1990,2 Seiko divers 7002 1980s,Vostok Kommanderskie manual199?Orient Mako auto 2010.

Last edited by jaicorra69; 12-30-13 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 02:06 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
My Omega Professional Mark II matches my Gios and Cinelli
Old 01-05-14, 02:22 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
I had the watch jones for a number of years and use to read "Timezone" religiously. It was, at times, sort of like buying and selling commodities. I still have several nice Swiss and German mechanicals and several vintage Seikos, but this one gets the most use.

Old 01-06-14, 05:16 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by RFC
I had the watch jones for a number of years and use to read "Timezone" religiously.
"International Wristwatch" for me. I could probably finance another watch if I sold off my mid-to-late-90s collection of that rag

Btw, the Rolex Jubilee bracelet fell through - seller sent it FedEx and they couldn't figure out how to deliver it to the US Military Postal System and it was returned to the seller. Just got my refund through Paypal today. But I did receive the spare stainless steel bezel, aluminum "Pepsi" insert and click stop spring for the GMT today; seller described it as dirty and improperly stored, but really it only took a minute with a fine bristle toothbrush to remove the little bit of dusty crud from the inner serrations. The stainless steel bezel now looks mint, and if the red and blue of the aluminum insert is a slightly faded, well - patina is important in the watch world, too

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-06-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-06-14, 10:32 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 254 Posts
Attached Images
classic.jpg (33.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-06-14, 11:19 PM
KerryP

"International Wristwatch" for me. I could probably finance another watch if I sold off my mid-to-late-90s collection of that rag

Btw, the Rolex Jubilee bracelet fell through - seller sent it FedEx and they couldn't figure out how to deliver it to the US Military Postal System and it was returned to the seller. Just got my refund through Paypal today. But I did receive the spare stainless steel bezel, aluminum "Pepsi" insert and click stop spring for the GMT today; seller described it as dirty and improperly stored, but really it only took a minute with a fine bristle toothbrush to remove the little bit of dusty crud from the inner serrations. The stainless steel bezel now looks mint, and if the red and blue of the aluminum insert is a slightly faded, well - patina is important in the watch world, too

DD

Bummer about the Jubilee but there are lots of them out there.
Old 01-07-14, 03:11 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

^ Actually, I've seen a number of them, but it seems finding later models (80s and newer) recently is a little difficult, especially if they are in good condition. Lately I've seen a lot of them from the 60s and 70s.

I installed the spare Pepsi bezel last night - figured out how to do it from a short Youtube video

Before:

After:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-07-14 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 04:14 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
I like these a lot. Can't afford one but I like several of their watches.

Not unlike some of the Muhle Glashuttes
Old 01-07-14, 11:15 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 3,487 Times in 1,137 Posts
You people should be ashamed of yourselves! As if I didn't already spend too much time chasing after bike parts, this thread has opened up to me the Pandora's Box of fine watches. I don't want to know how many hours I've spent on ebay, watchmaker websites, and various watch aficionado forums since this thread started. I'm afraid I won't be dropping $3,000 on a watch anytime soon but there certainly are some nice watches that, with the sale of one bicycle, I could afford. I'm quite taken with some of the old art deco Longines watches. There have been a couple of Benrus SeaLords that have caught my eye, and Cuervo and Sobrinhos sold some pretty elegant watches up through the sixties that occasionally sell at auction for less than $500.

But the ever-practical side of me wants something that will last, something that I don't have to worry about getting wet while fishing, something that isn't too delicate to take backpacking or cross-country skiing. There are some 60's automatic Omega Seamasters that seem to fill the bill and can sometimes be found in my price range if they aren't too pristine. Especially the ones with the black dials are nice-looking watches too!

So here are my questions for those of you who know much more about watches than I. The only ones I have found for sale are on ebay and almost all the dealers have a disclaimer that old watches are delicate and that water resistance cannot be guaranteed. Are these older watches really that delicate simply because they have been around for several decades? Is it not possible to replace the seals that would keep them water tight? Can I have this work done at a watch repair shop? Any suggestions of places other than ebay where I should be looking for an old Seamaster that has been reconditioned?

Thanks,
Brent
Old 01-07-14, 11:26 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Also vintage Tissot SeaStars, their made by Omega but cost less and are fantastic watches plus they were the official timekeeper of most if not all pro bicycle races back in the day! their water resistant too, but like any used watch if you buy one you need to have it checked to make sure all the seals are good.
Old 01-07-14, 11:29 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by obrentharris
The only ones I have found for sale are on ebay and almost all the dealers have a disclaimer that old watches are delicate and that water resistance cannot be guaranteed. Are these older watches really that delicate simply because they have been around for several decades? Is it not possible to replace the seals that would keep them water tight? Can I have this work done at a watch repair shop? Any suggestions of places other than ebay where I should be looking for an old Seamaster that has been reconditioned?
It's true in varying degrees - the chances of keeping a vintage watch in great running, water-resistant order is in direct proportion to the availability of spare parts. What I would do is search Ebay for spare gasket availability for the type of watch you like and if there are plenty available, you might go that route. Any watchmaker worth his salt should be able to do basic things like replacing seals and gaskets.

There are dedicated watch websites just like BF; you should join one of those and I'm sure the guys/gals there would be able to steer you in the right direction.

I think a Seamaster would be a good value, and replacement parts should be fairly easy to find on the Web.

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.