Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Racing RAAM, Team4Mil

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Racing RAAM, Team4Mil

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 09:42 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Racing RAAM, Team4Mil

The folks over in the /33 already know about it, but thought I'd toss this out that I'm participating in RAAM this year. We're doing a fully military 8-person team. We represent every branch of service (even the Coast Guard - though they're now a DHS.. but still.. well.. that's confusing to me)

We're working to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project while we're at it, so this is my shill donation request. We came in way late on the fund raising, and with the corporate sponsorship climate being what it is this year, we're way off our mark right now. Will we make it this year? No telling, but with a lot of experience and many of the team members planning to stick through to next year's event, we're confident we can get there eventually.

More info on our team, the mission or our sponsors can be found here: https://www.team4mil.org

Right now, the 1st RAAM Armed Forces Cup is a competition between us and the UK RAF team coming over. We're feeling pretty good about our chances of taking the victory, but more importantly, we're feeling pretty good about supporting the Wounded Warrior Project and their mission.

Cheers,
VW
Old 04-23-10, 03:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Congrats ... I know several people who have participated in it. One ... who posts in the Long Distance forum ... has done it several times. He just keeps going back for more!

Post this in LD forum and see who else will be in it:
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...urance-Cycling
Old 04-23-10, 05:47 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck, Tom.
Old 04-23-10, 06:08 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very good cause. I'll throw in a donation myself.

Good chance for bf members to do some good besides bickering, whining, and hitching at each other.

This should be a sticky!!
Old 04-23-10, 08:25 AM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Any Seabees participating (I'm a CM2...)?

Thanks for doing this. I will be sure to contribute.
Old 04-23-10, 06:41 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No seabees this time around. Our Navy folks are a Capt (aviator) and a midshipman (USNA)

We're kinda scant on the enlisted folk. Just the two of us - one Army MSG, one of our local wounded warriors and good bike racer. And myself, USMC MSgt.
Old 04-24-10, 09:05 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
BF member Davidad is the mechanic for Amy Xu on her RAAM ride this year.

Here she is on a team practice run last week end.

https://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-24-10 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 09:24 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I think I'll stick this thread. It's a great cause and I have a soft spot in my heart for anyone crazy enough to do RAAM! I want to myself, after all.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-24-10, 03:54 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
If you don't beat those friggin stupid Limeys we'll never hear the end of it Nomad. I hope you realize this.

The Gauntlet has been Droped.
Old 04-24-10, 09:32 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Donation made Nomad. Hope you hit your goal for this worthy cause.
Old 04-24-10, 11:52 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ironically, I was just thinking about the RAAM today. Just donated, and I'll beat all of the bushes I can to raise awareness (and money) for you guys. Have a fast, safe race! We'll be looking forward to following your progress.
Old 04-25-10, 02:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Let's not forget that there are others here on this forum who have participated in the RAAM, and may be doing so again this year ... Homeyba and ronsmithjunior leap to mind. I believe both have done several of them.

There will be further discussion on the RAAM in the Long Distance forum as the time gets closer to the event.

Last edited by Machka; 04-25-10 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-25-10, 06:30 AM
Shayne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck Nomad.

Adam is my teammate here in Ohio, he can really go up hills, big power to weight in that kid. The team is helping through Adam, sponsor got involved too.
Old 04-26-10, 03:52 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the responses and to Tom for sticky-ing for me.

We rolled out to the W.Va / PA / MD roads and did a mini-camp this last weekend. There are a lot of dynamics involved in keeping riders on the road 24/7 that are just huge to keep track of. To top that off, all members of the crew/riders (except 1-2) are military or former military, so not taking charge of everything can be a challenge. You definitely get the sense that folks want to get their hands in everything.

That being said, we had a great weekend of riding. We worked primarily on rider/crew coordination and changeovers. We experienced issues of timing and mechanical failures. We rode in pairs to keep the number of rotations we could get done to a maximum and got a lot of great lessons learned.

