Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 06:59 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmyke
Turkey Hill Country Classic CAT5

40km circuit -- 4 laps. The pace went hard from the whistle. I wanted to apply the lesson I learned at Farmersville and be diligent about monitoring possible breakaways and other moves in the peloton. About halfway through the first lap, a group of 4 snapped off the front. I was sitting at about 8th wheel at the time and watched them crawl away.

When they were about 100 yards ahead of me, I realized the group I was with wasn't going to kick it up any time soon to bridge. So, I jumped hard to try on my own. After about 20-30 seconds of hard pedaling, I made contact with the break. My first bridge! I think I may have waited too long to react (again), but I'm glad I at least reacted this time.

The 5 of us cranked along for a bit when a chap decided to step it up. He didn't make a huge effort to separate from us, so I think we were all confident he wouldn't go far. Then, we couldn't see him anymore. I asked everyone to organize to try to catch him -- if we didn't, we'd battle it out for 2nd place at the sprint.

We worked really well together, which was so fun! It was a really neat feeling to keep pushing each other. Unfortunately the chap managed to stay away, clinching 1st place. On the last lap, I knew if I pulled at the beginning of the last climb, I'd be in good position for the sprint. I did my pull and promptly went to the back to recover as much as possible.

About 300 yards from the line, I took off from 4th wheel with the hardest jump I could manage. As I passed my buddies, I realized the finish line was a lot further than I thought. I sat back in the saddle and tried to keep the power on as much as possible. I crossed the line, I looked behind and saw nobody had managed to answer my jump. Phew!

Took 2nd. The guy who got first is a TTing monster!

Lessons:
- Get better at gauging another rider's strength (is this possible with complete strangers?)
- Recognize valid breakaways sooner to keep bridging efforts limited to 15-20 seconds
- I need to maximize my strength (sprint) and minimize my weakness (1 minute power) more
- Be thinking constantly, never brainless pedaling
congrats, that's some good racing!
Old 05-03-10, 07:12 AM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
I had a great race today. Colt's Neck Circuit Race. Started out in kind of a crappy position, but my goal for today was to work on getting into/defending a good position throughout the race, and I totally achieved that. I found gaps in the middle, stayed on the wheel I had even when someone was bumping my knuckles, and took a good line through the turns.

I put in one pretty good attack (my teammate said it put the hurt on the field and judging by how slow they went once they caught me she was right--should've gone again!), it didn't stick, but it felt really good and I recovered well in the pack and probably should have tried another one, cause I had matches to burn.

I was near the front going into the final turn, started the uphill sprint, girl in the front went down and I slammed on the brakes, came to just about a standstill and somehow swerved around her without going down. Was way overgeared for the sprint by that point, but still passed someone for 7th. Very happy to be in the top 10 (and my teammate got 3rd!) and most of all happy that I raced smart and felt in control the whole time. Next time: more attacks!
That was a fun race yesterday! My teammate won. I was playing domestique.

I think your teammate put in one of the only attacks. I was concentrating on marking a certain rider from another team, and working on improving my ability to hold wheels and move through the field, so I wasn't even thinking about attacking.

I have no idea how the field avoid the girl who crashed in the middle of the pre-sprint hill. She went right and her bike went left and somehow everyone got around her safely.
Old 05-03-10, 07:14 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhillyRoadie
Hey, I actually raced with you, though I didn't know it. I was in a QCW jersey, Penn shorts. Congrats on finishing, not many did in that heat. Sadly my chain snapped the first time up the wall on lap 7, and that was it for me.
chain snapping on the wall ...yikes! too bad, but also, in a way you got lucky because you didnt have to climb it 5 more times

i'm not very familiar with the Eastern PA teams, other than the one with Ryan Dewald and Adam Farabaugh, those guys are really good ... and the PBR team, just because well, they're PBR. I'm on ABRT, green/white/blue and black. We're probably coming up for tours of lancaster co or millersburg (or is it ville, i can never remember).
Old 05-03-10, 07:22 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hurley.girl
That was a fun race yesterday! My teammate won. I was playing domestique.

I think your teammate put in one of the only attacks. I was concentrating on marking a certain rider from another team, and working on improving my ability to hold wheels and move through the field, so I wasn't even thinking about attacking.

I have no idea how the field avoid the girl who crashed in the middle of the pre-sprint hill. She went right and her bike went left and somehow everyone got around her safely.
Yes, that was a great race, I had a lot of fun and congrats to your teammate! What team are you on? Next time say hi, I'm the one with all the tattoos.

I think that was me that put in the attack on the second lap...light green jersey (still don't have my team kit!). Do you know why that girl went down? I VERY narrowly avoided her, scared the crap out of me. Bummer about the way the end of the 123 race played out too.
Old 05-03-10, 07:33 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
I'll also argue that until you've really dug in a in a race, you have no ****ing clue what your limits are
Yeah, and that eWang chart doesn't necessarily have much to do with reality, either. There's no way of knowing where you stand by just doing tests.
Old 05-03-10, 07:39 AM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that was a great race, I had a lot of fun and congrats to your teammate! What team are you on? Next time say hi, I'm the one with all the tattoos.

I think that was me that put in the attack on the second lap...light green jersey (still don't have my team kit!). Do you know why that girl went down? I VERY narrowly avoided her, scared the crap out of me. Bummer about the way the end of the 123 race played out too.
Ah, that was you in the green unmarked jersey. Nice attack. You chose a really good spot for it. A small group (maybe 8) actually got a nice gap over the rest of the field but no one else (myself included) was willing to do any work to maintain it.

I didn't notice the tattoos. My powers of observation need some work. I'm on Team EPS/CSS p/b Brielle Cyclery, aka Riptide Cycling. We have the black/red/blue kits.

From what I saw, two women bumped and one couldn't keep herself upright as a result.

And yes, the W 1,2,3 was crazy. I had 3 teammates in that race. Two really bad crashes, the "neutralized" sprint because the woman from our race laying in the road, and the re-do of the final 3K. At least the same woman won the sprint both times. I would have been pissed had I won a race and then lost in it in the "do-over". I had one teammate go down in one of the crashes. She was ok but spent the next hour helping one of the badly injured women. Other teammates were spectating and they ended up providing some help to the injured riders as well.
Old 05-03-10, 07:44 AM
timster
ɹǝʇsɯıʇ

Bikes: 2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turkey Hill Country Classic 3/4

This was the longest and most difficult race I've done. I really wasn't sure what to expect, so my goal was just to finish. Planned to sit in for the first half, then assess how I felt. Got bored after the first lap (out of nine) and went off the front for a little while. Quickly realized how stupid this was and fell back to the group.

We had to do Gamber Wall on the last three laps. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sure it was steep, but it was short, and everyone slowed way down at the top, giving me a great opportunity to recover.

There was always a group off the front, and there were two off the front at the finish. The bunch sprint at the end was hectic. I was in a good position, then a guy in front of me ran off the road just as we all started to sprint and I lost a few spots. Moved up a few spots for a solid group finish. I think I was maybe 15th or so. I was pleased.

Here are the numbers, just for fun, and because I'm proud of them

Code:
Entire workout (213 watts):
Duration:  	2:24:27
Work:      	1846 kJ
TSS:       	240.4 (intensity factor 0.999)
Norm Power:	280
VI:        	1.31
Pw:HR:      	1.29%
Pa:HR:      	2.43%
Distance:  	57.95 mi
		Min	Max	Avg
Power:       	0	1180	213 	watts
Heart Rate:  	138	190	176 	bpm
Cadence:     	30	186	92 	rpm
Speed:       	4.5	49.8	24.0 	mph
Pace         	1:12	13:25	2:30 	min/mi
Crank Torque:	0	1380	191 	lb-in
Old 05-03-10, 07:49 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NomadVW's intro to racing P1/2? MP Murad, 72 miles @ 92° for the first time of the year. Rolled into the race with one other teammate while Harley and NCVC fielded 9 and 7 riders respectively. Everyone else was 3 riders or less. Harley worked the field over like a champ, and by 60 miles in, and a lot of water pounded, the break was a guarantee to hold. Never did see the results from the race, but we probably lost half the field due to heat. My other teammate pulled out after lap 7 of 9. My wife said he came over and talked to her,

Him: "He'll probably pull off the next lap."
Her: "Nah, he'll finish."
Him: "He missed two bottles, and doesn't have one now. It's brutal out there."
Her: "Trust me, he'll finish."

Me: Field finish, about 7-8 lbs lighter

Sunday: Didn't plan on racing at all, but we've got two guys on top of the M35+ BAR, so off I went to the 35+ crit @ Bunny Hop. Rockin fun course, my job was to keep on Chuck. Isn't that a nice assignment? I held him for all but one attack, but the field shut that one down for me. Saroff shut their own break down, for the field sprint. Worked for one of the two teammates to protect him into the last lap and he rolled a 5th place. Should keep him on top of the BAR for now. Now to get these guys to learn to TT fast.