There's a lot to learn riding down hill @ 40mph in the headlights of your follow vehicle in mountain roads, or uphill in the headlights of the vehicle without seeing an end to the mountain.

Shayne - Adam and I spent quite a bit of time on the road together. Hopefully he'll whine about how this old Marine took him up the mountains on challenge and not how he had to wait around for me on the climbs. We got some great, sustained climbing in that I'm definitely not used to anymore.

Tons more to look for on the event. You can follow more on us at our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8492082&ref=ts

I'll keep folks up to date as I can in and out of a ton of travel between now and the trip to the left coast.
Old 04-28-10, 06:52 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got to roll up to the White House today to ride with the Wounded Warriors in the area preparing for the Soldier Ride. What a fresh perspective on day to day problems, when these warriors are fighting totally separate rehabilitation efforts in the athletic activity that's a passion for me.

I got to meet Ted Wade and hear his story today. Knowing the challenges he has faced since he has started to rehabilitate his body and mind for normality is huge. Everything that's difficult for me takes a whole new meaning.

(obligatory "neat thing" for the day was being able to park my bike on the White House tennis courts and tromp through the South Lawn in my road shoes/cleats.
Old 05-07-10, 07:51 PM
bismillah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice
Old 05-10-10, 08:28 PM
UGASkiDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great cause and good luck....moolah sent!!
Old 05-12-10, 06:16 AM
tombailey
awaiting uci approval

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kevin Underhill at pre-reg has kindly agreed to donate the normal processing fee to the Project. You can donate easily at https://www.pre-reg.com/Users/RacerMa...=1&EventID=489.

Best of luck to you guys (though with a father and grandfather from the RAF I have two horses in this race).
Old 05-15-10, 09:37 PM
ellsworb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$$ Sent

Donation made. Quetsion 2: Could I buy a kit, and if so, would any of the proceeds go to the organization?
Old 05-17-10, 04:31 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 weeks to go, and the team is definitely getting the itch. There's a crazy amount of prep for 8 riders and 9 crew members: bikes, parts, food, RV, support vehicles, etc.

We continue to be encouraged by the support of individuals and organizations from all around the country. The riders are in the final run in to scouring route books, rider plans, and tactics. Support crew are working all sorts of logistic issues to get all the gear/people from around the country to Oceanside, across the country to Annapolis and then back out to all their respective hometowns.

We've finalized kit designs and are now selling those as well. Armedforcesgear.com has come on recently with great offers to assist us in both marketing our gear as well as a hefty clothing sponsorship.

Right now we're taking purchase requests on our own web site @ https://team4mil.org/store - final kit design isn't posted there with some late sponsor additions. All proceeds above cost go over to the cause.

We hope to be up and fully online with Armedforcesgear.com before RAAM.
Old 06-04-10, 09:08 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Dude, I can't believe it took me this long to see this. Good luck to you guys, its pretty incredible what you're doing (the what and the why).
Old 06-11-10, 05:21 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Me either. I just saw this thread. Good luck.
Old 06-12-10, 06:36 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the road for an early AM spin. Can't believe I'm actually racing RAAM starting today. We're in it to give the Team Type 1 guys a run for their money. RAAM leaderboard is here:

https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raa...&s_N_Race_ID=1

Team specific:
https://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raa...&s_N_Race_ID=1

Jure is already crushing the field!

Tweets from the road : @nomadvw (me), @team4mil (our team), (edited: whoops, RAAM officially doesn't have one)

They are putting up facebook updates though: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Race-A...1605092?ref=ts

Cheers and thanks for all the support!
Old 06-14-10, 11:20 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good luck TD!
Old 06-14-10, 01:35 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Reports from other teams are that Team4Mil's RV has had an accident. Non-life-threatening injuries but the team obviously cannot continue without vehicle support so it is abandoning. Best wishes to all for full and speedy recovery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.