Everything from here on out this year is working for the team, and that's way more fun than scrounging for points for myself.

Cheers,
VW
Old 05-03-10, 07:52 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, that was you in the green unmarked jersey. Nice attack. You chose a really good spot for it. A small group (maybe 8) actually got a nice gap over the rest of the field but no one else (myself included) was willing to do any work to maintain it.

I didn't notice the tattoos. My powers of observation need some work. I'm on Team EPS/CSS p/b Brielle Cyclery, aka Riptide Cycling. We have the black/red/blue kits.

From what I saw, two women bumped and one couldn't keep herself upright as a result.

And yes, the W 1,2,3 was crazy. I had 3 teammates in that race. Two really bad crashes, the "neutralized" sprint because the woman from our race laying in the road, and the re-do of the final 3K. At least the same woman won the sprint both times. I would have been pissed had I won a race and then lost in it in the "do-over". I had one teammate go down in one of the crashes. She was ok but spent the next hour helping one of the badly injured women. Other teammates were spectating and they ended up providing some help to the injured riders as well.
Thanks dude. Yeah, I was in that group when we had the gap, and in retrospect I should have just gone to the front and picked up the pace. Next time!

Dude, one of your teammates (I think--light blue kit?) was totally out to get me! Haha maybe it was you? Lots of knuckle-bumping and shoulder-leaning and hip-touching and crazy lines through corners...we both kept it upright though so for me it was good practice staying calm during contact in a race situation.

I hope all those who crashed are (relatively) okay, what a mess.
Old 05-03-10, 07:54 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^nice. everyone keeps an eye on chuck. especially in the 35+. in the p12 everyone keeps an eye on him too, but battley has other cards to play and does.
Old 05-03-10, 07:56 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timster

This was the longest and most difficult race I've done. I really wasn't sure what to expect, so my goal was just to finish. Planned to sit in for the first half, then assess how I felt. Got bored after the first lap (out of nine) and went off the front for a little while. Quickly realized how stupid this was and fell back to the group.

We had to do Gamber Wall on the last three laps. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sure it was steep, but it was short, and everyone slowed way down at the top, giving me a great opportunity to recover.

There was always a group off the front, and there were two off the front at the finish. The bunch sprint at the end was hectic. I was in a good position, then a guy in front of me ran off the road just as we all started to sprint and I lost a few spots. Moved up a few spots for a solid group finish. I think I was maybe 15th or so. I was pleased.

Here are the numbers, just for fun, and because I'm proud of them
good job. one of the big differences in the P12 vs. the 3/4 is at the top of that wall. everytime we went over it, the guys on the front drilled it putting into the gutter on the right. lots of gaps and lopping off the back during that critical stretch.
Old 05-03-10, 07:57 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^
Doesn't help when Fuentes and Chuck went 1/2 in both the P/1/2/3 and the 35+ at Bunny Hop.
Old 05-03-10, 07:58 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I noticed a significant lack of MDCatV racing this weekend.
Old 05-03-10, 08:09 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
And I noticed a significant lack of MDCatV racing this weekend.

Originally Posted by MDcatV
i did the turkey hill country classic in lancaster pa on saturday. field of 125 for the P12. it was temps in high 80s, felt like 100 deg. first hot race of the year, it was brutal. i found it a very aggressive fast race, and i even mixed it up off the front a few times.

it ended with a group of 6 getting away about 50 mi. in. I wasnt in it and started cramping with about 30 mi. to go, but i gritted through it and was able to stay near the front and finish with the main field. although no result to speak of, I was actually satisfied and gained confidence from my performance. kind of lame, but true.
team chose turkey hill over murad. no legs for bunny hopping on sunday.
Old 05-03-10, 08:10 AM
jt_moran

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wells Ave Crit. 'C' Race (Cat. 5)

My first ever race yesterday. Short crit., 15 laps around an oval with a cat 5 field of about 50. I managed to avoid 2 spectacular sounding crashes, both of which required ambulances, and stay with the pack until the very last sprint. Finished about 15s behind the main pack. Felt really good holding with the pack the entire race, even took a (very brief) pull! I know that average speed is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but still shocked to see 24.4 mph on the speedo at the end of the race.

Bitten by the bug...
Old 05-03-10, 08:11 AM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, one of your teammates (I think--light blue kit?) was totally out to get me! Haha maybe it was you? Lots of knuckle-bumping and shoulder-leaning and hip-touching and crazy lines through corners...we both kept it upright though so for me it was good practice staying calm during contact in a race situation.
Definitely not me. I'm not a fan of intentional contact. Hopefully not my teammate. We're a more black overall with accents of red and bright blue with a fade-out to lighter blue/white on the body. See page 175 of the race suffering pics thread for a look at our kit.
Old 05-03-10, 08:12 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MDCatV - Missed the report above! Rockin. I kinda wish we'd done Turkey Hill, but it's all good. Now to see if Rich Ruoff can continue to get fields the rest of the year without permitting his races.
Old 05-03-10, 08:42 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely not me. I'm not a fan of intentional contact. Hopefully not my teammate. We're a more black overall with accents of red and bright blue with a fade-out to lighter blue/white on the body. See page 175 of the race suffering pics thread for a look at our kit.
Okay cool, that was not you/your team! Man, every time I would get away from that girl she would find me and start jostling me. Or maybe she just sucks at riding her bike. Not cool at all.

Glad to hear that your team took the win though, and I think I finished ahead of her.
Old 05-03-10, 08:42 AM
forrest_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
good on you for going out! I was sorry to miss the climbing fun (that course looks great to me), but they didn't have an immaturity category that i fit in.
That course was evil (in a good way). None of the climbs is that long, but all of them seem to end with a short flat, then a final kicker where the strong guys would always attack. Perfect for flicking somebody like me who is barely hanging on in the first place...
Old 05-03-10, 08:58 AM
cmyke
Look KG386i

Bikes: 2004 Look KG386i

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Code:
		Min	Max	Avg
Great job! I'm glad I didn't have to do the wall in CAT5!

By the way, where do you get this specific power number readout? I've been looking all over PowerAgent and TrainingPeaks and I can't find it. I hope it's not a WKO+ only thing. Don't want to shell out for yet another app
Old 05-03-10, 09:01 AM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I was one of the few HL racers at Signal Hill Crit on Sunday. The cat 4 race probably only had about 40-45 racers which was a start contrast to the last few races I've done with 80+. As mentioned, the course is a flat, clockwise, industrial park crit. The 4s race was uneventful to say the least. I made it my goal to stay int he front 3rd or so of the pack as much as possible. With a field this small, it wasn't too hard to stay up there. The race was slow for the most part until the last 2 laps or so. There were a few attempted breakaways but they always got caught. I did make a stab at a $25 prime but I jumped too early pulling 3 guys with me. I pulled them around turns 3 and 4 and about 50 meters out they made their move. No prime for me. Overall it was an ok race. The road is blah and this is definitely a "bring your trainer if you have one to warm up" race. Surrounding area is less than desirable for a street warm-up.

Cheers

Rob
Old 05-03-10, 09:11 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Code:
		Min	Max	Avg
IF of .999 for 2 ½ hrs means your FTP is set WAY too low.
Old 05-03-10, 09:17 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
... i tried to get away from this guy but he hung on and hung on and finally launched around me and took 15th by a tire width. i collapsed on the ground and stared at the sky for a couple of minutes. i left it all out there and felt pretty awesome. anytime i am well matched w someone who pushes me to go as hard as i can, i'm happy, even if it comes up a little short.

so great day for a race... great weather. Fort Collins had at least 2 podiums that i know of.

feel entirely pleased with what is actually only my second mass start as a licensed racer.
final results show me "winning" this sprint. coulda sworn he took it but i guess they have cameras...
Old 05-03-10, 09:18 AM
timster
ɹǝʇsɯıʇ

Bikes: 2011 Focus Whistler // 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 // 2009 Scattante XRL TT // 1993 Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
IF of .999 for 2 ½ hrs means your FTP is set WAY too low.
It's currently set to 280. But considering my NP was 280 for 2.5 hours, it's probably much higher than that...

Originally Posted by cmyke
Great job! I'm glad I didn't have to do the wall in CAT5!

By the way, where do you get this specific power number readout? I've been looking all over PowerAgent and TrainingPeaks and I can't find it. I hope it's not a WKO+ only thing. Don't want to shell out for yet another app
It's a WKO+ thing. Shell out the money. It's worth it.
Old 05-03-10, 09:20 AM
MrClyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Luis Rey race yesterday, Cat 5B

3 laps, 14 or so miles per lap. Stayed with the pack down the hill, managed to maintain gaps to the turnaround, even felt recovered from the efforts. Coming back to the climb back up to the start/finish, I moved to the front and got up to 4th, thinking if I started the climb near the front, I had a better chance. Still wasn't enough. Got dropped on the climb. OTB laps 2-3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.